(Release) Vimana-X HUD

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: (Release) Vimana-X HUD

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:05 am
For your next version (whenever it comes) might there be a chance of including a small tweak to the IronHide armour readout which I currently get to 613 decimal places!
Can you try this tweak for me:

In the "VimanaX_HUD.js" file, on line 3100, can you change it from this:

Code: Select all

p.setCustomHUDDial("VimanaX_FArmour", missionVariables.ironHide_percentage + "%");
To this:

p.setCustomHUDDial("VimanaX_FArmour", missionVariables.ironHide_percentage.toFixed(0) + "%");
And see if that sorts out the run away decimal place issue? If so, I'll put it into the next release.
phkb

Post by phkb »

I've taken on board Redspear's comments about the most important piece of information on the circular gauges, and I'm playing around with this:

So, as you can see, for the energy, and front/aft shields, the gauge display is going the other way, so when it's low, the segments are the larger ones. (I've also applied it to Altitude, and Front/Aft Armour, although those gauges aren't shown).

Nothing is set in stone, and it there's a big pushback I could potentially make it an "opt-in" kind of thing. But I'm interested to hear comments.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 12:54 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:05 am
For your next version (whenever it comes) might there be a chance of including a small tweak to the IronHide armour readout which I currently get to 613 decimal places!
Can you try this tweak for me:

In the "VimanaX_HUD.js" file, on line 3100, can you change it from this:

p.setCustomHUDDial("VimanaX_FArmour", missionVariables.ironHide_percentage + "%");
To this:

p.setCustomHUDDial("VimanaX_FArmour", missionVariables.ironHide_percentage.toFixed(0) + "%");
And see if that sorts out the run away decimal place issue? If so, I'll put it into the next release.
This tweak seems to work just fine (despite using it on my older version 1.5 of Vimana-X). Thank you!

phkb wrote: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:28 pm
I've taken on board Redspear's comments about the most important piece of information on the circular gauges, and I'm playing around with this:

So, as you can see, for the energy, and front/aft shields, the gauge display is going the other way, so when it's low, the segments are the larger ones. (I've also applied it to Altitude, and Front/Aft Armour, although those gauges aren't shown).

Nothing is set in stone, and it there's a big pushback I could potentially make it an "opt-in" kind of thing. But I'm interested to hear comments.

Perfectly happy with what is there at the moment, and doubt I'll be upset with your changes either.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Version 1.7 of Vimana-X HUD has been released. I was planning on keeping this on the boil for a bit longer because of the changes to dials, but I found a fairly major issue for users who *aren't* using something like "Here Be Dragons" - in that instance, none of the travel information would display correctly in the travel mod.

Here's the full list of changes.
  • Fixed issue where route information was not showing in left side panel unless a system map concealment OXP was active and systems had been revealed.
  • Switched gauges for Alt, Energy, Front/Aft Shield, and Front/Aft Armour to have biggest dial segment for the smallest (and most critical) value.
  • Fixed issue where Ironhide armour percentage could have excessive decimal points.
  • Made flashing warning labels stay on screen for longer for better readability.
  • Fixed issue preventing Shield Cycler icons from appearing.
  • Removed incompatibility settings with Shield Cycler.
  • Switched alerting function calculation of altitude to use Combat MFD's calculation, rather than doing it again.
  • Linked up colour of the Manual Witchspace Alignment jump beacon to match UI colours.
  • Some code refactoring.
I'd be interested in feedback on the changes to dials. Do they draw more attention to themselves at low (critical) values?
threepe
Competent
Competent

Post by threepe »

I've just started to use this HUD.

Its incredible, looks so much better than the standard item. Its clear that a huge amount of work has gone into this, and I apprecaite everyone who has had ther input.

I have just started to play around with different HUDs, so I am not entirely sure if what I may percieve as a big is actually one.

The speed dial does not increase when I use injectors. I cannot tell the different in speed between normal max and injected speed. I can see when I press J the speed increases dramatically, so perhaps when on injectors it should read a higher number?

The only other comment I have is that during combat the speed indicator is not very prominent. For me, speed is one of the most important elements of combat and not having it in the upper HUD at all, and only having it in a small dial well away from what I am looking at does causes me a few issues.

Never seen a better HUD, really thankful for all the time everyone has put into this.
phkb

Post by phkb »

threepe wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:16 pm
The speed dial does not increase when I use injectors.
Yep, that one is on me! I had an update to the Combat MFD which I hadn't pushed out that should fix that issue. Should be in the expansion list in a few minutes. But if you want to download it before the list is updated, here's the link: CombatMFD-1.17.oxz.

As for the speed in the upper area, I'll see what I can do.
phkb

Post by phkb »

threepe wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 9:16 pm
The only other comment I have is that during combat the speed indicator is not very prominent. For me, speed is one of the most important elements of combat and not having it in the upper HUD at all, and only having it in a small dial well away from what I am looking at does causes me a few issues.
What do we think of this?

threepe
Competent
Competent

Post by threepe »

I never cease to be impressed by those who frequent these forums.

Thanks for the bug tweak, I will wait for it to come through the expansion manager to test it this evening during my latest parcel run.

The speed in the HUD looks good, should allow me to keep my eyes on target while knowing how fast I am going. Thank you.
phkb

Post by phkb »

threepe wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 9:07 am
I never cease to be impressed by those who frequent these forums.

Thanks for the bug tweak, I will wait for it to come through the expansion manager to test it this evening during my latest parcel run.

The speed in the HUD looks good, should allow me to keep my eyes on target while knowing how fast I am going. Thank you.
Cool! I’ll get an update for the HUD out a bit later tonight as well.
phkb

Post by phkb »

OK, version 1.8 is out (or will be shortly when the catalog rebuilds). Ship speed added to combat crosshairs, and a few extra ship images.
awalkershaw
Average
Average

Post by awalkershaw »

Providing some feedback. Having installed the Vimana-X HUD there seems to be an issue when you encounter a Thargoid Satellite when first entering a system. When you engage a lock the ship response becomes very slow and jumpy. All other encounters are perfectly fine. Selecting any other HUD does not have the same issue.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

awalkershaw wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 6:30 pm
Providing some feedback. Having installed the Vimana-X HUD there seems to be an issue when you encounter a Thargoid Satellite when first entering a system. When you engage a lock the ship response becomes very slow and jumpy. All other encounters are perfectly fine. Selecting any other HUD does not have the same issue.
Welcome!

What is a "Thargoid Satellite"? Something from an oxp such as Thargoid Wars?

And by "engage a lock" do you mean targeting using SniperLock?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
phkb

Post by phkb »

Welcome to the friendliest place this side of Riedquat!

That sounds like I’ve got a spelling mistake in one of the target images. If you have a look in your latest.log file it will probably have a bunch of error messages in it. If I can’t track down the issue first, it would be super helpful to get a look at those error messages.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:14 pm
Welcome!

What is a "Thargoid Satellite"? Something from an oxp such as Thargoid Wars?

And by "engage a lock" do you mean targeting using SniperLock?
Maybe he is referring to https://ooliteproject.github.io/oolite- ... llite.html, which is based on https://ooliteproject.github.io/oolite- ... llite.html ?
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
phkb

Post by phkb »

Hey! I win! I got there first! Yay!

Version 1.9 has been released which fixes a few errors with the ship images.
  • Fixed issue with docked HUD not showing hyperspace destination unless a system map concealment OXP was active and systems had been revealed.
  • Added docked HUD amber mode, which is auto-selected if XenonUI is active and has it's amber mode turned on.
  • Fixed a number of errors with ship images (missing files, mis-named files and incorrect lookups).