windows 11

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

scarle4
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

windows 11

Post by scarle4 »

Hi, I'm quite new to this forum. I was happy to realize that Oolite is a free downloadable game, but I was sorry to find out that Oolite won't run on Windows 11.
Undortunatelly the free download file is not running on my Windows 11 pc. Is there any suggestion?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: windows 11

Post by another_commander »

I'll let you know that I am happily running Oolite right now on Windows 11. Trust me, it does run on W11 beyond any shadow of doubt. Where did you download it from and what is the actual filename of the installer you got?

If the installer does not run for you, my best guess is interference from the antivirus. Try temporarily disabling it, running the installer and then re-enabling it.

Hope this helps.

Edit: If it installs but fails to run when launching the game executable, we will have to see the Latest.log file saved in <installation folder>\oolite.app\Logs.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Welcome to the friendliest bulletin board this side of Riedquat!

How did you find us?

Have you found the OoliteRS.pdf tucked away inside your download? And Mr Gimlet's advice?

And is there anything else we can help you with?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
scarle4
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by scarle4 »

Thank you BOTH for your prompt reply. I had bought the game ELITE for pc many years ago, and therefore I was asking for it. This is how I found Oolite.
I downloaded the game from https://oolite.space/#download
the version is Oolite-1.90_x64 of course for windows
when I try to run the downloaded file I get an NSIS error "Error launching installer"
please advice!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

scarle4 wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:57 am
I downloaded the game from https://oolite.space/#download
the version is Oolite-1.90_x64 of course for windows
when I try to run the downloaded file I get an NSIS error "Error launching installer"
please advice!
The installer has been verified to run on Windows 11 and in your case I suspect either:
- A corrupt download or
- Third party software interference (e.g. antivirus, download accelerators etc.).

I would recommend re-downloading the installer and trying again. Make sure to run the installer from a folder physically residing on your hard disk, not any dropbox, onedrive or other such cloud folders and, just to be on the safe side, that the folder name consists only of english characters and the path contains no spaces. If the installation fails, try disabling the antivirus temporarily, re-download and install, then re-enable the antivirus.

You can also try downloading and running a different installer with the latest and not yet officially published version 1.91 of the game. This can be found at https://github.com/OoliteProject/oolite ... fe-win.exe .
scarle4
Mostly Harmless
Mostly Harmless

Post by scarle4 »

Thanks! I managed to install the game. I simply had to move the installer to a different folder. Simple as that!