Aaron Aarts' Amazing Adventure

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Aaron Aarts' Amazing Adventure

Post by Wildeblood »

Because the ooniverse needs pictures of windmills. :lol:

Version 1.0.whatCouldPossiblyGoWrong:

https://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/d/d7/AAAA.oxz

Version 1.0.whatSemiColon:

https://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/a/ ... _aaron.oxz
Last edited by Wildeblood on Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Aaron Aarts' Amazing Adventure

Post by phkb »

Nice. Given the reference in the identifier, was that the source for the text?

Also, small bug fix: in missiontext.plist, the "aaaa_adventure_3" entry is missing a ";" at the end. Mac computers will likely get upset without it!
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

phkb wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:16 pm
Nice. Given the reference in the identifier, was that the source for the text?
Yes.
phkb wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:16 pm
Also, small bug fix: in missiontext.plist, the "aaaa_adventure_3" entry is missing a ";" at the end. Mac computers will likely get upset without it!
Well, given its intended audience - Cholly - that rather defeats the whole exercise. :roll:

So, here's a technical question: in the manifest.plist it says this, "download_url" = "aaaa_aaron.oxz", but I uploaded a file named AAAA.oxz. Does that sort of discrepancy cause a drama for Oolite?

Addendum: and when uploading again, with the filename "aaaa_aaron.oxz", the wiki has taken it upon itself to change that slightly, to "Aaaa_aaron.oxz".
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Wildeblood wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:04 am
in the manifest.plist it says this, "download_url" = "aaaa_aaron.oxz", but I uploaded a file named AAAA.oxz. Does that sort of discrepancy cause a drama for Oolite?
It shouldn't. I don't think the download url is used by the manifest scanner. It probably flags it as a discrepancy, but it shouldn't cause any errors.
Wildeblood wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:04 am
and when uploading again, with the filename "aaaa_aaron.oxz", the wiki has taken it upon itself to change that slightly, to "Aaaa_aaron.oxz".
Yep, that's the wiki. It should be fine referring to it with the lower case name (if you hover over the link you should see what it's created for the URL, which should be the correct filename.)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Downloaded the first edition and incorporated phkb's tweak. Investigations are ongoing. The "First Installment" has been perused.

But. Windmills? Not on my nellie!

Semaphore towers, old boy! They're what cousin Desmond has installed in the Dismal Desert to connect through to Lesser Walsingham. He might be able to do you a special deal if you wish to import them to Vetitice...

And he can also do you a really good deal on those tricorns for the signalmen. As long as there are no lobstoids anywhere in sight.

Reference: Third paragraph
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Wildeblood
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Wildeblood »

Well, I just dropped in that second file and started Oolite, and... Oolite puked and refused to load it, complaining that it "does not contain a valid manifest file". Huh? I changed the missiontext file, not the manifest file. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong, but seriously, the fragility of the OXZ format is off-putting.
Cholmondely wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:54 am
The "First Installment" has been perused.
When it says, come back tomorrow, you know that means game days, not Real Life(tm) days?

worldScripts["aaaa_aaron"].dayChanged()
"So anti-globalist, he's practically a flat-earther."
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Two points.

1) The text is really rather evocative. If you wrote it yourself, you have deeply impressed me!

2) Presuming that this is a response to my continual whinging about "exploration", I rather think that it buttresses my view about the need for there to be things to "discover" - With each windmill he visited, he uncovered new wonders and delights – from hidden passages leading to secret chambers, to breathtaking views of the countryside from high atop the spinning sails..

Things which need to be added into the vanilla game.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?