Lovecats - stuck!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
From memory - even if you pull an OXP the data remains saved in your save file, so when you re-install "Lovecats" the mission will continue from where you left off/
I'll be in Galaxy 5 by then, looking for my cloaking device... :D
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
DaddyHoggy
Intergalactic Spam Assassin
Intergalactic Spam Assassin

Post by DaddyHoggy »

@JB - it'll still be there lurking, waiting for you to come full circle... :)
Selezen wrote:
Apparently I was having a DaddyHoggy moment.
Oolite Life is now revealed here
JohnnyBoy
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JohnnyBoy »

DaddyHoggy wrote:
@JB - it'll still be there lurking, waiting for you to come full circle... :)
:lol: Very good, DH.....
"That's no vicious Treeoid. That's my wife."
Erai
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Erai »

Uv! V frrz gb or fghpx va gur ybirpngf zvffvba nf jryy. Ernq guebhtu guvf guernq, juvpu ybbxrq urycshy, ohg fgvyy unir abg orra noyr gb svaq Ebzrb.
Naljnl, V unir Ybirpngf 1.1.bkc vafgnyyrq, syl n Sre-qr-Ynapr jvgu rirelguvat ba vg vapyhqvat shry vawrpgbef, naq guvf vf ubj V jrag nobhg vg:

Svefg, V jrag gb Nvatrba. Ernq gung gur "fbhcrq hc Nfc" ybbxrq yvxr vg jnf urnqrq bire gb Rfnedher.
Va Rfnedher V qbpxrq, ernq gung gur Nfc "pnzr guebhtu n srj ubhef ntb". Fb V frnepurq gur ybpny fcnprynarf. Svefg V jrag gb gur jvgpucbvag nf snfg nf V pbhyq, sebz gurer fgenvtug gb gur fgne hfvat gur whzcqevir, ohg ab Nfc- V qvq rapbhagre n unpxre ivcre ba rirel bppnfvba V gevrq gubhtu (V erfgnegrq gur zvffvba n pbhcyr bs gvzrf). Abg fher vs gur ivcre unf nalguvat gb qb jvgu gur zvffvba be bs vg vf whfg fbzrguvat sebz gur Nanepuvrf1.0 bkc . Sbe nyy pregnvagl V yrsg vg nybar n pbhcyr bs gvzrf naq nggnpxrq vg n pbhcyr bs gvzrf. Qvq abg znxr nal qvssrerapr.

Sebz gur fgne V jrag gura onpx gb gur fgngvba. Va guvf pnfr, gur cynarg jnf fbeg bs orgjrra gur fgne naq gur ornpba, fb vg jnf vzcbffvoyr gb tb va n fgenvtug yvar.
Gura V jrag onpx gb gur jvgpucbvag, ntnva gb gur fgne, ntnva gb gur fgngvba. Nyy gb ab ninvy.
Sbe nyy pregnvagl, V nyfb frnepurq Zniryrtr, Irgrremn naq Yndhfbrq ohg ab pyhrf gurer.

http://www.rot13.com

So... well, couple of questions for those who have done this mission before (and maybe johnsmith ;) )
1: Did I miss any obvious clues? (am I even searching at the correct planet?)
2: Is it possible that Romeo simply crashed on the planet before I was able to get to him?
3: Is there any other way to locate him?

Or could my installation of Oolite be messing with this scenario? (it's been displaying some funky behaviour lately: in the UPS-missions, no "pick up" screen appears on the destination and the mission does not end; the advanced space compass only displays N,W,C and F, but no hacker outposts, rock hermits, etc; also, "Save Commander" results in the game resetting to "Strict Gameplay" instead of saving)
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Erai, which version of the game are you using? The reset to strict mode when saving bug was resolved long ago.
Erai
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Erai »

another_commander wrote:
Erai, which version of the game are you using? The reset to strict mode when saving bug was resolved long ago.
Not sure, but I think it was 1.65
So I'd better start by looking for a newer version then :)
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Yep. I've hit that bug on 1.65. Somtimes when a mision variable is changed it causes the save file to always reset to strict gameplay. I don't think there is a work around on 1.65 and the save file always does this making the commander unplayable on 1.65. Think you'd have to update! Its worth doing anyway as there's a lot of fun new stuff in the test releases.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Erai wrote:
So... well, couple of questions for those who have done this mission before (and maybe johnsmith ;) )
1: Did I miss any obvious clues? (am I even searching at the correct planet?)
2: Is it possible that Romeo simply crashed on the planet before I was able to get to him?
3: Is there any other way to locate him?
Read here:

Ol urnq V qba'g xabj va juvpu flfgrz lbh zhfg or, ohg V xabj sbe fher lbh pna bayl trg uvz jura ulcreevat va. Vg vf nqqrq bhgfvqr fpnaare enatr naq urnqvat fgenvtug gb gur fha. Va guvf npgvba vg yrnirf gur fcnpr ynar naq lbh jba'g or noyr gb svaq uvz va gur infg fcnpr.
Jura vzzrqvngryl hfvat vawrpgbef lbh pna whfg frr uvz yrnivat gur ynar. Ng gung cbvag lbh cebonoyl unir gb svtug fbzr cvengrf svefg, ohg guna lbh fubhyq or noyr gb trg lbhe gnetrg ntnva jura sebz gung cbfvgvba tbvat fgenvtug gb gur fha.

Guna vg orpbzrf gur gevpx gb bayl xvyy gur fuvc naq abg gur cvybg. Vg jvyy cebonoyl arrqf gb snyy onpx frireny gvzrf ba lbhe fnirq tnzr orsber lbh svanyyl trg Ebzreb.
Erai
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Erai »

And that was indeed the trick, thanks :D . Got him in one go, fortunately.
Erai
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Erai »

One last thing- this may be not be specifically for lovecats, but:

Part 2 of the storyline did not initialize correctly. The mission text did appear, along with the accept/decline buttons. Straight after accepting, however, the "Red Alert" screen from the thargoid wars oxp popped up. I accepted that one as well and had my little tussle with the thargoids.

After docking again I noticed that the lovecats mission did not appear in the mission list. For all certainty I went to the destination anyway, but nothing happened there. So possibly one oxp can cause another oxp to "trip"?
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

The launch action is bad for a lot of code. Many oxp's are not anticipating this exception. Both oxp's still have a bug because both could have additional code to prevent this. Thargoid wars should not offer a screen when there is still a pending choice to be read in and lovecats should write its offering in a way that it can recover from such occasions. Now you probably have somewhere in your save file the words: mission_wedding STAGE98. If yes, changing it to mission_wedding STAGE4 will set it back one level so you will get the offer again.

In both oxp's I put already code to make them more compatible. But I think I should add more code so every exception is handled. Specially the thargoid screen where the station attack is announced should only be offered when there is no active choice to be read out. In UPS I have used all these checks together but almost no other oxp's do all these checks. I have no intention to make lovecats more secure as this would require rewriting part of it, but adding the check missionChoice_string undefined at the right places in thargoid wars would be no great effort.

Problem is just that there are also oxp's that don't clear their choice after having it read out. This bad code than blocks the offers from other oxp's that wait indefinitely until the choice was cleared.
biffa
Above Average
Above Average

PICTURE SPOILER

Post by biffa »

Hi everyone

for those who need any help with finding the asp heres a snap shot of it!

SPOILER IF U CLICK LINK

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/8820/asplovecats.png

I have allready done this mission on the older type of oolite but have started all over again with the 1.73 game installer.2 times i have found the asp and 2 times i have lost or killed the dude,after this post it will be 3rd time lucky.
JQW
Average
Average

Post by JQW »

I tried the OXP with the current version a few days ago. Although I was able to shoot down the ship, something went wrong in the transition to an escape capsule. It registered on the scanner as a white dot, but was still shown on the main display as an Asp, albeit one moving like an escape capsule. Consequentially I wasn't able to scoop the thing up.

I presume it was an incompatibility with another OXP, but as I've got many installed I'm not sure which one it was.

In the end I just removed the Love Cats OXP and edited all references to it out of the save file.
JazHaz
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by JazHaz »

Eric Walch has today released a new version of Love Cats, to v.1.2.1. See the Love Cats OXP wiki page.

Don't know if it will fix your problem. Surprised he's not posted on here!
JazHaz

Gimi wrote:
drew wrote:
£4,500 though! :shock: <Faints>
Cheers,
Drew.
Maybe you could start a Kickstarter Campaign to found your £4500 pledge. 8)
Thanks to Gimi, I got an eBook in my inbox tonight (31st May 2014 - Release of Elite Reclamation)!
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

JazHaz wrote:
Don't know if it will fix your problem. Surprised he's not posted on here!
I have been posting here but deleted again. I was worried that mentioning the minor fixes would give spoilers.

I tripled the energy of the escape pod to lower the change it destroys when hitting the asp after killing it. In general when a pilot leaves a ship in a escape pod, it leaves the empty ship back as cargo, so it could be normal seeing the asp as cargo. The other fix is to make finding the asp more predictable. Due to randomness it could happen that is was placed at a position were the player could impossible find him. Only jumping in and out of the system helped here. However I don't think Johnsmith mend it to be this difficult. I think he was just less familiar with the newer code, that was added in oolite 1.47, to add ships more precisely.