Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Lovecats - stuck!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Unir lbh obhtug nyernql shry-vawrpgbef?

http://www.rot13.com
pepak
Competent
Competent

Post by pepak »

Fher. V unir n shyyl rdhvccrq Fhcrepboen naq V fgnegrq sbe gur flfgrz evtug nsgre gur zvffvba jnf naabhaprq. V purpxrq ynarf orgjrra jvgpucbvag ohbl naq fha naq orgjrra cynarg naq fha, gjvpr va n ebj, jvgubhg zrrgvat gur ahgpnfr (n.x.n. Ebzrb).
dave
Average
Average

Post by dave »

Hi everyone,

I've got stuck on this mission too.

Unfortuntely before I read this thread, I'd flown around to numerous other planets trying to find Romeo (and saved my game a few times). Have I messed up the mission or will I still be able to find him?
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

If there is no deadline, as far as time is concerned, there is no way you could have messed up anything. The OXP-script just won't do anything until you land on the right station.

So, if you now know the place, just go there.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

I just uploaded a improved version of lovecats to the wiki. This one is mission clash proof. Nothing is changed to the story it just works better with other scripts.

Download: Lovecats 1.1

Code: Select all

By johnsmith
A tale of love and betrayal amongst the vicious furry feline races of galaxy four. Can you pilot your way through the intrigue of the ancient mating rituals of the Teance system, and save star-crossed lovers from a fate worse than death?
Starts in galaxy four. A fast ship, fuel scoops, and a hard heart are recommended.
Minimum requirements: Oolite 1.65
To install:
Move the Lovecats.oxp file into the AddOns folder in your Oolite folder. The Oolite folder is where the Oolite program resides. The Lovecats.oxp file is in the Lovecats folder along with this README.txt file. DO NOT move the entire Lovecats folder into the AddOns folder - you only need the Lovecats.oxp file.

Version 1.1 Code change by Eric Walch.
- Added MOP code to prevent clashing mission offers.
- Restructured the code for faster code evaluation.
- Removed the necessity to do this mission after the native nova mission. Added code that made them both more compatible and it now gives a clue when there is no solution because of a (rare) nova mission conflict. Doing this mission first will even prevent this rare conflict to happen at all.

Version 1.0 Original version Written by johnsmith.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

I just download it and I want to say that the solution you gave to the script for the nova – lovecats conflict is perfect (well almost perfect – since there can be no perfect solution for that clash)

Please do the same on deposed :D
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Please do the same on deposed
It's already done. McLaine has the code now for a new bug fix. In the old code there was a build in delay on several places that never could have worked. I overlooked it but McLane spotted it. Will be fixed now.

It was rather a stupid bug and it annoys me I just did not see it. As a delay for mission offering Wombat was doing:

When witchspace jumping do
{ 
when mission = 1 than mission = 2
when mission = 2 than mission = 3
when mission = 3 than mission = 4
when mission = 4 than mission = 5
}
At the start of the jump mission = 1 and at the end of the jump mission = 5. His intention was of cause to let the counter just raise by one on each jump.

Ok, it was a little more hidden in the code with other code in between than I now write, but is was the thing he was actually doing. And this on several places.

Changing code into:

When witchspace jumping do
{ 
when mission = 4 than mission = 5
when mission = 3 than mission = 4
when mission = 2 than mission = 3
when mission = 1 than mission = 2
}
will solve the problem and the counter will raise as intended by Wombat.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

In an other topic there was a question:
Lestradea wrote:
On a second mission, I am supposed to find a "Romano Valrisian" in a "funny Asp". I have found a system where he according to the F7 screen "has come through hours ago". I found spoilers in the forum saying that he was on his way to sun and/or witchpoint - have been travelling back and forth three times those lanes, but no funny Asp
I think the answers are somewhere in this topic.

Naq V xabj sebz rkcrevrapr lbh arrq vawrpgbef ng n pregnva cbvag gb abg zvff Ebzreb orsber ur yrnirf gur fcnprynarf.

http://www.rot13.com
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Well, I found the Valrisian Asp, followed it toward the sun for a while and could only think of one way to - uhhhh - "encourage" the pilot to get into his escape capsule. So I fired at him. He fired back. I fired some more.

The last thing he said before he died was "Miew miew", which I think is cat-language for "You've just screwed this mission".

I quit the game and reverted to the last save, but since then I've yet to see him. When I do, I'll just follow him and see what he does.... :roll:
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Slow cooking is required here! Reduce him to Energy Low (plasma starts venting from his ship), then give him the odd touch of laser to encouage him to eject. Don't blow him up!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

Thanks LittleBear. I shall take more care next time.... :oops:
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

I got bored with looking for the feline dude, so I pulled the OXP and replaced it with 'Deposed'. Much more straightforward, and plenty of fighting too... :twisted:
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

From memory - even if you pull an OXP the data remains saved in your save file, so when you re-install "Lovecats" the mission will continue from where you left off/
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Your memory is right, DH. :wink:
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

LittleBear wrote:
Slow cooking is required here! Reduce him to Energy Low (plasma starts venting from his ship), then give him the odd touch of laser to encouage him to eject. Don't blow him up!
Just a technical addition to this "pilot extracting". Generally pilots only abandon ship when the ships energy drops below a certain level. I think it is 10% of maximum. But he not just always jumps. The pilot just checks his energy once in a while and when below 10% he randomly decides to abandon ship. I practice this means you have to keep the others energy below 10% for some time before the pilots jumps out. This means when sparks come you have to proceed very carefully. A military laser shot is almost to powerful for this job. Give the ship time to regenerate a bit after each shot.