Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Planetfall 2.0 (probably)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Planetfall 2.0 (probably)

Post by Nite Owl »

Have not yet had a chance to actually fly about with v2.5. Did have the time to give it my usual Read the Files and Try to Learn Something™ once over. Most impressed by the included scripting tutorials. Learned a lot about arrays and such which might come in handy at some point.

Thanks Once Again.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

From Famous Planets:

"0 8" ={description = "Zaatxe is a rich corporate state in the Pulsar Worlds with an abundance of red sand. Zaatxerian sand is a so-called ultraconductor and is used in computers. There are countless plants that convert the Zaatxerian sand into computer related products. Spacers seldom touch down on the surface due to the extreme sandstorms and the very dangerous fauna. The Zaatxeian deadly Ouenbeoid is a 30 metre long sandworm and the lethal spotted craboids, of which there are plenty, are known for their fast and often deadly attacks.";};

Can one increase the turbulence on Zaatxe below (say) 5km - and possibly even add "sand" to the effects?

"0 10" ={description = "Teaatis is mildly well known for Teaatisian vicious brew. The thick gaslike cloud cover of the planet produces droplets which are rich in acid, which are captured by large screens under the cloudfactories. The concentrated acid is mixed in the Teaatisian vicious brew and sold on the juice market for consumption by some insect and frog species. Humans are advised to drink something else.";};

Can one increase the wear and tear/hull damage on the ship from landing?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Cholmondely wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:30 pm
Can one increase the turbulence on Zaatxe below (say) 4km - and possibly even add "sand" to the effects?
I know you meant to write 4km, because that's where the red zone on the altimeter starts. And, my guess is the substantive answer is: yes, but it would be javascripted, not just tweaking a planetinfo parameter.
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Wildeblood wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:38 pm
Can one increase the turbulence on Zaatxe below (say) 4km - and possibly even add "sand" to the effects?
I know you meant to write 4km, because that's where the red zone on the altimeter starts. And, my guess is the substantive answer is: yes, but it would be javascripted, not just tweaking a planetinfo parameter.
Since it is Phkb's javascript which actually introduces the turbulence, I suppose that it would have to be. A shame. I find that the OpenStep legacy script actually makes a little sense to me, but since the Javascript is so superior in its capabilities, there seems little point in mastering it.

But no, 4km was just a wild guess at the height of a sandstorm. Sorry!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Can one increase the turbulence on Zaatxe below (say) 5km - and possibly even add "sand" to the effects?
The height is tweakable as a global setting - I hadn't really considered having it as a local setting. It shouldn't be difficult to add, though.
As for the sand effects - yeah, not as sure. Not sure I could come up with something that wouldn't be immersion breaking. Signs are definitely pointing to "maybe", with regular dips towards "no".
Can one increase the wear and tear/hull damage on the ship from landing?
Again, had this as a global setting. And again, shouldn't be difficult to allow this to be tweakable on a system level.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:11 pm
As for the sand effects - yeah, not as sure. Not sure I could come up with something that wouldn't be immersion breaking. Signs are definitely pointing to "maybe", with regular dips towards "no".
I was thinking more in terms of what one is actually flying through on the way down to the beacon. Would it be that difficult to create clouds/sandstorms/rainstorms/lightening storms to fly one's ship through?

The reason for all this is a desire to emulate the FP descriptions. To be blunt, what happens in-game on the planet surface will be much more important. There is little point in a fabulous atmospheric landing to a boring old F4 screen with little to do that is not already on the Coriolis above!
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:30 am
I was thinking more in terms of what one is actually flying through on the way down to the beacon. Would it be that difficult to create clouds/sandstorms/rainstorms/lightening storms to fly one's ship through?
I'd would need to create a visual effect (which is the easy bit) that is then thrown up in front of the player in increasing amounts. The issue is: what will that visual effect be? Probably some form of shader, which is the hard bit. I have examples from the planet rings OXP that *might* be transferable to this task, but I;m really not sure. Thus, the "maybe" with a healthy dose of "possible no".
The reason for all this is a desire to emulate the FP descriptions.
This I understand. I will give it a go (once I've finished off a couple of other projects), but no promises at this stage.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:38 am
I'd would need to create a visual effect (which is the easy bit) that is then thrown up in front of the player in increasing amounts. The issue is: what will that visual effect be? Probably some form of shader, which is the hard bit. I have examples from the planet rings OXP that *might* be transferable to this task, but I;m really not sure. Thus, the "maybe" with a healthy dose of "possible no".
The reason for all this is a desire to emulate the FP descriptions.
This I understand. I will give it a go (once I've finished off a couple of other projects), but no promises at this stage.
I can't see it as too urgent.

The only real stuff to do down on the planet is the Feudal States stuff. How many trips will players make down planet? Will they ever notice that Zaatxe's turbulence is just the same as anywhere else's? And ditto for Teaatis's wear and tear! And neither is a Royal House of Santaari (Feudal Teaatis has a TL of 3 and so misses out!).
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 9:21 am
The only real stuff to do down on the planet is the Feudal States stuff. How many trips will players make down planet? Will they ever notice that Zaatxe's turbulence is just the same as anywhere else's? And ditto for Teaatis's wear and tear! And neither is a Royal House of Santaari (Feudal Teaatis has a TL of 3 and so misses out!).
But it's good to point out some of the exceptional cases. That gives me some idea on the things I need to allow for so individual systems can be made more unique.
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Small thing I noticed in the names file is that at lines 1003 to 1005, there is a missing pair of brackets round the 9 array so not all types get the type of base bracketed off.

Code: Select all

"New 4 (9)",
				"{1 4 } 9",
				"{5 4 } 9",
				"{6 4 } 9"
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
phkb

Post by phkb »

LittleBear wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 2:26 pm
Small thing I noticed in the names file is that at lines 1003 to 1005, there is a missing pair of brackets round the 9 array so not all types get the type of base bracketed off.
Thanks for that. If you want to patch your version prior to an official release, the lines you quote should look like this:

Code: Select all

"New 4 (9)",
				"{1 4 (}9)",
				"{5 4 (}9)",
				"{6 4 (}9)"