Oolite 1.91 sporadically freezes

For discussion of ports to POSIX based systems, especially using GNUStep.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Oolite 1.91 sporadically freezes

Post by hiran »

It has happened several times meanwhile, and I do not recall having such freezes weeks or months ago.
Thus my gut feeling it is related to recent changes, but then 1.90 has been out for three years and I started using 1.91 a few weeks ago.

So eventually, in the middle of a dogfight nothing happens - the application is frozen. Not completely though - while no mouse or keyboard events are processed, the window still reacts meaningful to resize events. I believe the repaint method is still operational.

What could I look at? There seems no meaningful stuff on stdout/stderr or in Latest.log.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Oolite 1.91 sporadically freezes

Post by phkb »

You might be able to turn on more things in logcontrol.plist that might help. If you have the console active, you could also try querying various things after it freezes to see if you get any response.

But yeah, without a clear error message to diagnose, we’re kind of operating in the dark.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Oolite 1.91 sporadically freezes

Post by hiran »

phkb wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:37 am
You might be able to turn on more things in logcontrol.plist that might help. If you have the console active, you could also try querying various things after it freezes to see if you get any response.

But yeah, without a clear error message to diagnose, we’re kind of operating in the dark.
Even worse I have no clue what to change so I can deliver more insight. Seems I have to accept that behaviour?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite