witch space transit times

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

cmdr drayton
Above Average
Above Average

Post by cmdr drayton »

Something else just occured to me, is your colour calibrated? It can make a big difference. And CRTs change their properties over time, so they do need to be recalibrated from tie to time. I'm not certain this will help, but it is possible. If you can't see those lines scooping cargo must be an absolute nightmare!!

I've brightened it up a bit more, and I've made the line dotted so the effect should be that it works better on your screen, without it actually looking much brighter to anyone else.

See what you think.

cmdr drayton
Above Average
Above Average

Post by cmdr drayton »

This is actually much easier than I expected. I've just managed to add a new piece of equipment to the game. I'm calling it an "Advanced Navigational Array" for now. If anyone has a better idea. I'm thinking tech level 10 and upwards, and about 2250Cr since it's a nice to have rather than an essential, but really comes into its own when you're planning multiple drop offs for passengers etc. It's pretty irrelevant early in the game when you're just bouncing between a few planets.

Got to see if Giles is up for adding this of course!! He might think it's all making it toooo easy ;-)
lolwhites
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lolwhites »

Going back to travel times, and distances...

I don't know how badly this would unbalance the game, but in the old Traveller RPG, from which much of the Elite game was derived, the Navy and Scout service had secret refuelling stations and a network of faster than normal ships.

Wouldn't the GalCop Navy want secret refuelling stations in deep space for rapid communication and response to attack (2 short jumps being quicker than 1 long one)? Wouldn't organisations like the Link be very interested in a secret refuelling station to allow then to have a clandestine base in an otherwise "unreachable" system?

This might have very interesting potential for missions...
johnsmith
Deadly
Deadly

Post by johnsmith »

Not sure about the dotted lines. The name and the price of the device sound good though. Cool!
themacman
Competent
Competent

Post by themacman »

Scooping is very easy, but I did reset the screen to factory defaults and it got a little brighter. However, it is still very difficult to see the old screen shots, so I think that the brightness of the latest screen shot is the best.

Good work, and I like the idea, price point and name.
B-räd

Mac OS X and Windows on the best machine, http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/

tokugawa
Average
Average

Post by tokugawa »

Neat, It shouldn't be to expensive (About 2k is fair for me). As I would bought a paper, a trace paper, a Circinus and a pen otherwise. :>

This resolves "toooo easy" argument too :P Well, you just provided a 'paper' (non-interactive) map.

:>:>
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Nice little gizmo!
When are you going to share it with the wOorld as an OXP?

I think you should call it "NAV_ARRAY_SOFTWARE_UPGRADE" or something, it's not that advanced to have a map inserted into your nav-com...

Also: it might be a fun idea to sell separate maps for small sections of the galaxies, or several incomplete maps.
available from hightech planets or even from oldtimer-spacers in spacestation dives....you could have them offered for sale like the trumble-offer.
Last edited by Arexack_Heretic on Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Riding the Rocket!
cmdr drayton
Above Average
Above Average

Post by cmdr drayton »

I've had to add to the actual code of oolite itself, so I don't think it's possible to distribute this as an OXP. I'm just going to drop Giles an email to see how I would go about getting this into the code base.
Godspeed gentlemen, ladies, and small green furry things from Alpha Centuri
cmdr drayton
Above Average
Above Average

Post by cmdr drayton »

I've just realised. I should call it Oogle maps.
Arexack_Heretic
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

lol

bummer about the code.
Riding the Rocket!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

cmdr drayton wrote:
I've just realised. I should call it Oogle maps.
Class! :lol:

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
TGHC
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by TGHC »

Excellent work..... as a matter of course I use nemo's route maps and switch between screens, it will prevent setting off my energy bomb by mistake with alt tab if I'm not paused or docked!

BTW does it also work in Oogle Local?

TGHC
The Grey Haired Commander has spoken!
OK so I'm a PC user - "you know whats scary? Out of billions of sperm I was the fastest"
cmdr drayton
Above Average
Above Average

Post by cmdr drayton »

I've not done Oogle local, I imagine it wouldn't be any harder really than the galaxy one - possibly easier, but it would be a separate problem to do that. I'm not sure how important it is though, since it's much more obvious on the local map how close things are, and what's more relevant is if things are in range given how much fuel you have, which is already shown.

All that said, it would be nice for the sake of consistency. Is it something you'd like?

Still waiting to hear back from Giles on how to get this into the official version, assuming he's up for that, but I imagine he's up to be his elbows in code ;-)
dajt
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by dajt »

I'd like to add something like this. And the damaged equipment code.

Cmdr Drayton, you still visiting?
Regards,
David Taylor.
NHMick
Average
Average

Post by NHMick »

dajt wrote:
I'd like to add something like this. And the damaged equipment code.

Cmdr Drayton, you still visiting?
I second that... I've been looking for the code somewhere - or hoping that Cmdr Drayton would post it - so that I could make the modifications myself (if it's not going to be released as an OXP).

The damaged equipment code would be really helpful, especially since during the heat of battle the last thing I have time to read is the scrolling messages informing me about which parts have been damaged.

I also agree that the Advanced Navigational Array (or Oogle Maps) should be an upgrade you can purchase at TL10+ or some such. I would love to have something like that!