NEW : Bank of the Black Monks OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: NEW : Bank of the Black Monks OXP

Post by spara »

A new version (2.2) is up.

- A one time welcome screen when entering a monastery for the first time. Text by LittleBear.
- Added further text tweaks by Diziet Sma.
- Added a naming scheme for defense ships. Word lists by LittleBear.
- Renamed "Black Monk Gunship"s to be "Holy Avenger Mark II"s. That way they fit better into the game.
- Renamed "Blackmonk Station Defence" to be "Holy Defender Mark I"s. Again they fit better into the game.

I have no idea where UK_Eliter's oxp-standards.error is coming from as this oxp does not use mission screen in flight. Maybe it's from some other oxp?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

A new version (2.2.1) is up.

* Added a missing semicolon to the shipdata.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

Sorry to revive this thread from the dead... I'm just wondering if I'm completely stupid, or if I'm missing anything. So if interpret the Monasteries correctly, they should show up in TL11+ and Confederacy+ systems. I am in one, and do not find a monastery.

So... is there a special criteria as to where these monasteries are? I'm kinda in need of some credits.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

pleiadian wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:29 pm
Sorry to revive this thread from the dead... I'm just wondering if I'm completely stupid, or if I'm missing anything. So if interpret the Monasteries correctly, they should show up in TL11+ and Confederacy+ systems. I am in one, and do not find a monastery.

So... is there a special criteria as to where these monasteries are? I'm kinda in need of some credits.
I would say they are in TL12 and higher in democracies and corporaties.
pleiadian
Deadly
Deadly

Post by pleiadian »

Code: Select all

blackmonk_main.js, line 33, _setMonkSystems:

if (other.government >= 6 && other.techlevel >= 11 && !other.sun_gone_nova)
I then assume the numbers for govs and TLs start at 0, not at 1. Good to know :) Thanks Spara.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re:

Post by Cholmondely »

LittleBear wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:04 pm
Feudal sounds perfect. I seem to remember reading somewhere that in the middle ages, Monks did lend money but were not allowed to charge interest. If you failed to repay on time though, your lands were forfeit to the Church.
Azo of Bologna (the famous glossator) redefined usury as unfair interest. For Azo you can lend money and charge a fair interest (c. 2%/month) but more than that is usury (ribbit/neshekh in the Bible) which is forbidden (Exodus §22, Leviticus §25, Deuteronomy §23). This redefinition was not accepted by everybody, but presumably was the logic of the Lombard bankers when they came to England and started lending to King Edward I around 1290. The various orders of monks had different views on the subject, such as the Franciscans who set up the Monte di Pietà to lend dosh to the poor when they were waiting for the next harvest. Some charged a little interest, some charged no interest at all.

The treatment of interest/usury varies widely between Christianity, Judaism & Islam.

They found ancient papyri in Egypt which indicated that the going rate 2,000 years ago was again around 2%/month!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Milo »

2% 2,000 years ago, adjusted for inflation, would well exceed today's credit card APR rates, I suppose...