Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Planetfall 2.0 (probably)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Planetfall 2.0 (maybe)

Post by Cody »

My frazzled brain was thinking larger planets would have higher gravity, therefore landing on them should be more difficult.
As you mentioned, ship dimensions should also be a factor - don't try landing a Conda on a high-G planet.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I've now tried it twice.

The first time I was so busy fighting the turbulence that I lost sight of my altitude/cabin temperature => "Press Space, Commander"

The second time I controlled everything but crashed into the planet surface (having found no beacons, looking for a safe field to land on) => "Press Space, Commander"

In neither case did I see any beacon anywhere/find anything on the ASC/notice anything on either MFD of Telescope. No Royal Court. No Lesser Walsingham Space Port. No Dismal Desert. Nothing.

What should I be looking for?

The turbulence is an inspired addition... Well done!

Flying a Cobra Mk.3 with External Heat Shielding and Atmospheric Stabilisers. Trying to land on Digebiti (your planet texture OXP - and with Povray Planets and Stranger's FPO also loaded but with Povray's Digebiti commented out).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

I’m not sure of whether Telescope might need a tweak to get it to work with this one. It can been pretty opaque in what it does, and almost impossible to monkey patch, so if there is a problem with it, in not picking up the landing points, it will need to be patched independently. I also don’t personally use it so I might have missed the incompatibilities.

In any event, you’re looking for a small, flashing beacon, just above the planet surface. It will show up on your space compass when you’re within 100kms of it, so I would suggest circling your planet at a safe distance and cycling through space compass targets. The way Feudal states works, many of them will only have one landing point, which will be the Royal Lodge. At the moment it probably won’t be called “Lesser Walsingham Space Port”. It will have a randomly generated name, but I can pre-seed the name for the next release.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:50 pm
I’m not sure of whether Telescope might need a tweak to get it to work with this one. It can been pretty opaque in what it does, and almost impossible to monkey patch, so if there is a problem with it, in not picking up the landing points, it will need to be patched independently. I also don’t personally use it so I might have missed the incompatibilities.

In any event, you’re looking for a small, flashing beacon, just above the planet surface. It will show up on your space compass when you’re within 100kms of it, so I would suggest circling your planet at a safe distance and cycling through space compass targets. The way Feudal states works, many of them will only have one landing point, which will be the Royal Lodge. At the moment it probably won’t be called “Lesser Walsingham Space Port”. It will have a randomly generated name, but I can pre-seed the name for the next release.
Just removed almost all my OXPs and had another two goes.

Saw no beacons, crashed once and circled the planet twice. Nothing. I'd preselected 5-ish landing spots on the Library Config.

I'll have another stab later, looking for the beacons and constantly cycling the ASC.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Can the various beacons be placed on the actual planet texture OXPs? Digebiti, Lave, Tianve, etc.?
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

And I’ll have a go myself and make sure I’m not talking through my… well, talking without having fully researched the answer.
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:21 pm
Can the various beacons be placed on the actual planet texture OXPs? Digebiti, Lave, Tianve, etc.?
No, the beacons are fixed in place above the surface, and the planet will rotate underneath them. I haven’t tried to make them rotate with the planet yet, although I may look at doing that later. No promises, though.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Having restored a working setup I am now first time trying to planetfall. Downloaded the oxz from the url given in viewtopic.php?p=295370#p295370. Now I am wondering which planet might have that beacon..?

Ah, nice. I found another download link in viewtopic.php?p=295370#p295370. Seems to reference the same file though?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb

Post by phkb »

If you're not in a Feudal system, then every main planet will have something like 4 or 5 site. Additional planets (added by the "Additional Planets" OXP) that have atmosphere will have up to 3, and moons will have up to 2.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:06 pm
If you're not in a Feudal system, then every main planet will have something like 4 or 5 site. Additional planets (added by the "Additional Planets" OXP) that have atmosphere will have up to 3, and moons will have up to 2.
Ok, I am in Ceesxe, Corporate State. Check the main planet I cannot find a landing site. But I like the atmospheric effects a lot.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:08 pm
I cannot find a landing site
Check your space compass targets. The locations should be prefixed with "Planet:"
phkb

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:03 pm
Having restored a working setup I am now first time trying to planetfall. Downloaded the oxz from the url given in viewtopic.php?p=295370#p295370. Now I am wondering which planet might have that beacon..?

Ah, nice. I found another download link in viewtopic.php?p=295370#p295370. Seems to reference the same file though?
Both those links are the same, though...
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:19 pm
Saw no beacons, crashed once and circled the planet twice. Nothing. I'd preselected 5-ish landing spots on the Library Config.
OK, I just confirmed there is one landing site on the main planet in Digebiti if Feudal states is installed. And I confirmed I could land at that site.

However! The beacon was *very* hard to see against the planet texture. And I cheated a bit by extending the distance at which landing sites show up on your space compass to 200km. So, my take away from this is: (1) find a way to make the landing sites more visible, and (2) keep the 200km distance for revealing landing sites on your compass.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Tried another time with my entire cocktail recipe minus Feudal States.

Flew right around Digebiti scanning the ASC like crazy. Still nothing.

1) Latest Log shows (searching for "Planet"):

22:54:05.796 [plist.parse.failed] OOPropertyListFromData (OOPListParsing.m:72): Failed to parse /Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns/oolite.oxp.phkb.PlanetFall2.oxz/Config/shipdata.plist as a property list.

22:54:34.252 [script.javaScript.exception.unexpectedType] ReportJSError (OOJavaScriptEngine.m:204): ***** JavaScript exception (PlanetFall2 2.0): TypeError: pfKeys is null
"oolite-offlane-hermit":{"groupCount":1,"deterministic":1,"priority":99,"location":"PLANET_ORBIT_HIGH","locationSeed":71258},
"spicy_hermits_abandoned0":{"location":"PLANET_ORBIT_HIGH"},

22:56:18.733 [LogEvents] GlobalLog (OOJSGlobal.m:266): compass targeted Digebiti Prime undefined in mode COMPASS_MODE_PLANET

1a) From AppleMac's "Terminal" (shipdata.plist):

2024-04-10 23:29:40.923 plutil[4702:8625150] CFPropertyListCreateFromXMLData(): Old-style plist parser: missing semicolon in dictionary on line 450. Parsing will be abandoned. Break on _CFPropertyListMissingSemicolon to debug.
~/oolite.oxp.phkb.PlanetFall2.oxp/Config/shipdata.plist: Unexpected character { at line 1

2) I'm sure that you will have thought of this, but since a capital city is not usually in hiding, perhaps it should be discoverable from beyond 100km distance?

Which lines would I need to tweak - and in which of the plethora of files - to manage this?
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:31 pm

Code: Select all

22:54:05.796 [plist.parse.failed] OOPropertyListFromData (OOPListParsing.m:72): Failed to parse /Users/accountname/Library/Application Support/Oolite/Managed AddOns/oolite.oxp.phkb.PlanetFall2.oxz/Config/shipdata.plist as a property list.
Ah, yeah, that would do it. Missing semicolon on line 449 of shipdata.plist. Everything seems OK from that point on, so it should just be the one fix.

New release is one the way. But if you want to change the 100km range to 200km ahead of the release, the line to change is 1265 of "planetFall2_worldScript.js" from this:

if (check < 100000) {
to this:

if (check < 200000) {
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:27 pm
Lesser Walsingham Space Port
Do you want your Royal Court on Digebiti to have this name?