Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

The Assassins Guild OXP - Beta

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Is the speach thing a Mac thing, as we don't get this on the PC!

Not sure why it should crash as it isn't with PC. I developed on the PC and TGHC is testing on the PC.

On the PC, when you ID a ship, it just comes up in the target box. Does Oolite speak the name on the Mac?

Will I need to do this for every new ship?
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

Yup, speech is a Mac thing. It speaks what the ship name is when you target it, for most words the defaults are fine, but doesn't get stuff like roman numerals or foreign pronunciation. I have a feeling that's what's crashing Oolite in my case. Will try with speech turned off for now.

http://developer.apple.com/documentatio ... ion_3.html
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Still no problems so far, I've a feeling that Hoopys hyperspacing has happened to me before, I seem to recall seeing one at a witchpoint after hyperspacing, well before Assassins Guild, perhaps other commanders may be able to confirm.

OK Now being seriously harrassed by the Soin Clan, they are mean SOB's, and like the Spy courier in spyhunter are almost indestructable very fast and manouverable and really pack a punch can even take out ECM hardened missiles with their ECM units sheesh!

No new mark as yet, I suspect I have to take out all the Soin Clan first. The difficulty is racking up. My aft is very sore!!

Interestingly the Soin Clan come up as offenders when targeted, but seem to totally ignored by Galcop Vipers, as a clean living commander I would have expected them to come to my aid but they didn't. I even parked very adjacent to a Coriolis and despite it being hit by the Soin lasers no Vipers launched. Perhaps it's all part of a cunning plan, but basically you are on your own to sort them out, when there is a bunch of them you have to cut and run, one on one is tricky enough.

Very enjoyable so far and no bugs as yet to report
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

LittleBear wrote:
Take it you mean a firewasp? You shouldn't be seeing a Wasp EX-01 (yet!)
Oops I meant mosquito, fine looking ships!

I also very much like the DWcobra, as well as looking superb, each time you hit it with a laser it gives off missile type explosions until the final big bang :twisted: which all adds to the visuals.
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

Still get a crash on docking! Happens just where the mission screen should come up. Turned off speech, unloaded other OXPs. And now I've seen that moon a few times, I can see the joins in the textures. Anyone else got this to work on a Mac?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

They start as clean, but will become offenders if they attack you insight of a police ship (and it notices). The police may help you a bit, but it is mainly down to you, to defend youself against the Litter! The AI Giles gave the police ships, causes them to weigh up the odds. The may decide that they are too scared to help and stay in the station eating donuts!

JS - Without a MAC, it is a bit difficult to duplicate the error! It could be somthing to do with the speach thing. All that happens when you dock is pretty standard Mission stuff:- Message with an image, credits awarded, mission description changed, stage advanced, planet marked on maps. Same sort as Code as Lovecats and other missions and the same code as gave you the first briefing. Bit stumped. :shock: Could you try it without the speach thing on?
Last edited by LittleBear on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Code: Select all

{ 
							conditions = ("mission_assassins equal assassins_STAGE1a", "galaxy_number equal 6"); 
							do = ( 
								"setMissionImage: assassins.png", 
								setGuiToMissionScreen, 
								"addMissionText: hitbrief_1a",  
								"set: mission_assassins assassins_STAGE1b",
								"removeMissionDestination: 73",
								"addMissionDestination: 107",
								"awardCredits: 180", 
								"setMissionDescription: assassins_header2" 
							); 

}, 
Grr. This is the code showing the second Mission Briefing. The docked at main station condition is included at the start of the segment that shows all the mission screens. (I cribbed this from Spyhunter). It works on the PC, but maybe the Mac doesn't like this. I can't think why though.

As an experiment JS could you try editing the script and segmenting this with a docked a main station boole = Yes. The only other thing that I can think of is that the Mac dosn't like the image that is comming up in the background. Could you also (perhaps do this first), remove the show image bit. The join on the Moon is unavoidable, most don't have a noticable line!
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Not much help, but i thought i'd post that I've been playing the first few levels of this on a windows XP pc and i haven't had a crash yet.

Littlebear, what's the name of the moon's texture '.png' file, if you want i'll have a go at tiling it so it wraps round without a seam.

also, the Soin clan were waiting for me outside a station and the police did join the dogfight as long as i let them (the soin ships) open fire on me first. Are we meant to fight or flee at this point as they are very hard to fight, by the time my military laser has cooled, their energy banks have recharged and i can't seem to get anywhere dogfighting them unless i cloak and then they just spin about in space as i limp off out of scanner range!
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

The planet is hitsplanet1.png, but I don't think fiddling with the texture will help much. The way Oolite textures a planet is different to the way it textures a ship, as planet textures are not 3D. Imagine taking a drawing on a flat piece of paper and wrapping it around a ball. You can get a line as the two halfs join up. Most of the textures do not have a noticeable line, but it there is a join on this planet and the Moon at Beatle.

With the sisters, you'll need to kill at least one sister and make a certain number of Hyperspace jumps before the next thing happens. They'll (just) survive an e-bomb, so you can e-bomb them, pick one off and then run away every time they appear! The sisters AI makes them pretty single minded about killing you, so if you cloak they wait where they are, knowing you'll run out of energy soon and have to re-appear!

I think the problem with JS crash, maybe due to the size of the image at 344k. The rest of the images are more like 34k. I'm not sure why this would only cause a problem on the Mac though. As a test, If you do a serach and replace "assassins.png" with "none" and "redhand.png" with "none" in the script, that will stop the OXP displaying the more complex images.
Last edited by LittleBear on Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Griff has improved the textures for the two moons with lines on them (I won't release another version though until the whole thing has been playtested).

I am seriously puzzelled by the crash on JohnSmiths machine. The OXP seems to running fine on 4 PCs. Is this a Mac thing? Anybody else running on a Mac? I fine it hard to see why the Mac should object to displaying a complex image but the PC is doing it no problem. :shock:
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

Well, I tried deleting the red hand image from the OXP, and it still crashed. I must have killed this Adder so many times now. I missiled him (like the plea for mercy), shot him, even tried ramming him. Any other mac people on here?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Its the Assassins image that is being shown at the briefing causing the problem, so you could try taking that out. Could you post the last few lines of the stderr file, as this may give a clue?

EDIT : Failing that Murgh develops on the Mac. Hope he has a look at this thread soon, as I'm really stuck as to why it should cause a problem on the Mac but not the PC. Oolite scripts are the same on all versions, so I don't think it can be a problem with the OXP script as such. The other much more complex things like the ships, planets and stations are working on the Mac, so it is really weird that a simple "well done commander" mission briefing would cause a problem (but only on a mac). Can only think it has somthing to do with the image. :?
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

Deleted the assasins image, and it worked fine. And I did enjoy ramming him to death. Won't have much time to look at it anymore, I have to go to New York next week, lots of preparation to do.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by LittleBear »

Have Jury trial tomorrow so better go to bed! (Enjoy New York!)

Nice to know it was an image problem though, rather than somthing horrably wrong in my script! (at 500+ commands re-doing it for the Mac would have been a major pain!)

I'll just put a warning, that if this happens then delete the Assassins.png and redhand.png from Images. Mac users might miss out on a couple of pretty pics as backgrounds to some of the briefings, but not the end of the world!
Judebert
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Judebert »

In the interests of cross-platform capabilities, I downloaded the OXP and converted those images from RGB to 256. It took assassins.PNG from 300MB to 100MB. If RGB is required, I can save it that way, with the reduced colors, and still get 200MB.

The reduced 256-color files are: http://judebert.com/wasted_youth/media/ ... ins256.PNG
http://judebert.com/wasted_youth/media/ ... and256.PNG

I know you're both busy, but they're available for your use when you're ready to test.