Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How to fight?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Laie
Average
Average

How to fight?

Post by Laie »

Sniping with the rear laser rarely works for me: I just take too long to get my laser lined up by the last fraction of a pixel.

Getting in close, knives out, works somewhat better as long as I only have a few opponents. Most of the time, however, I face four or more, which easily becomes an hour of loopity-loop until I manage to destroy one of them. IF they have the decency to stick around -- many run away, and I can't give chase with three more on my tail.

I seem to remember that in the old days, I simply avoided such fights. However, I don't think I have ever seen a single raider in Oolite -- it's always packs of four or five, rarely three, but never less. So either I avoid all combat, or learn how to deal with it.

But how? This is my third evening of dogfighting and I don't feel like my skill is improving at all. It's just a long dance until, eventually, either I or they get lucky. Most of the time I can't even see my opponent; when I do, I only have a brief window of opportunity before the moment is over. Landing a few hits ever twenty seconds or so simply is not enough. With fewer opponents, I can slow down more, which makes it easier to keep the enemy in my sights; but in a furball, anything below about 1/3rd throttle makes me too easy to hit.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: How to fight?

Post by Cholmondely »

https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Tactics

There are other pages linked to it.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Laie
Average
Average

Post by Laie »

Is there difficulty setting somewhere?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Laie wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 7:38 pm
Is there difficulty setting somewhere?
Yes indeed. Sort of!

I've never tried it, but cim's Skilled NPCs OXP might be tweakable to make combat easier. You will need Library.OXP to do this (via the "Config for AddOns" option on your docked F4 screen).

See OXP NPC Combat AI for details of accuracy ratings.

Alternatively, Paddling Pool OXP creates a safer area with fewer pirates around Lave.

And you can always look at the OXPs listed under https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File: ... violet.png & https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File: ... r-blue.png to see if any help!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Laie
Average
Average

Post by Laie »

A paddling pool is not going to help -- my current problem is that I have accepted an contract and find un-avoidable, injector-equipped assassins at almost every witchpoint.

I'll try the "skilled NPCs" ...looks like it's default setting is "lowest skill for everyone".
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Laie wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 10:21 pm
A paddling pool is not going to help -- my current problem is that I have accepted an contract and find un-avoidable, injector-equipped assassins at almost every witchpoint.

I'll try the "skilled NPCs" ...looks like it's default setting is "lowest skill for everyone".
I've not done them myself, but I understand that the higher-paying contracts are usually higher-paying for jolly good reasons... as in Real Life...
Comments wanted:
Laie
Average
Average

Post by Laie »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:58 am
I've not done them myself, but I understand that the higher-paying contracts are usually higher-paying for jolly good reasons... as in Real Life...
I expected to find assassins somewhere along the way, I didn't expect a welcome committee at every single witchpoint. On top of that, all outlaws I encountered would also tell me that I have picked the wrong client. Even solitary ones that would usually keep their distance.

It was my first contract, didn't pay very well and sounded harmless enough, somebody's medical data...