Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Planetfall 2.0 (probably)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Planetfall 2.0 (maybe)

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:02 pm
But, you know, the combination of Phkb's new PF together with your work on FS add an entirely new dimension to the game. A better feel. More sophisticated. Enjoying it!
Enough of a new dimension to make it a flavour?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:13 pm
But, you know, the combination of Phkb's new PF together with your work on FS add an entirely new dimension to the game. A better feel. More sophisticated. Enjoying it!
They are already part of the "Depth" flavour which includes the systems OXPs (Commies, Dictatorships, Anarchies and Feudal States). DGill's version will replace the current FS v.2, just as phkb's Planet Fall v.2 will replace the current v.1. And PlanetFall is already required by Feudal States.

Fuedal States already outshines the other Systems OXPs (not only ships and stations but "feudal things to do" too)! There is a bit more polishing to do before the current version is published. Just as with PlanetFall v.2

As a result, the addition of extra landing sites should perhaps be better done in Feudal States v.3 rather than in PF v.2. Then v.2 can be used seamlessly (ha!) with both FS v.2 and FS v.3
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:08 pm
hiran wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:13 pm
They are already part of the "Depth" flavour which includes the systems OXPs (Commies, Dictatorships, Anarchies and Feudal States). DGill's version will replace the current FS v.2, just as phkb's Planet Fall v.2 will replace the current v.1. And PlanetFall is already required by Feudal States.

Fuedal States already outshines the other Systems OXPs (not only ships and stations but "feudal things to do" too)! There is a bit more polishing to do before the current version is published. Just as with PlanetFall v.2

As a result, the addition of extra landing sites should perhaps be better done in Feudal States v.3 rather than in PF v.2. Then v.2 can be used seamlessly (ha!) with both FS v.2 and FS v.3
I like both ideas: To put them into the Depth flavour, and to keep PlanetFall as an enabler for other 'story-bound' OXPs.
Let's take that discussion on in viewtopic.php?t=21456
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

I managed to fight my way down to the surface, discovered the new links on the F4 screen - and then discovered that the Chancery were currently all asleep! After I almost killed myself to get down there!! :cry:

I'll probably want to think about the interface (F4 screen Chancery/Livery Office). I had no luck bumping into anybody at Digebiti orbital station.

On landing at the spaceport the F4 Livery Office option is required in order to take the flitter to the Royal Court/Chancery where missions are assigned.
The F4 Chancery option does not do anything at the Spaceport as the Chancery is at the Royal Court. - I possibly need to remove the Chancery Key from the F4 menu - I've only left it there in case it comes in useful for some future mission.

The Orbital Station conversations are only relevant for new pilots to direct them down to the planet if they wish to undertake missions. After visiting the planet the conversations are permanently turned off as I considered the pilot would not need reminding that the planet needs to be visited to select a Feudal State mission. If you would prefer, I could have some form of greeting messages for new and returning pilots to the Orbital Station.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

DGill wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:30 pm

I managed to fight my way down to the surface, discovered the new links on the F4 screen - and then discovered that the Chancery were currently all asleep! After I almost killed myself to get down there!! :cry:

I'll probably want to think about the interface (F4 screen Chancery/Livery Office). I had no luck bumping into anybody at Digebiti orbital station.

On landing at the spaceport the F4 Livery Office option is required in order to take the flitter to the Royal Court/Chancery where missions are assigned.
The F4 Chancery option does not do anything at the Spaceport as the Chancery is at the Royal Court. - I possibly need to remove the Chancery Key from the F4 menu - I've only left it there in case it comes in useful for some future mission.

The Orbital Station conversations are only relevant for new pilots to direct them down to the planet if they wish to undertake missions. After visiting the planet the conversations are permanently turned off as I considered the pilot would not need reminding that the planet needs to be visited to select a Feudal State mission. If you would prefer, I could have some form of greeting messages for new and returning pilots to the Orbital Station.
I was downplanet at the Space Port (titled by the Galactic Almanac as a Feudal Lodge called the "Citadel of Temperance"! Not Lesser Walsingham or anything else I'd ever heard of.

There were no offers of anything at the Royal Livery Office. What I found was a “stroll around the various admin offices” + “on occasion a known associate…”

At the Royal Court Chancery I got “Access denied! You are not authorised to attend the Royal Court at this time.” But I’m not at the Royal Court!

I presumed that I was at a Royal Court of some sort and that it must have been the early hours of the morning! That all I needed to do was wait a few hours. Alas, I could not use LitF for that (staying over in a hotel room) as it just gave me a "This station is considerably different than main GalCop stations. You're in the hangar where your ship is parked together with other ships. There are some closed doors around, looks like you should go back into your ship and do your orders via ship communication channels.".!!

After surviving the perils of landing, I was in no great hurry to try it all over again!

As recently adumbrated elsewhere, I feel that we should be naming the planetary space ports in your OXP. We can then fit them in with the lore - (Rough Guide/Famous Planets) as well as giving meaningful options of other landing sites if you elect to go down that route.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:54 pm
2) Disembarking (I've HDBG & LitF running.)

On landing I tried to disembark (using LitF+v0.06.1.oxp). I saw the ugly HDBG-A.oxp "no disembarking" screen (Dead_End_Final_by_Kheng_Teoh.png) which does not fit a space port at all!

I do not know if this is worth sorting out. My fault for selecting the option on the F4 menu. And I can't see too many people using LitF for an extended period until a better version is properly published.
I think the reason for this is fairly simple. On line 309 of "LITF_Navigation.js" you should see something like this:

Code: Select all

if( w ) sid = "hdbg-station";
Change this to

//if( w ) sid = "hdbg-station";
And you won't get the HDBG image.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Another complication, I'm afraid.

If this "flavours" thing takes off (and even if it doesn't) there will be many new players starting off with a zillion-and-one OXPs who won't realise that they can get their ship serviced - or that they need to go down to the planet for it.

You might need some sort of chap in the F3 ship's chandlery dispensing friendly advice if maintenance starts becoming urgent. And you might also wish to incorporate your Maintenance Tune Up OXP in some way!
Comments wanted:
phkb

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:20 am
Not sure what might be right or wrong here. Why is it mentioned in the logs?
@hiran, how did you get on with the following?
OK, can I get you to insert these lines just before line 776:

log(this.name, "distOffset = " + distOffset + " - " + isNaN(distOffset));
		log(this.name, "globalCount = " + this.globalCount + " - " + isNaN(this.globalCount));
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:08 pm
I've got a system in place now that will allow for fully custom systems to be predefined, including naming the sites, and covers extra planets and moons as well, if required. I've got a little OXP ready to hand over that will (hopefully, fingers crossed) provide the template you need to "go nuts" as it were, and build up a suite of Feudal systems, all with their own custom landing sites and names. Once I hear back from hiran about the issue he was having and hopefully get a fix into the code, I'll throw it your way.

Here's a sneak peak of what it looks like:

var pf = worldScripts.PlanetFall2;
    pf._locationOverrides["0 96"] = {
        main: [
            {
                roles: ["planetFall2_mainSurface_FSRoyalCourt", "capitalCity", "planetFall2_mainSurface_FSCathedral", "capitalCity"],
                names: ["Sir Ffoliot Cary Port, Lesser Walsingham (Royal Court)", "Lesser Walsingham (Capital City)", "Greater Walsingham (Cathedral)", "Lancaster (City)"],
            }
        ],
    };
And don't worry about the code side of things. I can walk you through everything. But in short, what the above will give you is the following landing sites in Digebiti:
- A Royal Court, named "Sir Ffoliot Cary Port, Lesser Walsingham (Royal Court)"
- A capital city, named "Lesser Walsingham (Capital City)"
- A Cathedral, named "Greater Walsingham (Cathedral)"
- Another city, named: "Lancaster (City)"

The two capital cities are standard city entries from PlanetFall. The Royal Court is the existing item in Feudal States, and the Cathedral is a new item.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Thanks for this!

And thanks for the above tweak to remove LitF's HDBG picture at the SpacePort. I got the LitF picture instead - which was much more immersive (same message - this will need fixing if Massively Locked ever returns to our fold. I see little point in fixing it until the rest of LitF is sorted out).
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:17 pm
hiran wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:20 am
Not sure what might be right or wrong here. Why is it mentioned in the logs?
@hiran, how did you get on with the following?
OK, can I get you to insert these lines just before line 776:

log(this.name, "distOffset = " + distOffset + " - " + isNaN(distOffset));
		log(this.name, "globalCount = " + this.globalCount + " - " + isNaN(this.globalCount));
Got distracted by slight improvements to OoliteStarter and finally creating some flavours since we have some ideas now.
Creating flavors works if I remove all installed expansions, then just add those that are required - in this process PlanetFall fell off the back burner. But I shall come back.
phkb

Post by phkb »

There are 2 serious issues in the current release, which are worth noting. Only 1 has a workaround.
Issue 1: When you launch from a planetary location, the service level of your ship will drop to the minimum (75). The reason is on line 1013 of "planetFall2_worldScript.js". The line reads:

player.ship.serviceLevel = - 1;
That code should actually be

player.ship.serviceLevel -= 1;
That's the bug that can't be worked around with out the change.

Issue 2: This relates to the turbulence effect. If you enter witchspace while the effect is active, you will arrive in the new system with the effect still
playing. I have a fix for the next version, but in the meantime, if you make sure you clear the atmosphere before initiating a jump, that will prevent the issue from occurring. By default, the atmosphere starts 15km above the surface.

Thanks to Nite Owl for reporting the issues!
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:23 am
Issue 2: This relates to the turbulence effect. If you enter witchspace while the effect is active, you will arrive in the new system with the effect still
playing. I have a fix for the next version, but in the meantime, if you make sure you clear the atmosphere before initiating a jump, that will prevent the issue from occurring. By default, the atmosphere starts 15km above the surface.

Thanks to Nite Owl for reporting the issues!
Jumping from within the atmosphere?
I would not even try to do that. In too many stories hyperdrive/witchspace etc only work when the ship is clear of big masses. In some SciFi plots the pilot is going for the lagrange point to jump away quicker.

In Oolite the turbulences should at least be warranty for a misjump.
phkb

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:50 am
That's a good idea! Maybe not every time, but a 50% chance of a misjump when inside the atmosphere.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:52 am
hiran wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:50 am
That's a good idea! Maybe not every time, but a 50% chance of a misjump when inside the atmosphere.
...and the other 50% are a balloon pop => press Space, Commander. :mrgreen: