Dark mode

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Dark mode

Post by another_commander »

There is an ongoing test on a new branch on github for the Windows port. We can now honor the personalization dark / light color mode setting on Windows. This means that Oolite respects the user's preferences better and can adjust its appearance according to whether it is running on light or dark mode. You will not notice a difference if you are playing in full screen of course, but those who prefer playing in a window (esp. in a dark mode setting) will immediately notice how much more relaxing.the whole experience is.

All apps by default and for compatibility reasons render their windows in light mode, but I just couldn't get over having Oolite with a blazing white title bar sitting in the middle of my screen while the rest of my desktop was nice and dark, so I thought I'd better do something about it and the result is quite nice, if I may say so. A pull request is being prepared, but in the meantime, for those who use dark mode, play in a window often and would rather take care of their eyesight, the auto-build artifact generated from github can be downloaded from here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MJJaGu ... sp=sharing

If your system is in light mode, then of course everything will look as it always has. There should be no visible change there, since Oolite has always rendered in light mode till now.

The feature is Windows-only at this time. Please check and let me know if you discover something amiss. This will probably be merged into master after phkb's galactic hyperspace stuff.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Dark mode

Post by Redspear »

another_commander wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:07 pm
I just couldn't get over having Oolite with a blazing white title bar sitting in the middle of my screen while the rest of my desktop was nice and dark
The very reason I never ran it in a window under normal circumstances.

Looks much better in your picture. A nice addition :? :arrow: :D
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

another_commander wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:07 pm
There is an ongoing test on a new branch on github for the Windows port. We can now honor the personalization dark / light color mode setting on Windows. This means that Oolite respects the user's preferences better and can adjust its appearance according to whether it is running on light or dark mode. You will not notice a difference if you are playing in full screen of course, but those who prefer playing in a window (esp. in a dark mode setting) will immediately notice how much more relaxing.the whole experience is.
I just checked Ubuntu 22 LTS. Same issue here:
While e.g. the Terminal always comes with dark title bar, Oolite always comes with a bright title bar.
Regardless of the desktop settings.

Nautilus (the file explorer equivalent) adapts to the chosen theme, so somehow it is possible.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Just a quick note to say that in the same PR I sneaked in a small change of the default game window size. Instead of 800x600, we now default to 1024x576 (16:9 aspect ratio). Bye bye 4:3, you served as well all these years but it's time to move on.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

PR merged. The latest nightly from github contains the dark mode feature, as well as phkb's scripted galactic jump.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

I'm loving dark mode! Very nice!