OoliteStarter

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: OoliteStarter

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:33 pm
Yeah, I double and triple checked the conflicts. As always, Fer-de-Lance 3G conflicts with Fer-de-Lance 3G. HUD Selector with Large HUD conflicts with Telescope v2, but does it really? I haven't noticed an issue. Those are the only two. I like that they cross-reference, though! A nice improvement over earlier versions.
That is special indeed. My guess is that the expansion might be installed twice - which still would just overwrite and not collide. Could you from OoliteStarter check the install directory? If they are different, provide them for download so I can take a closer look.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:35 pm
What is the yellow bar in the new interface? The About says yellow is "ready to download and install" but I don't think that's what it means on the new interface.

Are the Flavors supposed to have images to the left, or is it expected that the images are "broken" at the moment?
I am confused myself whether to keep or modify it. In general red shows problems while yellow shall emphasize.

Available:
Red means do not install, you would get conflicts
Yellow means do install as it would resolve missing libraries

Installed:
Red means there are conflicts or missing dependencies.
Yellow means do not uninstall as that would create missing dependencies

I especially dislike that yellow looks inconsistent despite my intent. Maybe we need other or more colors although I want to keep it easy. Input is welcome.

Flavors indeed do not work. Images are intended and broken. Functionality not yet implemented. I was experimenting with the data that is provided on the website to be rendered in the UI. If Cholmondely and you like the concept I'll flesh it out.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

With the new interface to install expansions I am not too happy with filtering and sorting. While the options are there I find myself always setting the options twice to keep the lists in sync. Also for search you first have to finish typing and click ok before you see any result. That single regex-capable line was more comfortable.

You may have missed that for syncing the expansions to the savegame you no longer have to leave the first tab. Just select one of the references and right-click to open the context menu. Should be more intuitive so I do not have to explain.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

hiran wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:57 am
With the new interface to install expansions I am not too happy with filtering and sorting. While the options are there I find myself always setting the options twice to keep the lists in sync. Also for search you first have to finish typing and click ok before you see any result. That single regex-capable line was more comfortable.
I think most users would be perfectly fine having to click OK after typing their search terms. That's how Google works.
You may have missed that for syncing the expansions to the savegame you no longer have to leave the first tab. Just select one of the references and right-click to open the context menu. Should be more intuitive so I do not have to explain.
I'll be honest I have no idea what you're talking about. Select one of which references?

Also, I've got a weird error on mine - the first tab is telling me that DTT Atlas 1.1 Paradox is not enabled but is required (required by what?). But then I go to the expansions tab and I can see clearly that it is enabled. And it's not a yellow-bar OXP. So presumably the "required" on tab 1 means that it's required by the save game? Either way, it's not right, because it is in fact installed and enabled. Seems like there's some minor corruption in the datafile.
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

If by "select one of the references" you mean select one of the OXPs with a red exclamation mark... does using the Install option on the contextual menu install *all* of the red exclamation mark OXPs? Or just that one? (And is it *installing* or installing and *enabling*? The language here may not really matter, just want to be sure.)
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

hiran wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:42 am
That is special indeed. My guess is that the expansion might be installed twice - which still would just overwrite and not collide. Could you from OoliteStarter check the install directory? If they are different, provide them for download so I can take a closer look.
Just checked, it's not duplicated. It's an OXP from the Expansion Manager called oolite.oxp.UK_Eliter.Ferdelance_3G

Here's the relevant section in the manifest:

"conflict_oxps" = (
{
"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.UK_Eliter.Ferdelance_3G";
"maximum_version" = "6.5";
"description" = "Please remove the earlier, OXP version of this expansion pack.";
},
{
"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.Ferdelance_3G";
"description" = "This expansion pack is an older version of the Fer-de-Lance 3G pack, and must be removed.";
}
);

It looks like Starter may not be detecting that the installed version is 6.6 in the conflict check. (It does recognize that the version installed is 6.63 in the list itself, it's just the conflict check that's making the error.)
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:33 pm
Just checked, it's not duplicated. It's an OXP from the Expansion Manager called oolite.oxp.UK_Eliter.Ferdelance_3G

Here's the relevant section in the manifest:

"conflict_oxps" = (
{
"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.UK_Eliter.Ferdelance_3G";
"maximum_version" = "6.5";
"description" = "Please remove the earlier, OXP version of this expansion pack.";
},
{
"identifier" = "oolite.oxp.Ferdelance_3G";
"description" = "This expansion pack is an older version of the Fer-de-Lance 3G pack, and must be removed.";
}
);

It looks like Starter may not be detecting that the installed version is 6.6 in the conflict check. (It does recognize that the version installed is 6.63 in the list itself, it's just the conflict check that's making the error.)
That could indeed be the case. I will check that condition. At least it explains why an expansion is marked as conflicting with itself.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:44 pm
arquebus wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:33 pm
That could indeed be the case. I will check that condition. At least it explains why an expansion is marked as conflicting with itself.
Confirmed. I found this issue and one more. A new prerelease should show more consistent colors now: v0.1.28-uxbridge.12
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 5:27 pm
If by "select one of the references" you mean select one of the OXPs with a red exclamation mark... does using the Install option on the contextual menu install *all* of the red exclamation mark OXPs? Or just that one? (And is it *installing* or installing and *enabling*? The language here may not really matter, just want to be sure.)
Hmmm, good question. My code reacts to the 'getSelectedValue' method which will return one selected row. But what if multiple were selected?
So currently only one gets installed, and we need to check the behaviour if multiple are installed.

When you install something, it is enabled by default. The current panel does not allow to disable/enable expansions to keep the usage simple. The functionality still exists though, in case we want to expand the UI for experienced users.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

If I'm understanding you correctly, the list of OXPs on the Start Game screen is the list of OXPs in the set assigned to the selected save. If there's an OXP with a red exclamation mark, it means it's not currently installed, and so the set is incomplete.

I think it might be better default behavior for there to be a way to "bulk" install all missing OXPs for that set. Maybe just a button, rather than a context menu, for that action. And then right-click for individual ones if the user wants to do that instead. But I don't see many use cases for the latter function.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:53 pm
If I'm understanding you correctly, the list of OXPs on the Start Game screen is the list of OXPs in the set assigned to the selected save. If there's an OXP with a red exclamation mark, it means it's not currently installed, and so the set is incomplete.

I think it might be better default behavior for there to be a way to "bulk" install all missing OXPs for that set. Maybe just a button, rather than a context menu, for that action. And then right-click for individual ones if the user wants to do that instead. But I don't see many use cases for the latter function.
Absolutely. When a game is saved the involved expansions are listed. This list is then shown when you select a savegame. If in the meantime you (un)installed expansions, OoliteStarter will point out that deviation but allows you to continue.

Currently it takes a lot of patience to get from vanilla to one of our savegames as you can install the expansions only one by one. I am happy there is a way at all but there is room for improvements.

The use case for adding/removing single expansions is the same as tweaking the game without restart. A user my decide to install an expansion and resume a savegame even if up to then the game was played without that expansion.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:26 pm
Currently it takes a lot of patience to get from vanilla to one of our savegames as you can install the expansions only one by one. I am happy there is a way at all but there is room for improvements.
There is a 'Fix...' button now that allows to install all missing expansions in one go. More comfortable.
Unfortunately no graphical indication about progress or completion.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

...and the next prerelease OoliteStarter v0.1.29-flavescent.1 can install flavors. Watch out, it is currently absolute.

Do we need ability to manage your own expansion sets again? Where in the UI would you expect it?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

I'll check it out!

I would put managing expansion sets on a separate tab, away from all the basic stuff.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:38 pm
I'll check it out!

I would put managing expansion sets on a separate tab, away from all the basic stuff.
That would be one option.

Currently I see two kinds of expansion sets:
Those that you create and use yourself - they are stored in the filesystem. And those that are centrally defined and thus hosted on the website - we call them flavour.

Choosing one and installing is so similar I think of keeping expansion sets and flavours together.