Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Rescueing/capturing people/green slimy frogs

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Rescueing/capturing people/green slimy frogs

Post by Cmdr Monte »

I just flew through a system absolutely crawling with pirates and a few innocent Annacondas. I got to the point where I was ejecting any cargo worth less that 50cr a ton to make room for the barrels full of platinum and Gold that I had liberaed from their criminal owners.

Although I only had captured two escape pods that were going to give a reward, I'd picked up 5 ton of slaves. At only 20cr a ton, I didn't want to give up my precious cargo space to these free-loaders but couldn't dump the unprofitably uninsured for fear of loosing a reward.

If I did eject some slaves, would I just run a random risk of loosing my reward or would I automatically eject the nameless slaves first.
aegidian
Master and Commander
Master and Commander

Post by aegidian »

Unless you rotate the cargo, the cargo bay is Last-In-First-Out which may help.

Otherwise just eject all the pods and scoop them again, ejecting the 'Slave' immediately after you scoop it.
"The planet Rear is scourged by well-intentioned OXZs."

Oolite models and gear? click here!
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

That's a good idea but only very rarely does a cargo cannister survive the ejection process.
northers
Average
Average

Post by northers »

How do you rotate your cargo? I try to take around 50% of cargo to most systems with the hope that I may score some high value cargo from various other space goers, but I get frustrated when I scoop a ton of food, thus filling my cargo bay and there are other cannisters floating about.

I didn't realise you get a reward for capturing pirate escape pods as well. Is this the case in the non-oxp game? Up until now I have made a point of vapourising any pirate that has had the temerity to try to do me. Doh. I just thought all pilots would be converted to slaves.
CWolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by CWolf »

It's the normal game, not an OXP.

AFAIK they always show up as slaves in the hold, however when you dock it gives you a reward. Also if someone else was killed by pirates and you see an escape pod it is worth rescuing them. Again it shows as slaves but you get a reward from the insurance company. At least on 1.65 (Doze version I am running).
The act of talking b*ll*cks whilst waving one's arms about wildly is referred to as testiculation.

lucabu
Competent
Competent

Post by lucabu »

northers wrote:
How do you rotate your cargo? I try to take around 50% of cargo to most systems with the hope that I may score some high value cargo from various other space goers, but I get frustrated when I scoop a ton of food, thus filling my cargo bay and there are other cannisters floating about.

I didn't realise you get a reward for capturing pirate escape pods as well. Is this the case in the non-oxp game? Up until now I have made a point of vapourising any pirate that has had the temerity to try to do me. Doh. I just thought all pilots would be converted to slaves.
You rotate cargo using SHIFT+r. Update to 1.65 to get rewards.

Luca.
Cmdr Monte
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Cmdr Monte »

CWolf wrote:
It's the normal game, not an OXP.

AFAIK they always show up as slaves in the hold, however when you dock it gives you a reward. Also if someone else was killed by pirates and you see an escape pod it is worth rescuing them. Again it shows as slaves but you get a reward from the insurance company. At least on 1.65 (Doze version I am running).
I don't always get a reward. Only if it gives me a name when I pick up the pod. Most regularly, I just get a message saying I captured a slave and then I get no reward.
northers
Average
Average

Post by northers »

Thanks for the info fellers. I will try it out tonight.