Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Cheap,Fast, and lots of Cargo! Can it be done??

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

GoreLeech
Dangerous
Dangerous

Cheap,Fast, and lots of Cargo! Can it be done??

Post by GoreLeech »

I was wondering,is there a fairly fast (i.e like .260 LS) cargo ship,able to carry about 100 T. of items,and is around like 120000-130000 credits? so far the only thing ive ever seen that comes close is a OXp for the Python E class, which gets 100 T. and .350 LS, but it cost like 350000 credits!! can anyone point me in a general direction( btw i would just make my own ship,but i suck with Wings 3D,so thats a no go :x )
Last edited by GoreLeech on Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiggy
Deadly
Deadly

Post by Wiggy »

For my money, the Josher represents excellent value. 6 missile racks, a good top speed and a load of space.

Obviously, anyone can create an OXP and specify cost price, cargo capacity and max speed however they want. However, there ought to be some balance / trade-off, however. It's not formalised (perhaps it should be...?) But generally a better ship is going to cost you more. :o

Part of the fun of the game is striving for things -- combat rating, equipment, missions, etc. Setting yourself a goal like affording that dream ship makes the game Better than Real Life (tm).
You came in that? You're braver than I thought!
GoreLeech
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GoreLeech »

mm....indeed....i just am tired of flying around in my little cobra Mk-II X and getting like a tiny amount of cargo....i just wish i could afford something with a little more cargo but good speed...and i know i know the MK III has that but,i need some weaponry for it and i cant afford that
Prophaniti
Above Average
Above Average

Post by Prophaniti »

I made my money in a tooled up Griffin II. With an extended cargo bay you can start taking on cargo contracts. Getting 120000cr for running platinum makes your day. :D
Odo987
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Odo987 »

Once you have military lasers and upgraded shields, you can make a lot of money by forcing witchspace malfunctions then shooting up the Thargoids. Each Thargoid is worth 350 Cr (counting the robot fighters) and you get anywhere from one to four Thargoids per jump. If you get too many Thargoids to handle, just mis-jump again.

Once you've saved up enough money to buy a Boa Class Cruiser, you can start trading and get a good reputation for yourself. That's when you can start making 500k Cr per trip across a galaxy, trading gems/gold/platinum along the way.

That's one path to riches. Obviously there's more than one way to skin a cat. (Brits: that's a N.American expression, no need to call the RSPCA.)
Attacking a Navigational Beacon is illegal. Police are on their way.
Star Gazer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: North Norfolk, UK, (Average Agricultural, Feudal States,Tech Level 8)

Post by Star Gazer »

Re: 'more than one way to skin a cat' - it's probably English in origin, so no need to apologise - we know what you mean! :wink:
Very funny, Scotty, now beam down my clothes...
GoreLeech
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GoreLeech »

mmm......i might have to download the griffin OXP in just a sec here. and while im on the topic of OXP's, do u guys who are fairly steady players have ALL the OXP's or at least all of the good ones???
lex_talionis
Deadly
Deadly

Post by lex_talionis »

as a matter of course, i just bung in every new oxp. there are a couple that are *still* doing weird things on my machine - behemoth.oxp i think is one - but i've still to upgrade to the latest version. Too much to do, you see...

:roll:
edible poet? onna stick?
ArkanoiD
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by ArkanoiD »

GoreLeech wrote:
mmm......i might have to download the griffin OXP in just a sec here. and while im on the topic of OXP's, do u guys who are fairly steady players have ALL the OXP's or at least all of the good ones???
a poll:

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?t=2225
GoreLeech
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GoreLeech »

mmm.......my problem was,the last update(before 1.65, i think i had like 1.58,or 1.55, cant remeber) i had like half of the OXP's that were good, problem was it got to the point were one day Oolite wouldnt launch, but i think that stemmed from the fact that i was using Mac OSX 10.3.9, this system is notoriusly plauged by this bug from every game that ever existed and has patched before....it seems that due to incompatibility with the system causes newly updated games to crash on start,but theres an easy way to fix it, so i think that was my problem...still it makes me wonder if u can overload Oolite with to many OXP's
JensAyton
Grand Admiral Emeritus
Grand Admiral Emeritus

Post by JensAyton »

GoreLeech
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by GoreLeech »

well solved that question by my self! i downloaded over 50 OXP's and barely even any lagg..soo it was just my machine i believe