Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Oolite Flavours

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Oolite Flavours

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:50 pm
phkb wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:05 am
Well, I would argue it only *half* works with Oolite, as long as you only use OoliteStarter.

I think it's important that OoliteStarter not break anything in Oolite in how it operates. And here's the thing: there is no reason to actually put *anything* into the ManagedAddOns folder. If users have downloaded mods using the internal DM, then, sure, move them into the "Deactivated" folder if they choose to do so via OoliteStarter. But you can put *every single OXZ into the "AddOns" folder*, with versioning etc, and then Oolite will work fine. It won't try and do anything with OXZ's in that folder (or subfolders thereof). It won't automatically update them, but at this point the user is probably using OoliteStarter and it can handle the updates, so that's fine. If they choose to stop using OoliteStarter, Oolite will tell them an update is available, but it can't be performed because it's installed in AddOns. They could then either delete it and reinstall it (so it goes into ManagedAddOns), or manually update it themselves. Either way, nothing is broken, and it's a relatively straightforward process to explain to someone why their mods aren't auto-updating.

If you really need to have version numbers in the filename, then just don't use ManagedAddOns.
I raised this issue earlier. It's still having knock-on effects for me. Now, if I start the game from OoliteStarter and bypass the main menu etc., everything seems to work just fine. But if I start Oolite independently, I get massive red alert spam about duplicate OXPs, so much so that the menus are obliterated and I can't even see how to quit without Alt-F4'ing my way out.

Starter should absolutely not be tinkering with names etc. in such a way that launching Oolite independently completely breaks things. I cannot stress this enough. If filename changes are necessary for smooth operation of Starter's versioning feature, part of that feature should include renaming the OXP back to normal whenever it gets put into one of the active AddOn folders. It's already possible to get the version information from inside the manifest, there's no reason to be renaming things in the "live" directory. Leave that for storing copies outside of Oolite's field of vision.
So far the behaviour, even when using both expansion managers in parallel was looking 'consistent' to me. There were no unneeded red flags from my point of view.
Why should Oolite - when started manually - complain more about the OXPs than when started via OoliteStarter?

Hence I'd like to investigate on that effect. Could you help me reproduce the issue?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Not sure how relevant this might be but have a look at a few OLD POSTS of mine on the subject of renaming OXZs.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Nite Owl wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:02 pm
Not sure how relevant this might be but have a look at a few OLD POSTS of mine on the subject of renaming OXZs.
That is exactly what is happening. The file gets renamed by OoliteStarter but the content is untouched. Oolite works for me.
If you install newer versions of the same OXP the old one will be removed, so for Oolite there is only one version installed.

So I am wondering where the issues actually come from. I need a problematic setup that I can investigate on.

BTW, I'd prefer to separate discussions about OoliteStarter in viewtopic.php?t=21552 and keep this thread for the flavours.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Redspear wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:24 am
Would this be relevant?
Since I changed OoliteStarter's handling on flavours (they can be installed exclusively and additionally) it should be easier now to create additional flavours if so desired. Whoever wants to create them, I can write up the steps that need to be done.