Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

How to install expansion packs and all the files?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

sirio
Poor
Poor

How to install expansion packs and all the files?

Post by sirio »

Hi my name is Sirio.
I met oolite some time ago and I really enjoyed it. After years I come back to play but I have a problem.
Before writing I wanted to tell you that I know that in other parts of the forum there is the solution to my problem but I can't find it. I've read other things but I really don't understand anything about it. I have so much confusion.
So I write the thread here even though I know I'm not the only one. I really don't want to repeat a thread but I have no other choice.
Once installed I decide to install the expansions from the menu download manager. I can not download.
it tells me as if the list is unknown.
I downloaded the oxz files. If I understand correctly the oxz files are the ones to install. Whereas the oxp files are the obsolete ones, right?
Can anyone tell me the step by step procedure on how to install add-ons?
I tried to put the oxp and also oxz files in the addons folder: nothing.
It always gives me error. it tells me that the oxz list is unknown of unknown.
It tells me to go read the latest.log file but I can't understand anything.
What should I do? I have the 64 bit version of oolite for windows. I have windows 10.
I installed the game from the website of: https://oolite.space/
i hope it's the latest version.
Thank you in advance for any help possible.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: How to install expansion packs and all the files?

Post by another_commander »

Hi and welcome, the issue you have is because the game cannot communicate with the oolite.org website. We lost that domain a few months ago and in order to download expansions using the in-game manager you now have two options:

1. Follow the instructions in the sticky post at the top of each sub-forum of this board. Click here to be taken to the post, The fix is a very simple text edit of the game's preferences file.

2. Download the latest 1.91 development version from here. This has been updated to look for the expansions list on our new domain, www.oolite.space and works out of the box without editing anything. It's also a much newer and better version than the last official one.

Hope this helps.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:57 pm
Hi and welcome, the issue you have is because the game cannot communicate with the oolite.org website. We lost that domain a few months ago and in order to download expansions using the in-game manager you now have two options:

1. Follow the instructions in the sticky post at the top of each sub-forum of this board. Click here to be taken to the post, The fix is a very simple text edit of the game's preferences file.

2. Download the latest 1.91 development version from here. This has been updated to look for the expansions list on our new domain, www.oolite.space and works out of the box without editing anything. It's also a much newer and better version than the last official one.

Hope this helps.
3. Instead of the in-game expansion manager use an external one. OoliteStarter is announced in the news section on the top right of the project homepage https://oolite.space/ (only since a few hours). OoliteStarter can be found at https://github.com/HiranChaudhuri/Oolit ... r/releases
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Welcome aboard, Commander! Any questions, just ask - there's usually someone who can answer them.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
sirio
Poor
Poor

Post by sirio »

I really thank you.
I want to ask one more thing.
How do I update OOlite?
For example if I use the stable version, how do I update it?
And if I update it: do I lose all expansions?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

sirio wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 10:07 pm
I really thank you.
I want to ask one more thing.
How do I update OOlite?
For example if I use the stable version, how do I update it?
And if I update it: do I lose all expansions?
The current stable version is 1.90.

The various "nightlies" are accessed through the bottom of the downloads page on Oolite.space - or from our Github site - they may have teething problems, but at least the Expansions Manager works properly!

You do not lose the expansions, but may need to transfer them between folders. Hiran's Oolite Starter can help with this, once both versions of Oolite have been configured.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?