Navigation Beacons MFD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Navigation Beacons MFD

Post by phkb »

As Cholly observed elsewhere, I've had an unpublished MFD lurking in my AddOns. It's a fairly simple one: It lists all navigation beacons you can see with your Space Compass, in order of closest to you. It looks like this:

In this example, my space compass is currently targeting the Nuit Station.

The idea for this was to just list the beacons - that's it. Nothing fancy. There are a couple of options in Library Config: you can change the display units, and choose whether you just see ships/stations.

Edit to add: Cost is 50cr, and the ASC is a requirement. Purchase in any TL8+ system.

You can download this from here for now: NavigationBeaconsMFD.oxz

Let me know of any issues. Comments and feedback welcome! If there are no burning issues discovered, I'll put it in the DM in a few days.
Last edited by phkb on Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Navigation Beacons MFD

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:31 am
As Cholly observed elsewhere, I've had an unpublished MFD lurking in my AddOns. It's a fairly simple one: It lists all navigation beacons you can see with your Space Compass, in order of closest to you. It looks like this:

In this example, my space compass is currently targeting the Nuit Station.

The idea for this was to just list the beacons - that's it. Nothing fancy. There are a couple of options in Library Config: you can change the display units, and choose whether you just see ships/stations.

You can download this from here for now: NavigationBeaconsMFD.oxz

Let me know of any issues. Comments and feedback welcome! If there are no burning issues discovered, I'll put it in the DM in a few days.
Thanks for this!

Is it designed for players - or more for developers/playtesters and thus a bit of a cheat for players?

And, I wonder, Vanilla Oolite presumably just has 3 beacons: Station, Witchpoint & possibly the Rock Hermit (does it actually have a beacon in Vanilla?).

But with OXPs, what is the greatest possible number of beacons?

Maybe 15 or so for stations (for a wealthy Corporate with a naval base: Main Orbital, Superhub, Nuit, Nephthys, SothisTC, RSS, Constore, Taxi Galactica, GN SecCom, SIRF, + 5 other planets), + 3 RHs + RingRacer + Leviathan Platform = 20!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

It’s designed for players. It’s not a cheat, because the information is available by cycling targets on your space compass.

In a base game, yes, not many beacons in play, so the list won’t be a long one in that mode.

Maximum number of beacons? Not sure actually. Probably not a number you’d want to explore really - when there are that many beacons, space starts to feel very busy and full.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

On loading..
"NavigationBeaconsMFD.oxz" does not have a valid manifest.plist and could not be loaded
From the log.

Code: Select all

[plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse AddOns/NavigationBeaconsMFD.oxz/manifest.plist as a property list.
Parse failed at line 8 (char 319) - unexpected character (wanted ';' or '}')
Needs a semicolon at end of information_url line. Inserted. Works.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Aw, dang it!

But that’s why we test, people!

Note to self: Don’t add code just before uploading, without testing it.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:58 pm
Aw, dang it!

But that’s why we test, people!

Note to self: Don’t add code just before uploading, without testing it.
cim created some scripts that could be run for basic tests and zipping: https://github.com/cim--/oxp-build-scripts
I intended to work further on them but did not get very far: https://github.com/HiranChaudhuri/Jellyfish
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite