Expansion packs download failed..

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

ihaveamo
Above Average
Above Average

Expansion packs download failed..

Post by ihaveamo »

Happening on all my versions - old, current, and nightly

End of latest.log:

18:55:29.069 [dataCache.notFound]: No data cache found, starting from scratch.
18:55:29.071 [searchPaths.dumpAll]: Resource paths:
Resources
../AddOns
../AddOns/org.oolite.hiran.OoliteStarter.oxp
18:55:29.255 [shipData.load.begin]: Loading ship data.
18:55:29.773 [startup.complete]: ========== Loading complete in 1.02 seconds. ==========
18:55:33.626 [plist.parse.failed]: Failed to parse M:\Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-download.plist as a property list.
Parse failed at line 1 (char 2) - unexpected character (wanted '>')
18:55:33.626 [oxz.manager.error]: Downloaded manifest was not a valid plist, has been left in M:\Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-download.plist
18:55:37.773 [exit.context]: Exiting: Exit Game selected on start screen.
18:55:37.776 [gameController.exitApp]: .GNUstepDefaults synchronized.

Closing log at 2023-10-07 18:55:37 +1000.

***********************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Contents of M:\Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/Caches/org.aegidian.oolite/Oolite-download.plist below:

<html>
<head><title>404 Not Found</title></head>
<body>
<center><h1>404 Not Found</h1></center>
<hr><center>nginx</center>
</body>
</html>
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Expansion packs download failed..

Post by hiran »

I am not surprised you see problems on old and current Oolite versions. Up to and including 1.90 they attempt to download from an outdated URL.

See https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21368

Do you perceive the same problem on nightly or OoliteStarter?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
ihaveamo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ihaveamo »

Thanks - got the latest nightly (OoliteInstall-1.91.0.c90ee13-dev.exe - Version 1.91.0.7504-231001-c90ee13) and it's now working fine.

Probably a good idea to tell casuals that the "Current" (non nigthly) 1.90 "Stable" version is now inoperable on the main oolite.space page or as a stickied forum post. Most new people will choose the "Stable" version , assume packs don't work, and then miss out on the best part of OOLITE :(

With oolite starter (Which is really another issue) -

The windows EXE installer looked like at first it did nothing - so I gave up on it - but then realised it had created an desktop icon and it was trying to hard-write itself to "C:\Program Files\OoliteStarter\OoliteStarter.exe" - This machine's C: is dedicated to OS only (I run oolite from M:) - if possible it would be better to give users the option to where it's being written to - I had written it off as not being installed!

The EXE installer version loads once realised where the runner exe had installed itself..

Oolite starter "Generic" version on windows throws "A java exception has occurred" running javaw -jar dist\OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.5.jar

Running with java instead of javaw to catch the error: (Also showing I an running the absolute latest java -version)

M:\oolite-source\OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.5-generic\OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.5>java -jar dist\OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.5.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: oolite/starter/MainFrame has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 61.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$100(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.misc.Launcher$AppClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.launcher.LauncherHelper.checkAndLoadMain(Unknown Source)

M:\oolite-source\OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.5-generic\OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.5>java -version
java version "1.8.0_381"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_381-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.381-b09, mixed mode)
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

ihaveamo wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:54 pm
Thanks - got the latest nightly (OoliteInstall-1.91.0.c90ee13-dev.exe - Version 1.91.0.7504-231001-c90ee13) and it's now working fine.
The issue may reoccur. Just imagine you use one of the older Oolite's Expansion Managers when it decides to download the latest list of expansions. That will fail, and the cache contains fresh but invalid data. The nightly version will have to overwrite that before you can install expansions again.

OoliteStarter is independent from that.
Probably a good idea to tell casuals that the "Current" (non nigthly) 1.90 "Stable" version is now inoperable on the main oolite.space page or as a stickied forum post. Most new people will choose the "Stable" version , assume packs don't work, and then miss out on the best part of OOLITE :(
You are asking for something that has happened. This thread has been pinned on all forums but apparently it was not enough.
With oolite starter (Which is really another issue) -

The windows EXE installer looked like at first it did nothing - so I gave up on it - but then realised it had created an desktop icon and it was trying to hard-write itself to "C:\Program Files\OoliteStarter\OoliteStarter.exe" - This machine's C: is dedicated to OS only (I run oolite from M:) - if possible it would be better to give users the option to where it's being written to - I had written it off as not being installed!

The EXE installer version loads once realised where the runner exe had installed itself..
That is valuable feedback. Thank you. :-)
Oolite starter "Generic" version on windows throws "A java exception has occurred" running javaw -jar dist\OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.5.jar

Running with java instead of javaw to catch the error: (Also showing I an running the absolute latest java -version)

M:\oolite-source\OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.5-generic\OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.5>java -jar dist\OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.5.jar
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: oolite/starter/MainFrame has been compiled by a more recent version of the Java Runtime (class file version 61.0), this version of the Java Runtime only recognizes class file versions up to 52.0
That exception proves you are not on the absolute latest versionof Java, I'm afraid.
M:\oolite-source\OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.5-generic\OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.5>java -version
java version "1.8.0_381"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_381-b09)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.381-b09, mixed mode)
And here we can see it clearly again: You are running the latest Java 1.8 (which is also known as Java 8 ). However, OoliteStarter is compiled and packaged on Java 17.
ihaveamo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ihaveamo »

You are asking for something that has happened. This thread has been pinned on all forums but apparently it was not enough.

Changing the front page of oolite.space would be best. I had a (non-it, elderly) friend attempt oolite the other day and he gave up which is a shame - was his favorite game on the c-64 back in the day . He wouldn't browse forums. He'd just click the big friendly download button on the front page of oolite.space ... going to 1.90.

So what's going on is there's no guaranteed link anywhere with a working oolite version. (Well working with expansions). You could be lucky with a nightly, or not.

And here we can see it clearly again: You are running the latest Java 1.8 (which is also known as Java 8 ). However, OoliteStarter is compiled and packaged on Java 17.

Aaah thanks - trap for newbies - going to Java.com gives a newly DATED java 8 version (July 2023) , but that's no good.

64-bit Java for Windows
Version 8 Update 381 (filesize: 62.63 MB) Why is Java 8 recommended?
Release date: July 18, 2023

But it's all via oracle now. Cheers. Been ages since I had to fiddle with java. Probably version 1 of minecraft or something :D

TL;DR - don't go to java.com - go to oracle.com :roll:

Appreciate the help - time to try out the oolite starter!
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

ihaveamo wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:51 am

Changing the front page of oolite.space would be best. I had a (non-it, elderly) friend attempt oolite the other day and he gave up which is a shame - was his favorite game on the c-64 back in the day . He wouldn't browse forums. He'd just click the big friendly download button on the front page of oolite.space ... going to 1.90.

So what's going on is there's no guaranteed link anywhere with a working oolite version. (Well working with expansions). You could be lucky with a nightly, or not.
Good point. Let' try to convince the community to do something about it.

But also let your friend know to either try again or ask for the money back. ;-)
ihaveamo wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:51 am
Aaah thanks - trap for newbies - going to Java.com gives a newly DATED java 8 version (July 2023) , but that's no good.

64-bit Java for Windows
Version 8 Update 381 (filesize: 62.63 MB) Why is Java 8 recommended?
Release date: July 18, 2023

But it's all via oracle now. Cheers. Been ages since I had to fiddle with java. Probably version 1 of minecraft or something :D
This could be your source for Java Downloads: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/java/openjdk/download

But you can also go with the packaged version of OoliteStarter. I changed a little on the installer so it 'should' now ask for the install directory.
Can't test it myself though, so I am happy to read your experience.
ihaveamo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ihaveamo »

Looking good with the path choice addition! Well done :) Using OoliteStarter-0.1.21-elul.6-Windows.exe

Issues - "Browse" buttons take about 2 minutes to respond , then locks up with no response for another 3 minutes "Select oolite home directory" pane, then crashes. Possibly due to me having 10 drive letters?

Filling out all the paths by hand never populates the oolite EXE "version"

Allowing your tool to "Scan" does work, but considering my game is on M:, I allowed the scan to run for about 10 hours and it hadn't got off C: yet (10 drives, as I said before)

Maybe allow the user to choose a drive letter to scan, instead of just starting on C:?

I moved my 1.91 onto c:, allowed your app to scan for it, then it works.

Interestingly, the file browse windows for the "activate" and "import" work beautifully and instantly, just not the "browse" buttons when filling out the oolite paths for different oolite instances.

It's a badly needed tool! - I've wasted so much time in the past building up my favorite oolite additions from scratch a few times... (did get better at hand-moving stuff between versions eventually, but your tool is far superior!)
ihaveamo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ihaveamo »

ps: "Working on it" and "What are you waiting for kiddo?" both don't disappear after activating a new expansion set. You can hand-close them..
ihaveamo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ihaveamo »

"Waiting on process to complete" never closes if oolite crashes. (or you kill the process)

PS - instead of wasting peoples time with these forum posts, i'll do the right thing and start adding stuff as possible issues on the git repo :D
ihaveamo
Above Average
Above Average

Post by ihaveamo »

one last one..

so if oolitestarter closed, and I manually move stuff onto my new oolite instance - aka:

OXps in C:\Oolite\AddOns

OXZs in C:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddOns

then I re open oolitestarter, will everything show properly?
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

ihaveamo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:30 am
will everything show properly?
Theoretically, all things being equal, yes.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

ihaveamo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:30 am
one last one..

so if oolitestarter closed, and I manually move stuff onto my new oolite instance - aka:

OXps in C:\Oolite\AddOns

OXZs in C:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddOns

then I re open oolitestarter, will everything show properly?
OoliteStarter scans the configured directories
- on startup (we do not know the status otherwise)
- after Oolite terminates (the in game manager may have changed something)
- whenever you hit the reload buttun (you may modify the OXPs manually, too)

So what you are asking is well in the known area. 🙂
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

ihaveamo wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 10:01 am
Issues - "Browse" buttons take about 2 minutes to respond , then locks up with no response for another 3 minutes "Select oolite home directory" pane, then crashes. Possibly due to me having 10 drive letters?
Could you let me have the logfile? It is in $HOME/.Oolite/Logs
Filling out all the paths by hand never populates the oolite EXE "version"
If you do it by hand, the tool assumes you know what you are doing. Which means you'd have to populate the version as well.
Allowing your tool to "Scan" does work, but considering my game is on M:, I allowed the scan to run for about 10 hours and it hadn't got off C: yet (10 drives, as I said before)

Maybe allow the user to choose a drive letter to scan, instead of just starting on C:?

I moved my 1.91 onto c:, allowed your app to scan for it, then it works.
You seem to have a special setup. Although I believe not just the amount of drive letters may be a problem. Having huge directory structures also adds to the time to scan.
Maybe it is worth to guess good starting points. @Windows users: What would be a good way to find out where Oolite was installed?
Interestingly, the file browse windows for the "activate" and "import" work beautifully and instantly, just not the "browse" buttons when filling out the oolite paths for different oolite instances.
That might be a good hint. I will try something...
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

hiran wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:52 pm
@Windows users: What would be a good way to find out where Oolite was installed?
One option is the where command, which finds the location of files on disk. But I am not sure how good a way this is, because it takes a while to complete if you start its scan from the root drive folder (e.g. where /r c:\ oolite.exe).
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 7:38 am
hiran wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:52 pm
@Windows users: What would be a good way to find out where Oolite was installed?
One option is the where command, which finds the location of files on disk. But I am not sure how good a way this is, because it takes a while to complete if you start its scan from the root drive folder (e.g. where /r c:\ oolite.exe).
Scanning the disk would be no difference to what OoliteStarter is doing anyway (and what is considered too slow in this case).
I was more thinking of a registry entry. Or whatever the 'installed apps' list in Windows is.