External Docking System

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: External Docking System

Post by phkb »

MrFlibble wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:38 am
From that, it all seems a bit random.
Oh, good! I love random!

Wait, no I don't.

Well, that's certainly weirder. I guess I need to look a little closer at what might be happening.

Quick question: You still flying the Warlance?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Did not get '<100' thing.
It's probably worth noting that a successful dock is not predicated on getting that message.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:45 am
Did not get '<100' thing.
It's probably worth noting that a successful dock is not predicated on getting that message.
It seems to be the 'tell' that I'll not bounce, and as such is the only symptom with any consistency. I've not failed when that message has been present, and not succeeded in it's absence.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:42 am
From that, it all seems a bit random.
Oh, good! I love random!

Wait, no I don't.

Well, that's certainly weirder. I guess I need to look a little closer at what might be happening.

Quick question: You still flying the Warlance?
Yes I am. I've tweaked it a bit (just textures).
phkb

Post by phkb »

MrFlibble wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:52 am
It seems to be the 'tell' that I'll not bounce, and as such is the only symptom with any consistency.
Which would mean that the external dock is either (a) not getting set up properly (but if the "adding external doc for" message is appearing in every log, that that's not true); or (b) something is happening to the external dock after it's been set up, either it's moving or getting removed. Hmm.
phkb

Post by phkb »

Can I get you to try something for me? When you have a space bar that hasn't reported the "<100" message, make sure it's your current target and enter the following into the console:

Code: Select all

PS.target._isMoving
And let me know what you get.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:27 am
Can I get you to try something for me? When you have a space bar that hasn't reported the "<100" message, make sure it's your current target and enter the following into the console:

PS.target._isMoving
And let me know what you get.

text = Ident system locked onto Lobbie's Can-Can Lounge.
> PS.target._isMoving
false
..that was a stubborn attempt. I then asked for clearance, but still didn't get the '<100'. Flew through the ball a few times, asked again, crashed with still no '<100'.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

In case you hadn't clocked it, I've installed the Galactic registry recently, but before I added external docking.

Could that be causing issues, since the name of the bar is not the same as the generic "a seedy space bar" used to set it up? It still would'nt explain why it works sometimes and not others.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

I turned on docking clearance protocol.

It worked without the '<100' three times.

I got the message on the fourth attempt.

On the fifth try I got clearance, with a time window, and despite being well within that window, failed to external dock, twice, with a bang on the second attempt..
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

MrFlibble wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:30 pm
On the fifth try I got clearance, with a time window, and despite being well within that window, failed to external dock, twice, with a bang on the second attempt..
Too much brandy?

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

MrFlibble wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:09 pm
I've installed the Galactic registry recently, but before I added external docking.
Should not have any bearing on external docking. Something else is happening, I fear.
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, new one to try. ExternalDockingSystem_1.5.oxz
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:53 pm
OK, new one to try. ExternalDockingSystem_1.5.oxz
I'll start with rapid testing from a save in flight just over 25k from the space bar, approaching having jumped into the system.

With "Docking Clearance Protocol" set to on.
Attempt 1: Approached without asking for clearance. Flew through the ball. Granted clearance. No "<100". Crashed through ball.
Attempt 2: Granted clearance. Got "<100". Success.
Attempt 3: Granted clearance from far out. Zoomed through the ball too fast. No "<100". Flew through the ball at 66. Granted clearance extension. Crashed.
Attempt 4: Granted clearance. No "<100". Crashed.

With "Docking Clearance Protocol" set to off.
Attempt 1: Seems Randomhits rolled a high probability. Flew through heavy fire, was informed clearance not required when I asked. Slowed to <100 as approaching dock. External docked safe.
Attempt 2: Did not ask for clearance. Flew through ball with no "<100". Asked for clearance "do not require". No "<100" as I crashed through the ball at <100.
Attempt 3: Thargoid destroyed on approach. No "<100". Flew through ball. Asked for clearance "do not require". Flew through ball. Scraped hull. Whoops. "press space".
Attempt 4:: Flew in from a greater angle at over 100. Got "<100". Flew through slow, near horizontal. OK.
Attempt 5: Thinking I might have learned something from attempt 4. Flew in at a steep angle. Pulled up before hitting the deck. No "<100". Went in vertical. Bounced 'through' the deck at 33, span round and looked up at the underside of the landing pad. Crashed slowly into the deck at a shallower angle. Seems hitting the deck head-on is safer than scraping it.

Now a less rapid test starting from a conventional save at a GalCop station one system away. Docking clearance protocol off.
Attempt 1: No "<100". Bang.
Attempt 2: As 1.
Attempt 3: Flew near ball too fast Got "<100". Went through shallow and docked safe.
Attempt 4: Flew through too fast. No "<100". Span round, went in slow and shallow. Bang.
Attempt 5: No "<100". Flew through ball at speed 6 and bounced. Targeted space bar. Crashed into landing deck at low speed.
Attempt 6: As 1.
Attempt 7: Flew high enough through ball at about 70 to not scrape hull. No "<100". Assumed this would not work, so docked at normal docking port to test another idea. Departed, flew slow to external dock, no "<100", docked safe. Left. Docked external again. Flew over 50k away, came back and docked ok. Figured there's probably a 100% chance of it working if starting from the space bar. Also tested trying to fly in too fast. Got the "<100" message and docked ok.

I tweaked save in flight to let me repeatedly test from just after departing station, really close to external dock, so close you need to be pressing 's' straight after hitting 1. As expected, the dice for RandomHits, asteroids etc. all get rolled again, and it seems so does the external dock glitch,with different odds. From a sample of 10 attempts, 5 were good, so the odds of this save succeeding are evens, noticeably higher than the roughly 4:1 in the other tests.

For a final fling, I jumped into the system, went straight to main station and saved. Flew twice to the space bar. First time got <100, ok. Second, no <100, bang. Still random.

My conclusions:

One thing which seems to be absolute here, is that if we see the "<100" message, something has already gone right, and external docking will succeed. I've not seen that message and failed to dock. Occasionally I've docked without being aware of it, but that may be because I've approached slowly enough to not trigger it. Where I could not invoke it, the external dock has always been hazardous.

I feel it's also reasonable to assume that departing the space bar, the external dock will work every time.

I hope you can see more in that lot than I could.
phkb

Post by phkb »

MrFlibble wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:55 pm
Yeah, I'm not seeing a pattern, other than the one we've already identified: If you don't get the "<100" message, it's a fail.

One more try:
ExternalDockingSystem_1.6.oxz
SpaceBarFacelift_1.6.oxz

I *think* I know what's going on, but we'll try this fix first before I go to the trouble of explaining what I did. Fingers-crossed.
MrFlibble
Deadly
Deadly

Post by MrFlibble »

phkb wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 11:46 pm
MrFlibble wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:55 pm
Yeah, I'm not seeing a pattern, other than the one we've already identified: If you don't get the "<100" message, it's a fail.

One more try:
ExternalDockingSystem_1.6.oxz
SpaceBarFacelift_1.6.oxz

I *think* I know what's going on, but we'll try this fix first before I go to the trouble of explaining what I did. Fingers-crossed.
I've given those a blast from each of my saves. Not a b0rk so far. What was it?