Anyone want to write scripts using JavaScript?

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

dajt wrote:
Textured planets is dead - apparently there are better ways to get the same, or better, results.
Sorry to hear that, the standard ones look so unimpressive. :cry:

I did eventually want to use a structure to hold more than just the moons and gas giants, maybe include rock hermits, trading posts and even nebula. Only the ships should be found in different places at different times (just my own point-of-view on how it should be!).
Last edited by CaptKev on Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Download Fighter HUD, Stingray and System Redux from the EliteWiki
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
now to learn yet another code-language. :sighs:
AH, compared to the weird syntax of plist's it should be a doddle! :)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

@ Dajt:

I am following this thread loosely (myself being a Mac-user), and thinking of it I have a general question (or worry). If it is stupid, just tell me so.

You are--as far as I understand--overhauling the Oolite.exe here, and Ahruman is doing the same, but differently, for the Oolite.app in this thread.

Now does that mean that eventually Oolite for Mac and Oolite for Windows will drift apart, or will there be a re-integration of the developments later? I mean, we don't have a Master and Commander again.

Again sorry if that sounds like a stupid question. But I feel compelled to ask anyway.
Captain Hesperus
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah
Grand High Clock-Tower Poobah

Post by Captain Hesperus »

Commander McLane wrote:
I mean, we don't have a Master and Commander again.
:o :o :o DON'T SAY THAT!!!! He's just awaiting the second coming!!

Now go and say 20 'Hail Giles' and I'll forgive you..... :wink:

Captain Hesperus
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

Well, I brought the JS branch up to date a couple of months ago to try and avoid too much divergence, but I didn't expect Ahruman to get all fired up and start making Big Changes to the trunk...

So yes, this is an issue because I found out that Big Changes in the trunk don't port easily to a branch. I lost a lot of work when I renamed some things in the trunk updated the JS branch, so I'm not keen to be doing it very often.

I don't have time to work on it right now anyway so I'll probably wait for the next release to do a big update on the JS branch to bring it back in line.

But trunk will always be the release, and will always work on Win32/Linux. JS is an experiment (that I hope will get included in the trunk in future), but hardly anyone is using it right now.
Regards,
David Taylor.
CaptKev
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CaptKev »

I've found the javascript inclusion a big improvement; you did a great job dajt. 8)

I have a few ideas for missions which I hope to code shortly (one involving the Battlestar Type 70 :) ), but I just wouldn't bother if I had to code in plist (I've written applications in quite a number of languages, but plist's just aren't for me!)

I do hope the javascript does become part of the trunk in all versions of Oolite, I'm sure more newcomers will be much more likely to have a bash at contributing some code.
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

I’m planning to take a look at the JS branch quite soon, probably this weekend, and evaluate the amount of effort involved in merging it into the trunk.
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

The JS integration is pretty simple and doesn't require too many changes to the code - it is mostly an "add-on" rather than a "replacement".

It mostly consists of a couple of new files, plus some minor changes where OXPs are loaded and scripts are called. And a JavaScript interpreter of course. I see no reason SpiderMonkey won't "just work" on OS-X.

But you'll need to be careful to avoid any of the equipment refactoring code which is (stalled) work in progress and not working yet.
Regards,
David Taylor.