Renegade Pirates OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

davcefai
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by davcefai »

You need to rename the file to whatever the game is looking for. Linux is case sensitive and Little Bear's system isn't.

If you do not rename the consequences can vary from trivial, as in this case, to serious, as in, say, a planet not appearing.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

My system is not case sensitive (PC). The whole name of the png is wrong. I have to rename it from guntext to guntex.
Thanks anyway !!!!!!!!!!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Yeah. Sorry about that. I play with Murgh's Wolf Mk II OXP installed, which does have a file called guntext, so I didn't notice the typo before I released it. The bug is harmless and doesn't effect how the OXP plays, but I really should get round to updating it. The texture is just goes on a tiny little bump where the laser beam for each gun is emitted, so with the texture not being there hardly effects the appearance of the ship - It just makes the three bumps grey rather than black. (You'd have to be about a meter away from the Ships Tri-Laser Mounting to see it, which might be a terminally unhealthy place to be!):wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Hi little bear

I have renamed the guntext.png into guntex.png but I had an unpleasant surprise in the demo screen.

First of all the bumps are not as tiny as I thought (actually they are huge). Moreover in some ships this bump is far away from the ship (not attached to the hull).
Also in 1.65 the ships had a very nice black color (how you did that at the first place??) but now in 1.70 that black color is gone.

I think i need you help (since i am lost)
Cmdr. Maegil
Sword-toting nut-job
Sword-toting nut-job

Re: Short Renegade Story

Post by Cmdr. Maegil »

***Derailing the topic***

drumz wrote:
Boy am I good.

Or so I thought.

I had only one last resort - eject.

You've earned my fear.

I'm coming back.

I want a rematch.
Now, THIS is a Commander of ELITE mettle!
You know those who, having been mugged and stabbed, fired, dog run over, house burned down, wife eloped with best friend, daughters becoming prostitutes and their countries invaded - still say that "all is well"?
I'm obviously not one of them.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

You'd also have to search and replace the model file (gun.dat) to give it the new texture (guntext.png) so that it also points to the renamed texture. However, I don't think it is a problem with 1.70, as I have it running without this error on 1.70. I suspect the problem is that another OXP also uses the name "gun.dat" for guns, so the guns for another ship are being stuck on the renegades. This is my own fault for using a name like "gun" rather than somthing unique like "renagade_gun.dat"!. I only have a few OXPs installed on 1.70 ATM witch would explain why I'm not hitting the bug. To fix it:-

rename the model "gun.dat" "renegade_gun.dat".

Now open shipdata and do a search and replace "gun.dat" with "renegade_gun.dat".

I wrote this OXP quite a while ago and meant to update it (the AIs could be a lot better, and as they never flee they never use pods!), but got side-tracked with other projects. Maybe in the new year!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

LittleBear wrote:
I suspect the problem is that another OXP also uses the name "gun.dat" for guns, so the guns for another ship are being stuck on the renegades.
Thanks LB :)
By the way the only other gun.dat that i can find is in the Black Monks OXP :twisted:
LittleBear wrote:
I wrote this OXP quite a while ago and meant to update it (the AIs could be a lot better, and as they never flee they never use pods!), but got side-tracked with other projects. Maybe in the new year!
:D :D
saint
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by saint »

One beginner question about laser colors. May I use some custom hue somehow ?

I have to find something that matches nicely my psychedelic tie fighter...
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

saint wrote:

I am not sure, but I think you can use an array of four numbers instead of a colour name. Look here for the colour definitions.
saint
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by saint »

Eric Walch wrote:
saint wrote:

I am not sure, but I think you can use an array of four numbers instead of a colour name. Look here for the colour definitions.
The same documet I tried to follow... No help.

I tried to add double gun in front of the ship borrowing some renegade code and model (guns), but did not work. Is there a primer for tinkering beginners that explains the objects ?

A couple of guns could be handy with those renegades... too bad that the program lost its window while dogfighting, so i removed the renegades :( (the program was there running -i heard them chopping my TIE- but there was no window - very Steppish, but requires a visit to the Linux chapter)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

saint wrote:
The same documet I tried to follow... No help.
:?: I tried:

Code: Select all

<key>laser_color</key>
		<array>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<real>0.5</real>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>1</integer>
		</array>
Definition of orange colour. It worked in a second try. In my first tries I used a ship with shaders and there the colour stayed red. No idea if this is a shader bug or that I should do it different than? However, with the old regenerades it should work.
saint
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by saint »

Eric Walch wrote:
:?: I tried:

Code: Select all

<key>laser_color</key>
		<array>
			<integer>1</integer>
			<real>0.5</real>
			<integer>0</integer>
			<integer>1</integer>
		</array>
Definition of orange colour. It worked in a second try. In my first tries I used a ship with shaders and there the colour stayed red.
I will try again. Maybe the TIE uses shaders... I like the tincan look of the TIE while it is a nice ship to fly... for a compulsive killer :)
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

saint wrote:
I will try again. Maybe the TIE uses shaders... I like the tincan look of the TIE while it is a nice ship to fly... for a compulsive killer :)
I just looked better. With a shaderified ship, only the front laser stays red, the back laser does use the defined colour so this must be a bug with shaders here.
saint
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by saint »

Eric Walch wrote:
saint wrote:
I just looked better. With a shaderified ship, only the front laser stays red, the back laser does use the defined colour so this must be a bug with shaders here.
Yeah, that could be an alternative way of fighting :)...

"DOods, take a look at my psychedelic TIE"
"Wow, cosmic!"
"It fires backward with this peculiar shade"
"Wow, cosmic! Wanna some more peyotl ?"

Seriously, I have to wait for the bugfix...
Cmdr. Saint, Golden Gladstone with 4 leaves Clovers of the Most Noble Order or The B.D.c.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

saint wrote:
Seriously, I have to wait for the bugfix...
There is no bug it was just that neolite stuff that makes other stuff not working. My testships are all like_ships from the originals. I tested with a boa, but the neolite boa has no front laser, so colouring didn't work. The neolite boa uses a boa-skiff as subentity and that one has the laser. So basically it should work.

Could be the case with you also, as a ship can only have one front laser. When there are more, there are subentities where you must define the colour.