Commies.oxp (v2.07)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Re: Commies.oxp (v2.07)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Thanks phkb. It would be nice not even to see the message, though. Failing that, perhaps the message could tag itself 'Notice' or somesuch - so that one does not think it is the report of an error.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Version 2.17 of Commies has just been released. Apart from suppressing those debug messages, a couple of spawning issues have been addressed for Commisar Limousines and Giant Ray's. As a bonus, you can now save your game at Astro Factories and Collective SLAPU stations.
UK_Eliter
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: Essex (mainly industrial and occasionally anarchic)

Post by UK_Eliter »

Good stuff, phkb!
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

phkb wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:37 pm
Version 2.17 of Commies has just been released. Apart from suppressing those debug messages, a couple of spawning issues have been addressed for Commisar Limousines and Giant Ray's. As a bonus, you can now save your game at Astro Factories and Collective SLAPU stations.
I was always wondering if its intentional that the "Sun Ray" due to the role (roles = "sunskim-trader";) is not showing up.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Hmm. Yes, that is a problem. It should definitely have more roles than that.

Perhaps something like this, do you think?:

Code: Select all

roles = "trader(0.15) trader-courier(0.05) trader-smuggler(0.01) hunter-medium(0.25)";
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

I am not sure for what this ship was originally intended for, since it got an pirate AI maybe as enemy of the government. Perhaps Rustem could translate us whats written on the hulk (my Russian is close to not existent) ? However, for my personal opinion any new roles fitting to the OXP idea would do.
phkb

Post by phkb »

montana05 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:40 am
since it got an pirate AI
Ah, yes, didn't see that! In that case a strictly pirate set then:

Code: Select all

roles = "pirate pirate-medium-fighter(0.2) pirate-heavy-fighter(0.1) pirate-light-freighter(0.05) pirate-medium-freighter(0.01)";
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

My best guess today would be that the ship was originally intended as a pirate close to the sun (role in combination with AI). The texture is a little sloppy but you will not see this in the game and if you need some variation I did a small modification for my own WIP's I will be happy to send you.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Please, PM me your example and I’ll see about using it. Thanks!
GearsNSuch
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GearsNSuch »

Hello!
I've started a graphics overhaul for this OXP, starting with the Astromine Convict Miner. It is finished and in the game.

Next up is the Worker's Commuter.

Feedback and advice are welcome.
Disembodied
Jedi Spam Assassin
Jedi Spam Assassin

Post by Disembodied »

Hi GearsNSuch, welcome to the boards! Your Astromine Convict looks suitably grim and coffin-shaped … As a convict, though, maybe it could have something to make it visible (even if it's faded/degraded over time) - the hull equivalent of an orange jumpsuit maybe? Even a couple of orange flashers?
GearsNSuch
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GearsNSuch »

Disembodied wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:56 am
Hi GearsNSuch, welcome to the boards! Your Astromine Convict looks suitably grim and coffin-shaped … As a convict, though, maybe it could have something to make it visible (even if it's faded/degraded over time) - the hull equivalent of an orange jumpsuit maybe? Even a couple of orange flashers?
Thank you!
I think you're right about the orange stripes or flashers. The "d134" label might not be conspicuous enough. I'll play around with different methods.
GearsNSuch
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GearsNSuch »

(3 weeks later)

The Worker's Commuter is all done except for the engine section and underbelly.
I've also added shiplibrary.plist entries for all the ships and stations.
Next up, the Ray (and derivatives). After that's done, I think it'll be release time.

Also, I have a couple questions:
First, how would one invert the input of specular_map? Right now, I'm using low alpha to designate specular and high alpha to designate flat, but when I put it in the game it reads it low alpha as flat and vice versa. I should have thought of that before, but I'm wondering if there is an easy way to fix it.

Secondly, I'm really not sure how to get the flickering window effect when at low energy. I've looked at a couple of Griff's shaders, and, well... I don't understand that magic. I would really appreciate a shader-wizard's advice.

Thank you!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

GearsNSuch wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:52 am
First, how would one invert the input of specular_map? Right now, I'm using low alpha to designate specular and high alpha to designate flat, but when I put it in the game it reads it low alpha as flat and vice versa. I should have thought of that before, but I'm wondering if there is an easy way to fix it.
If you are implementing specular lighting by means of a specular map and are relying on the default game shader, be aware that the alpha channel is the gloss value, which is a reference of how "concentrated" the specular reflection will be Actual specularity is achieved via the RGB channels of the map and that represents the intensity and color of the specular light.

You cannot invert the input of the gloss map, but you can easily invert the map itself. Just invert the cheannel (newValue = 1.0 - originalValue) and you can use it without any problem.

You may want to have a look at this series of posts describing the lighting model in version 1.88 for some more detailed information on how all this works. Obviously, if you are using a shader other than the default one, then none of the above applies.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Those are nice commies ships ! :)