Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Assassins Guild OXP - Beta

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

LittleBear wrote:
The OXP seems to running fine on 4 PCs. Is this a Mac thing? Anybody else running on a Mac? I fine it hard to see why the Mac should object to displaying a complex image but the PC is doing it no problem. :shock:
You take your life in your hands on this BBS, anyway I thought MACs were to keep the rain off you!

/me hits ESC button
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

:lol: Problem seems sorted. The Mac doesn't like the scary avanta of the Assassins Guild and crashes at the mere sight of it, whereas the PC bravley displays it.

I'll include Judberts condensed images in a new upload, which should fix the problem. If not Mac users will just have to delete the two blood-soaked images that cause their machine such a fright!
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Ah yes, you see we Mac users are gentle creative, artistic people, not butchers of myriads of aliens, or management lackeys... :wink:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

I've uploaded a Beta (v2) - new link on my posts.

This fixes the line problems on two of the moons (cheers Griff), and incorporates the new reduced images (cheers Judebert) so hopfuly it won't crash on the Mac when the Assassins Guild Logo comes up!

I've included a save file in the right place to trigger the first mission (load wait 30 secs and the first mission should appear). This commander is in Seleezens IC so you will need his OXP in to load it.

Stargazer (or any other Mac user) would you mind firing up this commander, making the jump, killing the poor Rodent (despite his pleas for mercy) and dock. If you don't get a crash then the fix has worked!

The Guild is an equal opportinities employer. All races are accepted as members and a member of any race will be murdered to order, for the right price. Rodent, Bird, Lizard, Feline or Human, it's nothing personal, just a matter of buisness! :wink:
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

Nope, sorry, killed rat, docked at dodecahedron station OK, but no success report, then went to main station, docked... and crashed...
Host Name: G5-PowerHouse
Date/Time: 2006-10-19 00:11:24.453 +0100
OS Version: 10.4.7 (Build 8J135)
Report Version: 4

Command: Oolite
Path: /Games Galore/Oolite_v1.65/Oolite.app/Contents/MacOS/Oolite
Parent: WindowServer [62]

Version: Oolite version 1.65 (1.65)

PID: 265
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x1fda5000

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 <<00000000>> 0xffff9364 __bigcopy + 548 (cpu_capabilities.h:194)
1 com.apple.Foundation 0x92928a68 -[NSConcreteData initWithBytes:length:copy:freeWhenDone:bytesAreVM:] + 404
2 com.apple.Foundation 0x9294ee70 +[NSData dataWithBytes:length:] + 64
3 org.aegidian.oolite 0x000362d8 -[OpenGLSprite makeTextureFromImage:cropRectangle:size:] + 660 (OpenGLSprite.m:224)
4 org.aegidian.oolite 0x00035304 -[OpenGLSprite initWithImage:cropRectangle:size:] + 120 (OpenGLSprite.m:59)
5 org.aegidian.oolite 0x00056750 -[GuiDisplayGen setBackgroundImage:] + 312 (GuiDisplayGen.m:606)
6 org.aegidian.oolite 0x0002dbcc -[PlayerEntity(Scripting) setGuiToMissionScreen] + 244 (PlayerEntity Additions.m:1911)
7 org.aegidian.oolite 0x000284dc -[PlayerEntity(Scripting) checkCouplet:onEntity:] + 656 (PlayerEntity Additions.m:121)
8 org.aegidian.oolite 0x00028470 -[PlayerEntity(Scripting) checkCouplet:onEntity:] + 548 (PlayerEntity Additions.m:125)
9 org.aegidian.oolite 0x00028470 -[PlayerEntity(Scripting) checkCouplet:onEntity:] + 548 (PlayerEntity Additions.m:125)
10 org.aegidian.oolite 0x000281e4 -[PlayerEntity(Scripting) scriptActions:forTarget:] + 192 (PlayerEntity Additions.m:86)
11 org.aegidian.oolite 0x000280f4 -[PlayerEntity(Scripting) checkScript] + 196 (PlayerEntity Additions.m:68)
12 org.aegidian.oolite 0x00019858 -[PlayerEntity docked] + 780 (PlayerEntity.m:3874)
13 org.aegidian.oolite 0x00014be8 -[PlayerEntity update:] + 2920 (PlayerEntity.m:1847)
14 org.aegidian.oolite 0x000a2f18 -[Universe update:] + 1340 (Universe.m:5499)
15 org.aegidian.oolite 0x000420e0 -[GameController doStuff:] + 140 (GameController.m:522)
16 org.aegidian.oolite 0x00042840 -[GameController goFullscreen:] + 1476 (GameController.m:760)
17 com.apple.AppKit 0x937b5c4c -[NSApplication sendAction:to:from:] + 108
18 com.apple.AppKit 0x938104b8 -[NSMenu performActionForItemAtIndex:] + 392
19 com.apple.AppKit 0x9381023c -[NSCarbonMenuImpl performActionWithHighlightingForItemAtIndex:] + 104
20 com.apple.AppKit 0x9380fce4 -[NSMenu performKeyEquivalent:] + 272
21 com.apple.AppKit 0x9380f930 -[NSApplication _handleKeyEquivalent:] + 328
22 com.apple.AppKit 0x93719408 -[NSApplication sendEvent:] + 2944
23 org.aegidian.oolite 0x000abecc -[OoliteApp sendEvent:] + 156 (OoliteApp.m:70)
24 com.apple.AppKit 0x93710d10 -[NSApplication run] + 508
25 com.apple.AppKit 0x9380187c NSApplicationMain + 452
26 org.aegidian.oolite 0x00008324 _start + 340 (crt.c:272)
27 org.aegidian.oolite 0x000081cc start + 60
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Star Gazer wrote:
Ah yes, you see we Mac users are gentle creative, artistic people, not butchers of myriads of aliens, or management lackeys... :wink:

Yeah Right! :wink:
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

OK so far so good, still no real problems, the only thing I noticed is that there were no ships available for sale on Arberi which was tech level 11 - surprising!
Killed off the MFDL MkV, (several times before I found out a way of surviving!)

Have only finished 3 of the missions, but will have more time at the weekend, and all next week ('er indoors is off to France for a week - so no "interuptions").
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

I found the accompanying planet's texture quite pretty, but it seemed a bit 'jaggy' - when I have a bit more time, I'll have a play with the settings for my graphics card and seem what gives the best rendering.

It would be nice to have these nicely textured planets throughout the 8 galaxies. The newer ships looked good, too; but I did like the adder painted to look like it is a wireframe model!!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Cheers for the feedback guys!

Shame about the image problem on the Mac, but its not the end of the world. Mac users will just need to delete the image Assassins.png from the OXPs Image files, as this fixed the problem on JohnSmith's Mac. This hasn't been tested yet, but I think the Mac will also dislike the Redhand Image (this is shown when the player first docks at the Headquarters of the Guild - Mission 2), so for saftey, Mac users might want to delete that one as well. Mac users still get all the mission briefings, missions, planets and ships, they'll just miss a couple of background pics.

When it finally goes up on Oosat, I'll just put up two versions with the Mac version missing these images (perhaps use the Mafia's calling card instead). In the mean time, could Mac users just take these out themselves to playtest.

PS : Should have mentioned Assassins Briefings are only displayed when you dock at the Main Station (the one by the planet), not at Rock Hermits, Carriers, OXP stations etc.

PPS : The planet in the bottom right hand corner of my Avanta is the OXP planet at Orramaor. Thats how its meant to look anyway!
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Star Gazer »

What's the real problem with these two images? Neither give any problem with being displayed of their own on the Mac, so what is going wrong in-game?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Dunno. I really can't figure out why the Mac objects to it (but the PC doesn't). It is in the normal .png format and it is the standard 512 x 512 size. The Mac is obviously OK displaying the "snap-shots" of the Marks that comes up (as it didn't crash when the picture of Be Soin's retro-adder came up) when you were offered the hit on the feeble Rodent. I can only think it has somthing to do with the size or just somthing about the image itself.

Actually, a guess the New Broadcast image could cause a problem too as it is quite complex. :( Sorry Guys, can only suggest Mac users play it though and just delete problem images.
Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

We assume the problem is the image size. I cut them down to a little over 100K or so, but they still take approximately the same size in texture memory. I originally thought it might have something to do with the PNG compression (which is set to the highest level, 9), but if they display fine independently then it's more likely to be a GL lib problem than a libPNG problem.

The EXC_BAD_ACCESS means we tried to access a memory area we're not allowed to. And it happened during a _bigcopy, which makes me think it's having trouble with the image size. But I'm looking into other Mac PNG crashes.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Hmm. Had a look at Giles's Native PNGs. The solar image at 147k is bigger than the reduced Assassins.png, so mayby the other PNGs will be fine and the Mac just doesn't like this particular image.
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

LB, have you tried opening and resaving the assassins.png file? i tried it in Photoshop and it went from 345kb to about 170kb (i didn't see any compression settings options but it must have applied some behind the scenes) but i did notice that when i resaved it , Photoshop asked if i wanted the image 'interlaced' or 'non-interlaced' - prehaps the Mac needs the non-interlaced version to work?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

The new versions is only about 100K (but still a problem). I only have paint however! If you could e-mail me the non-interlaced version, I'll give that one a go.