The Oolite Saga

Writings and chronicles of the OOniverse.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Re: Oolite Novellas, 'Status Quo' and 'Mutabilis'...

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Re-read your Oolite saga stories.
Nice read, though the characters use pretty archaic speach, which would be more effective if only some characters were thus affected. A GalCop elitist villain is expected be overly elloquent, a poor (dangerous) tramptrader girl not so much.
After reading SQ I decided to keep track of typos etcetera found in the remaining three.
Limited myself mostly to typos and tried to refrine from commenting on content. (I ended up virtually rewriting a text once and that is just too much like hard work ;))

edit: followed McLane's suggestion of making a PM to Drew.
Last edited by Arexack_Heretic on Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Riding the Rocket!
Diziet Sma
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Diziet Sma »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
edit: hmm spoilertags don't seem to be working. made text tiny.
ROT13 works better.. :wink:
Most games have some sort of paddling-pool-and-water-wings beginning to ease you in: Oolite takes the rather more Darwinian approach of heaving you straight into the ocean, often with a brick or two in your pockets for luck. ~ Disembodied
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
edit: hmm spoilertags don't seem to be working. made text tiny.
Or send it as PM directly to Drew.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Huh, didnt think of a PM, couldnt find an e-mail adddres on his site. Could've searched longer probably. oh well. :roll:
Riding the Rocket!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: The Oolite Saga

Post by drew »

After 7 years it seemed about time to update the first post in this thread - so that's done!.

PM or email is good for contact. drew at wagar dot org dot uk

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Drew -

I'm finally getting to reading the Oolite saga after two years of having it downloaded.

I must say they are a thoroughly enjoyable read so far!!! Excellent work - really like the style, character development, and conversations. A great read! Thank you!

- Robert
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
---------------------------
At the helm of the Caduceus Omega, 'Murderous Morrígan'
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

Drew -

I finished Finis last week. I really thoroughly enjoyed reading the story - as I said before excellent writing and character development.

I'm glad it turned out the way it did, although my guess is that the story must take place in the "future", save the Q-Mine, which we have "in the present" (i.e., in the game). Anyway, I really like how you portrayed not only the thargoids, but the members of the board here. One of my favourite characters in the saga is DaddyHoggy, the wise avian librarian from Ordima.

Thanks for sharing that!

- Robert
"I'll laser the mark all while munching a fistful of popcorn." - Markgräf von Ededleen, Marquess, Brutal Great One, Assassins' Guild Exterminator
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Glad you enjoyed, Robert! Always good to hear. Stay tuned on the next Elite work... it won't be long now!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

Drew,
I found your Oolite saga books on ios last week and must say i have thoroughly enjoyed them. I have not finished the third book yet but its on my phone and i cant put it down.
Love the subtle and not s subtle references to other scifi , makes me wonder how many i missed... will have to go back and re read the books slower ...lol
Arthur: OK. Leave this to me. I'm British. I know how to queue.
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

spud42 wrote:
Drew,
I found your Oolite saga books on ios last week and must say i have thoroughly enjoyed them. I have not finished the third book yet but its on my phone and i cant put it down.
Love the subtle and not s subtle references to other scifi , makes me wonder how many i missed... will have to go back and re read the books slower ...lol
I think I need to read them again more slowly too :). They are terribly difficult put down!
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

CommRLock78 wrote:
spud42 wrote:
Drew,
I think I need to read them again more slowly too :). They are terribly difficult put down!
they are.... i have actually paused Oolite to read the fight between Rebeca and Coyote in the asteroid belt on the way to get the bio weapon.....
OR i could go with
Arthur Dent: I always said there was something fundamentally wrong with the universe.
or simply
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Glad you're still enjoying these folks. Books three and four are by far the best of the Oolite Saga.

Elite Reclamation on the other hand, takes it to an entirely new level, to be released in the next few months.

www.drewwagar.com

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
CommRLock78
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CommRLock78 »

drew wrote:
Glad you're still enjoying these folks. Books three and four are by far the best of the Oolite Saga.

Elite Reclamation on the other hand, takes it to an entirely new level, to be released in the next few months.

http://www.drewwagar.com

Cheers,

Drew.
I'll be keeping an eye out for the next tour-de-force :D.

(I agree, books 3 and 4 are the best ;)).
spud42
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spud42 »

drew wrote:

http://www.drewwagar.com

Cheers,

Drew.

literally couldnt put it down. was reading on the iphone as i walked between jobs... lol even kept reading while waiting for machines to boot or do updates...

looking forward to the new book.
OR i could go with
or simply
milinks
Deadly
Deadly

Post by milinks »

Having read and re-read the Dark wheel novella, over the years, I really wanted to find something that was similar, but obviously not as good, as the original story. What I came upon in the status Quo, was a full novel, full of depth, suspense, relationship issues, and the setting for, not just a story but more a quest of the truth, involving Galcorp and the hidden and murky issues of the Dark Wheel. Having been an avid reader for many years, from Dick Francis easy reading crime stories, to Robert Ludlum gritty Novels, on to terry Brooks and The shannara legacy? I've never stereotyped a given novel or author.

As I was nearing the end of the Status Quo, I had a mind to write and say how fantastic the novel was, that in my opinion, given the history of oolite as background, it surpassed Robert Holdstocks novel, who, admittedly had to make up his history, and crammed so much into a short story. I wished to tell Drew that I thought Status Quo was a fantastic piece of literature, not something that was cobbled together, that through the depth and quality of what is oolite and the many contributors, he brought a new dimension to the history of this seminal game. Unfortunately I didn't write to Drew about this, as I HAD to read Mutabilis, I had to know what happened to Rebecca and Jim, and the Dark Wheel. So, now half way through Finis, I thought I would write and say... Well done Drew! I would never have thought that from the small beginnings of oolite that it would produce a write of such quality, that is now writing the Novella for Elite: Dangerous. I could think of no-one better placed, and I commend you on your writings thus far, and hope to continue to read you works. Thankyou for giving me such entertainment!