Should running costs be much more expensive and frequent?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

I'd like to see berthing charges, maybe docking computer use charges (you get the instructions from the station, got to be worth 5 cr or so! - nice little earner for them), taxes in various systems (someone has got to pay for all those vipers). Bribery possible in some of the less salubrious systems perhaps? Permits for various things - cargo license, people carrying license, maybe a license for owning a ship over a certain tonnage, speed?

I'm really just conscious that in 'real life' trading is a game of very narrow margins. The difference between profit and loss is a very tight one. In Elite, once you've got a big chunky ship, profits are guaranteed. I'd like to see you still need to be savvy.

Cheers,

Drew.
Drew is an author of SF and Fantasy Novels
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

While, like has been said, it could be a tricky balance to avoid making it too hard on a new commander, I like your basic idea on this.

Maybe the higher-end ships and equipment should need more maintenance than the basic, low-end stuff. Maybe when you start the game, you could have some kind of "new-pilot-incentive maintenance plan" package thrown in, that covers your maintenance for a while.
Last edited by Commodore Sics D'fore on Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a number! I am a free man! ... Oh what the heck. You can call me Sics.
cleopas
Poor
Poor

Post by cleopas »

>> I'd like to see berthing charges,

However you rarely dock in a station without buying fuel and trading. Perhaps the fuel is heavily taxed already, or more importantly, profit is made from the buy/sell spread on items. When i go to the massive Bluewater shopping centre just outside London I don't pay a parking fee, because they want to encourage trade. The shops pay rent to the shopping centre out of their profits
As a new player who has just had to sell his Cobra for an Adder just to get started in the game, i'm finding the going quite tough. Especially as i now only have a 2 ton cargo hold!! Mind you, i've been hearing good things about these Joshers - maybe they are more suitable for my requirements (functionality over looks :) )

(I find all these talk of price rises reminiscent of the present UK government policy of taxing everything that moves -sorry that bit belongs in outworld...)
Rxke
Retired Assassin
Retired Assassin

Post by Rxke »

Boy oh boy, an adder to start out? Why not a Cobra mk II? 2 empty cargoslots is painfully cramped (or you only trade in gold, gems and platinum, which doesn't take up space?)
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

I've always thought that fuel is ridiculously cheap, particularly when you start flying the bigger ships, and why companies would bother shipping it about in those Woma transports escapes me, they must produce it so cheaply...
Surely it would make more sense for 7LY-worth of fuel to cost more for larger craft? And the other way round, smaller ships would cost less.
Just my 2 credits worth...
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
cleopas
Poor
Poor

Post by cleopas »

>> Boy oh boy, an adder to start out? Why not a Cobra mk II?

There weren't any good ships for sale and i didn't have the patience to wait anymore with my pulse laser and no ££ to spend. So i'm squeezing buy on lightweight goods right now. Although now is probably a good time to travel to a good spaceship emporium and switch...(i can't even scoop up the cargo!)
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

I do like the idea that 7 light years' fuel should cost more for a bigger ship. It fits in nicely with the 7 light year limit.

However, I'd be generally less favourable towards other costs. The maintenance is already there, and can represent quite a lot for a character that is still progressing through the ranks.

If you're worried that you have too much money, then just spread the love, and be a bit more extravagant!
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
Commodore Sics D'fore
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Commodore Sics D'fore »

cleopas wrote:
As a new player who has just had to sell his Cobra for an Adder just to get started in the game, i'm finding the going quite tough.
Savor your time as a struggling beginner. While it is rough, you may look back on it with a sense of strange nostalgia when the money gets so much easier.

Of course you can cut that "struggling" time a bit shorter by doing what I did: Find some nacotics at less than a credit per ton, buy a full load of it (in a decent sized cargo hold) and sell it somewhere for 100 credits/ton. That sure gave me a jump start relatively early in the game! The offender fines were well worth it! 8)
I am not a number! I am a free man! ... Oh what the heck. You can call me Sics.
GoreLeech
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GoreLeech »

I personaly laugh at those fines because i use every last drop of money for cargo, so wheen i dock and im an offender, they charge me 350 credits, but oops, i only have .6 of one LOL so im let off free.....WHEEEE
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Right then....

I want the ability to have negative CR balances...

loanshark.oxp anyone?

Cr advances, 25% APR. Get them here!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Arexack_Heretic
Dangerous Subversive Element
Dangerous Subversive Element
Location: [%H] = Earth surface, Lattitude 52°10'58.19"N, longtitude 4°30'0.25"E.

Post by Arexack_Heretic »

Loanshark could be a great starter oxp.

loan some cash from a shark to buy that ECM, scoop and cargo.
when you have accuired some 10KCr (or 15+ jumps),
it want's its cut...50000Creds, right NOW if you please.
Lose your ship (gameover) or do a dangerous pick up from an anarchic planet and bring the package to some policestate. Instant fugitive. :twisted:
(one way to avoid the shark could be to eject by pod and change your name. ;) )
Riding the Rocket!
Uncle Reno
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Uncle Reno »

Wiggy wrote:
I do like the idea that 7 light years' fuel should cost more for a bigger ship. It fits in nicely with the 7 light year limit.
How about the cost of fuel is linked to the number of energy banks you have as well as your cargo capacity? No idea if this could be done but it seems to make sense i.e. the bigger your cargo hold and more numerous your energy banks are the bigger your ship is and the more fuel is used to shift it. Perhaps larger ships use more fuel with fuel injectors as well?
"Get back or I unleash my lethal spotted batoid!!"

What I do when not reading the Oolite bulletin board!
drew
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by drew »

Arexack_Heretic wrote:
Loanshark could be a great starter oxp.

loan some cash from a shark to buy that ECM, scoop and cargo.
when you have accuired some 10KCr (or 15+ jumps),
it want's its cut...50000Creds, right NOW if you please.
Lose your ship (gameover) or do a dangerous pick up from an anarchic planet and bring the package to some policestate. Instant fugitive. :twisted:
(one way to avoid the shark could be to eject by pod and change your name. ;) )
Or they send out the 'boys'...to kick your asp!

Cheers,

Drew.
WebsiteFacebookTwitter
Roberto
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Roberto »

Yep, loans from dodgy lenders, like I said :)
ovvldc
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ovvldc »

I love the loan shark idea, but quite frankly, I dislike the idea of raising fees. The gameplay as it is now has a few pahses you go through:

* At first you are timid as hell and try to get enough money to kit out your ship (ECM, Witchspace injectors, a decent laser) so that you dare venture out of safe space.

* Then you go for saving up towards a bigger or faster ship or advanced kit, and start discovering the missions and contracts and explore Galaxy 1.

* Once you have a bit of a reputation and a comfortable ship, you set out to do everything there is to do, get your dream ship (Imp. Courier, FDL) and become Elite.

In the first phase (because you need to make every penny count) and in the second phase (because you can't earn very quickly), you worry about cash. After that, you should have the reputation and ship to let you make money when you need it. Like any very succesfull businessman, you've moved up.

Trying to drain the cash of advanced pilots strikes me as a bit spiteful in some ways.

Just my thoughts.

-Oscar