NEW : Bank of the Black Monks OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: NEW : Bank of the Black Monks OXP

Post by Wildeblood »

Switeck wrote:
Minor typo in equipment.plist:
<string>A device designed by the Assassins Guild for the Bank of the Black Monks. The unit transmits singles though sub-space allowing ships with the appropriate receivers to infallibly track the marked ship.</string>

It should probably be "transmits signals" rather than "transmits singles".
Of course, the reason no-one has ever bothered to fix that typo is because the equipment is awarded automatically by script, and never appears in the F3 screen, so no-one ever sees the description. :wink:

Also, some flippant posts about a certain has-been pop musician appear to have been mysteriously deleted from this thread. :D
Smivs
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Smivs »

Wildeblood wrote:
Also, some flippant posts about a certain has-been pop musician appear to have been mysteriously deleted from this thread. :D
I think that was a Police sting :wink:
Commander Smivs, the friendliest Gourd this side of Riedquat.
psuamier
Above Average
Above Average

Post by psuamier »

Hi,

I saw a problem in the log file (which I often check to make sure that there aren't any obvious dependencies or something else missing):

20:43:40.440 [files.notFound]: ----- WARNING: Could not find texture file "beatletex.png".
(Repeated several times)

As I have a Linux system the files are case sensitive.

The file is in the Textures folder. I did not rename the original but only created a link as I haven't checked if the file is used with the original .PNG in another place:

Code: Select all

cd ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Shady_blackmonks_v1.46.oxp/Textures
ln -s beatletex.PNG beatletex.png
This should solve the missing file problem temporarily until a new version is available from the author. Alternatively you can of course create a copy of the file ("cp <txt>.PNG <txt>.png")

Regards
CMDR: suamor - Space Trader and Explorer - Founding member of the Elite
Elite Dangerous Beta Tester
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

"beatletex.png" is a texture that Little Bear used for some of his satellites. The texture was also present in random hits and probably in assassains.oxp. That asks for conflicts when the texture is updated in one. In the very last version1.4.17 of random hits, all the textures have got an unique name.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

psuamier wrote:

cd ~/.Oolite/AddOns/Shady_blackmonks_v1.46.oxp/Textures
ln -s beatletex.PNG beatletex.png
This should solve the missing file problem temporarily until a new version is available from the author. Alternatively you can of course create a copy of the file ("cp <txt>.PNG <txt>.png")

Regards
Thanks for this, psuamier.. I have the same error in my logs, but hadn't gotten around to tracking that one down yet. I've followed your suggestion and created a link to the original texture.

(However, it should be noted that not every Linux user has their AddOns folder in the same location. For instance, on my system, the texture that needs fixing is at:)

~/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns/Shady_blackmonks_v1.46.oxp/Textures
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
psuamier
Above Average
Above Average

Post by psuamier »

Just remembered that the Wiki itself has no consistent recommendation concerning the AddOns path. For me it's naturally that all user-made changes are in the dot ".xyz" directories and not in the "system" or app directories (like often in older Win (XP) systems). I'd recommend this way as you can easily "replace" (read as "make it a backup") when a new OoLite release is installed.
CMDR: suamor - Space Trader and Explorer - Founding member of the Elite
Elite Dangerous Beta Tester
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Not sure if this is maintained any more, but I found a bug that should be corrected. In shipdata.plist in definitions of debtors (1-9) reads something like this:

like_ship = "cobra3-alternate";
	model = "cobra3_redux1.dat";
That model definition overrides the model from like_ship and produces some interesting results. With Griff's ships you will get a core Cobra model with Griff's Cobra's gun entity.

Easy to fix. Just remove those model lines.
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

spara wrote:
To make it easier, they're lines 702 & 703.
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Diziet Sma wrote:
spara wrote:
To make it easier, they're lines 702 & 703.
Oh, I'm being vague again. Remove that model line from all debtors (debtor1, debtor2, ... , debtor9).
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've got blackmonks (shader version) hosted over at my bloxx account, so the fix is just to remove the model = *shipname.dat* lines from the debtor ships?
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Griff wrote:
I've got blackmonks (shader version) hosted over at my bloxx account, so the fix is just to remove the model = *shipname.dat* lines from the debtor ships?
Yes. That will fix it.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

OK, updated the shady_blackmonks oxp with spara's bugfix, it's now at v1.47, Thanks for the bugfix spara!
Whilst I was there I compressed the textures with pngout and shaved about 50kb off the download size! :D
Dr.Tripsa
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr.Tripsa »

had a strange event today with this OXP, a poor wandering kraite crossed my laser and began to cry that the Monks were attacking him! Very strange indeed, unless I have un-knowingly joined the order!
No, I'm not a Trumble... that's a speciest and offensive remark!
~munch~
What?.... I'm hungry.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

Dr.Tripsa wrote:
had a strange event today with this OXP, a poor wandering kraite crossed my laser and began to cry that the Monks were attacking him! Very strange indeed, unless I have un-knowingly joined the order!
Took a quick peek at the code and it seems that you have crossed a deptor ship that has escaped from the Black Monk gunships :shock: ! Those pleas are coming from it's death_actions.

Poor chap, out of the frying pan, into the fire. It's a harsh Ooniverse out there.
Dr.Tripsa
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Dr.Tripsa »

Actually though that makes me wish the Monks would hire out , ahem, Holy Default Inquisitors. ;)
No, I'm not a Trumble... that's a speciest and offensive remark!
~munch~
What?.... I'm hungry.