Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Enable Oolite development (2)

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Re: Enable Oolite development (2)

Post by hiran »

The latest prerelease should already be able to export and import expansion sets.
While it has worked for me, please use with care and backup your expansions folder if you feel it is important.

https://github.com/HiranChaudhuri/Oolit ... sion-set.3
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Mighty, Magnificent and Magnanimous Master of the Minutiae of the Megabytes:

It worked!

1) With only "Eustace the Strict" in my AppleMac Documents folder, I found all of the details of his saved game (but with a "strict game", there are of course no OXPs).

2) "Fotheringay II (Ensoreus)" opened cleanly without demur on the befuddlingly-bug-ridden Oolite 1.91 - ha! :mrgreen:

But.

•The OXPs in the AddOns folder seem to be still not included. I currently have 246 OXZ in my Managed AddOns and another 192 OXPs in my AddOns.
•I'm unsure how it works. Might there be need for a "refresh" button for enumeration of the Start Game/Save Games and for the Expansions (just in case I start meddling with the various folders' contents whilst your OoliteStarter is up and running)?
•And maybe a counter for the number of OXPs and the number of saved games? (a possibly useful reference?)
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2023 12:34 am
Mighty, Magnificent and Magnanimous Master of the Minutiae of the Megabytes:

It worked!

1) With only "Eustace the Strict" in my AppleMac Documents folder, I found all of the details of his saved game (but with a "strict game", there are of course no OXPs).

2) "Fotheringay II (Ensoreus)" opened cleanly without demur on the befuddlingly-bug-ridden Oolite 1.91 - ha! :mrgreen:
Great! That pinpoints the problem we perceived to one of the expanions, not Oolite itself. I am wondering however why my code complains about this character and Oolite does not. I changed the code to at least not bother too much. New builds will be more resilient in this matter.
But.

•The OXPs in the AddOns folder seem to be still not included. I currently have 246 OXZ in my Managed AddOns and another 192 OXPs in my AddOns.
•I'm unsure how it works. Might there be need for a "refresh" button for enumeration of the Start Game/Save Games and for the Expansions (just in case I start meddling with the various folders' contents whilst your OoliteStarter is up and running)?
•And maybe a counter for the number of OXPs and the number of saved games? (a possibly useful reference?)
I agree. Currently you can only configure the Managed Addons folder - the other one is taken from hardcoded values. Obviously wrong. I will change that. Also a reload button and the number of OXPs should not be too difficult to add.

Stay tuned, and maybe in the meantime you want to try the latest build where I am trying to resolve dependencies:
One OXP has required_oxps, conflict_oxps and optional_oxps. While taking a closer look I can see problems popping up. To have an overall list of such problems I am also tuning the OoliteAddonScanner, which creates the Index of Artifacts.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

A couple things to note, hiran:

1) The readme says you need Java 17 or newer. That's not as clear as it could be. It should be the Java SDK 17 or newer. Java itself is at version 8.

2) The readme mentions oolite-starter.example.properties, which doesn't exist; the file is configuration.example.properties. So does it need to be copied to oolite-starter.properties or configuration.properties?

3) The properties file is vague about how files/directories should be listed. For example, oolite.addons.activated.dir=active

Should this be replaced with

oolite.addons.activated.dir=ManagedAddOns

or

oolite.addons.activated.dir=GNUStep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddOns

or (in my case)

oolite.addons.activated.dir=C:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddOns
Here is my YouTube channel, where I play poorly: Arquebus X
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:22 am
A couple things to note, hiran:
I guess you are referring to the latest release Oolitestarter v0.1.4.
One of the issues was already addressed in a prerelease.

Points taken and applied. The fix should be effective starting Oolite Starter v0.1.5-dependency.3.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

I am trying to add dependency checks to the OoliteStarter. It shall verify/notify that all required OXPs are available but no conflicting OXPs are present. While doing so I noticed a lot of discrepancies in the expansion manager list and the expansions.

So here is my request to all: Please help cleanup these discrepancies.

A list of what needs to be looked at is automatically created by the OoliteAddonScanner, which downloads them all and creates an easy to read HTML index. You do not have to run that tool yourself, Github is doing that for us. So either download a release of the code, or download the already processed index file from https://github.com/HiranChaudhuri/Oolit ... r/releases.

In the generated index you find a file warnings.html. Opened inside a browser you could quickly see what is wrong. The other file wiki.txt is the content of https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Index_of_artefacts.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

hiran wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:49 am
I was running 0.1.5-dependency.2 so the readme was the same for that one, I think. I'll download dependency.3 and tinker with it later today. Thanks! I shout out the project in today's Oolite video.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 2:13 pm
hiran wrote: Sat Jun 03, 2023 6:49 am
I was running 0.1.5-dependency.2 so the readme was the same for that one, I think. I'll download dependency.3 and tinker with it later today. Thanks! I shout out the project in today's Oolite video.
Ummm, my bad. I had renamed the file in the source repository but ignored that the build process was instructed to place it as configuration.example.properties. Should have checked the archive... So let's check the next build v0.1.5-dependency.4.
BTW, @Cholmondely: This version should allow you to configure several addons folders in the properties file so you can continue testing as well.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

Running 0.15 on Windows, it's not recognizing my deactivated AddOns folder -

"Directory for deactivated expansions C:OoliteAddOnsInactive not found"

The directory on my system is

C:\Oolite\AddOnsInactive

So it looks like the program is stripping the \

And if I comment out the line the program looks for a directory that does not exist - it's looking for

C:\Users\<username>\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\DisabledAddOns

(I would expect it to failback to a directory next to the one specified for the addons directory earlier in the config file)
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:15 pm
Running 0.15 on Windows, it's not recognizing my deactivated AddOns folder -

"Directory for deactivated expansions C:OoliteAddOnsInactive not found"

The directory on my system is

C:\Oolite\AddOnsInactive

So it looks like the program is stripping the \
You ran into the same pitfall as so many other Windows/Java users. The solution is to either use forward slashes or duplicate backslashes.

- https://stackoverflow.com/questions/578 ... -backslash
- https://stackoverflow.com/questions/288 ... rties-file

We can improve the behaviour, although I'd like to focus on other parts first as it is a one-time effort to get this right.

arquebus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 7:15 pm
And if I comment out the line the program looks for a directory that does not exist - it's looking for

C:\Users\<username>\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\DisabledAddOns

(I would expect it to failback to a directory next to the one specified for the addons directory earlier in the config file)
While we may discuss about reasonable defaults, I think of a setup wizard that could autodetect the necessary files. Then both this and the above issue would be fixed within the application.
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

The weird thing is that the problem *only* occurs with the deactivated expansions directory path. The other ones pass the test, that's the only one that fails.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

arquebus wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:23 pm
The weird thing is that the problem *only* occurs with the deactivated expansions directory path. The other ones pass the test, that's the only one that fails.
This is strange indeed. Could you send me the full properties file somehow? I'd like to take a look.

In parallel I am working on native packages (deb, exe, dmg). Here's a different problem:
When installing the debian package, there is no sample.properties that you could copy and edit. You just startup the application and it fails.
So thinking about alternatives anyway...
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

hiran wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:30 pm
In parallel I am working on native packages (deb, exe, dmg). Here's a different problem:
When installing the debian package, there is no sample.properties that you could copy and edit. You just startup the application and it fails.
So thinking about alternatives anyway...
The next release Oolite Starter v0.1.6 comes with native packages.
That is, for Linux you can now download a Debian Package (deb), for MacOs an application bundle (dmg) and for Windows there should be an installer (exe).

Watch out: I can only test the debian package, so both Windows and MacOS are blind guesses. I'd be glad if someone could validate and confirm they are usable at all.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Just downloaded the latest. When I clicked on the .dmg I got this:
"OoliteStarter" is damaged and can't be opened. You should eject the disk image.

This item is on the disk image “OoliteStarter-1.0.dmg”. Waterfox downloaded this disk image today at 17:37 from github.com.

When I clicked on the ? icon I got this:
The app has been modified or damaged

The app has been modified, and its code does not match the original signed code. The app may be broken or corrupted, or it may have been tampered with. If you think that an app has been damaged or tampered with, you should delete it by dragging it to the Trash.

Some apps and tools, such as AppleScript or JavaScript applications and some legacy tools, modify themselves after signing. These types of apps cannot be opened unless you override the security settings on your Mac. See Open an app by overriding security settings.

To learn how to protect your Mac from harmful software, see Protect your Mac from malware.

See also
Change Security & Privacy General preferences on Mac
Console gave me this under the "System Log" heading:
Jun 6 18:43:37 ....-MacBook-Air com.apple.xpc.launchd[1] (com.apple.xpc.launchd.oneshot.0x1000002c.OoliteStarter[28313]): removing service since it exited with consistent failure - OS_REASON_EXEC | Gatekeeper policy blocked execution
I also tried launching it with the control key held down (needed to open alien programmes) with identical results.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
arquebus
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by arquebus »

hiran wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 9:30 pm
This is strange indeed. Could you send me the full properties file somehow? I'd like to take a look.
Here's the whole thing, unchanged (still using backslashes). As noted, the only error thrown is the path to the inactive addons.

# Rename this example file to configuration.properties
# If Oolite Start cannot find it in it's current working directory,
# use the system property 'oolite.starter.configuration' to point to your
# configuration file.

# Windows Users:
#
# When adding your paths, please be aware that the backslash is an escape
# character. Some paths may be treated differently than you expect. To be safe,
# either use forward slashes or duplicate the backslashes. Example:
# oolite.addons.activated.dir=C:\\Oolite\\oolite.app\\GNUstep\\Library\\ApplicationSupport\\Oolite/ManagedAddOns
# oolite.addons.activated.dir=C:/Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns

# Specify which executable is to be invoked to startup Oolite. In Windows, this
# may be oolite.exe, in Linux it is wiser to choose oolite-wrapper.sh.
oolite.executable=C:\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite.exe

# Specify where on disk your savegames are stored
oolite.savegames.dir=C:\Oolite\oolite.app\oolite-saves

# Specify where on disk Oolite stores it's expansions. It may be wise to choose
# the directory where the builtin expansions manager will store all the
# expansions. This will be the directory where installed or enabled expansions
# will be dropped.
#
# Example for Windows:
# oolite.addons.activated.dir=C:/Oolite/oolite.app/GNUstep/Library/ApplicationSupport/Oolite/ManagedAddOns
oolite.addons.activated.dir=C:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddOns

# In case your Oolite also looks at expansions in other directories and the
# OoliteStarter should also repect them, list then with this setting. While
# here never expansions will get installed, it may be important to check if
# something exists or deactivate it if need be.
#
# Several directories can be listed; they just have to be separated depending on
# your operating system. It would be a colon in Linux and a semicolon in Windows.
# activated dir
# Example for Linux:
# oolite.addons.additional_dirs=/home/user/GNUstep/Applications/Oolite/AddOns:/opt/Oolite/AddOns
oolite.addons.additional_dirs=C:\Oolite\AddOns

# Specify where on disk expansions shall be hidden from Oolite.
# So every expansion you deactivate will be moved to this folder.
#
# Example for Windows:
# oolite.addons.activated.dir=C:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\DisabledAddOns
oolite.addons.deactivated.dir=C:\Oolite\AddOnsInactive