Planetfall 2.0 (probably)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Planetfall 2.0 (maybe)

Post by phkb »

I’m sure ever “Telescope” user will be happy to note that I’ve managed to get it to recognise the ground control interface points. And you can also target the point when it’s inside scanner distance. Which I hope leads to fewer craters been left behind on planet surfaces.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:50 am
hiran wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:20 am
Not sure what might be right or wrong here. Why is it mentioned in the logs?
Well, I could say there is nothing wrong here, because it works on *my* setup. But that doesn't get us closer to a solution.

It all comes down to two variables: distOffset and this.globalCount. One of those values is not being treated as a number, resulting in the NaN x 3 in the error message.

OK, can I get you to insert these lines just before line 776:

Code: Select all

log(this.name, "distOffset = " + distOffset + " - " + isNaN(distOffset));
		log(this.name, "globalCount = " + this.globalCount + " - " + isNaN(this.globalCount));
Retest and let me know what you get.
I came back to retry this one. Had to search this meanwhile quite long chat to get the download URL, then had to read carefully again to find the required patches. That's why I opened Expansion Pack Field Testing

With the quoted stuff, I get still get no selectable target for the astrogation compass, but here is something from my logfile:

08:44:41.863 [PlanetFall2_MonkeyPatch]: Monkey-patching $addPlanets function of Additional Planets
08:44:41.870 [PlanetFall2]: distOffset = 16 - false
08:44:41.870 [PlanetFall2]: globalCount = NaN - true
08:44:41.898 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]: ***** JavaScript exception (System Redux 0.9): Error: Could not construct vector from parameters (NaN, NaN, NaN) -- expected Vector, Entity or array of three numbers.
08:44:41.898 [script.javaScript.exception.ooliteDefined]:       AddOns/PlanetFall2.oxp/Scripts/planetFall2_worldScript.js, line 778.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Ok, I added line 25, which sits nicely in the middle of:

this.preload = false;
this.additionalPlanets = false;
this.globalCount = 0;

this._landingImages = {
With this I found a landing site on the Ceesxe moon and approached it very slowly. Got the 'low altitude' warnings. And just when I thought I had gone through it I saw a station screen saying

Your ship experienced some damage during re-entry. Cause: Approach to ground control interface point was too steep.
Alter all I have landed the ship on something planet-like. Am now on 'Ceesxe: Mine'. As it seems the issued 'Low Altitude' warning was comparatively unimportant to the approach angle. But that is another topic.
phkb

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:52 am
With the quoted stuff, I get still get no selectable target for the astrogation compass, but here is something from my logfile:
Thanks, hiran. That confirms what I thought the issue was.

So, version 2.1 is now available:
PlanetFall2.oxz

With this version, I've separated all the Feudal States code out and put it in an OXP of its own. This includes the Digebiti example of constructing a fully custom system. So, if you have Feudal States, and want to use PlanetFall2, you'll need this OXP as well.
Feudal_PlanetFall2.oxz

The goal would be for this extra OXP to be incorporated into Feudal States at some point in the future. Not important now, just wanted to flag intentions.

Anyway, big list of updates here in v2.1:
  • Added methods to allow for a fully customised system to be defined (with multiple sites per planet/moon).
  • Moved Feudal States override code into a separate OXP.
  • Fixed missing semi-colon in shipdata.plist.
  • Switched ground control interface point to be a normal ship object (rather than a visual effect) to gain better compatibility with OXP's like Telescope.
  • Made the ground control interface points more visible.
  • Reduced the number of monkey patches required.
  • Made the maximum range at which the space compass will detect ground control interface points configurable via Library Config, and changed the default value to 200km.
  • Added some conflict oxps ("Planetary Systems" and "Moons" by stranger).
  • Improved compatibility with Market Inquirer.
  • Tweaked spawning methods to better reflect the original PlanetFall results, where OXP station roles are not added unless override flag is set.
  • Added a warning screen for players, informing them that ship maintenance services are only available on the planet.
  • Added a chance of a misjump when executing a witchspace jump inside the atmosphere.
  • Fixed issue where entering witchspace while the turbulence effect is still active would result in it staying active.
  • Fixed bug that was setting service level to the minimum value when launching from a planetary location.
  • Turbulence now doesn't end when speed is zero.
  • Added a config item to manage how much the service level of the player ship is reduced.
  • Added shipdata entries to allow for multiple military bases, leisure complexes, factories and dumps on the main planet in custom systems.
  • Fixed issues where NaN, NaN, Nan is calculated for a vector.
  • Log messages now controllable via a debug flag.
  • Removed some unused code.
phkb

Post by phkb »

hiran wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:05 am
Alter all I have landed the ship on something planet-like. Am now on 'Ceesxe: Mine'. As it seems the issued 'Low Altitude' warning was comparatively unimportant to the approach angle. But that is another topic.
You must have been approaching the ground control interface point from mostly directly overhead. You must now approach it at a shallower angle. imagine a plane landing at a normal runway - try to emulate that approach and you should be ok.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

!

I've been wondering about the gas planet of Zarece and its large orbital cities.

I'm presuming that if one can create these cities that this would be easily assimilable with PF v.2

On another red herring, it would be interesting, when this is out of beta, to have an idea as to how what proportion of time was spent programming the basic concept - and what proportion was spent fitting it in with other OXPs (Feudal States, Galactic Almanac, Telescope, etc.).
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:18 am
!

I've been wondering about the gas planet of Zarece and its large orbital cities.

I'm presuming that if one can create these cities that this would be easily assimilable with PF v.2
PlanetFall 2, and v1.51 as well, don’t create landing sites on gas giants. If the planet has been flagged as a gas giant, PlanetFall will do nothing.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Should PlanetFall Market Saver be added as another conflict OXP?

And what is the conflict with SW's "Planetary Systems" and "Moons"? The fact that they actually move in orbit?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:20 am
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:18 am
!

PlanetFall 2, and v1.51 as well, don’t create landing sites on gas giants. If the planet has been flagged as a gas giant, PlanetFall will do nothing.
So one would just create the cities as cities orbiting the planet within the atmosphere - and then dock with them normally?
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

And now I reached even some planetary factory. Nice graphics!

The approach is tedious, but that should be on purpose. :-)
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:16 am
hiran wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:05 am
You must have been approaching the ground control interface point from mostly directly overhead. You must now approach it at a shallower angle. imagine a plane landing at a normal runway - try to emulate that approach and you should be ok.
Makes sense, yet I'd like to have some indicator on the dashboard. With the ship buffeting around and on the night side of the planet some artificial horizon is priceless.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:24 am

And what is the conflict with SW's "Planetary Systems" and "Moons"? The fact that they actually move in orbit?
Probably is the answer for the first one.

For the SW ones, those OXP’s add planets and moons at an incompatible point in the system generation process. It’s way too much work to retrofit PF2 to work with those methods at the moment, and using those methods means saving your game on a planet wouldn’t work, so it kind of defeats the Number 1 primary reason I took on this OXP.

There certainly no reason why the methodology I’ve used in PF2 couldn’t be retrofitted onto PlanetLand. I’m just not up for it at the moment.
Last edited by phkb on Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:26 am
So one would just create the cities as cities orbiting the planet within the atmosphere - and then dock with them normally?
Ideally, yes. Although how far into the “atmosphere” they should be placed is a hand-wave for another OXP.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:31 am
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:24 am

Probably is the answer for the first one.

For the SW ones, those OXP’s add planets and moons at an incompatible point in the system generation process. It’s way too much work to retrofit PF2 to work with those methods at the moment, and using those methods means saving your game on a planet wouldn’t work, so it kind of defeats the Number 1 primary reason I took on this OXP.

There certainly no reason why the methodology I’ve used in PF2 couldn’t be retrofitted onto PlanetLand. I’m just not up for it at the moment.
?

But I've got the entire SW suite loaded (except for PlanetLand). And PF v.2.0... (not 2.1)

I landed on Digebiti just fine. And I saved my game. And I took off just fine!
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:54 am
?

But I've got the entire SW suite loaded (except for PlanetLand). And PF v.2.0... (not 2.1)

I landed on Digebiti just fine. And I saved my game. And I took off just fine!
You've got your joystick going? I am still on the keyboard only...