Brightened up lasers test

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Brightened up lasers test

Post by another_commander »

I would appreciate opinions on the brightening up of lasers, implemented in nightly build 9120f56. Please disregard the two snaps I posted yesterday in the screenshot thread, as there have been some further improvements in the overall appearance. Since the subject is highly dependent on personal tastes, I think i'd gather some opinions here. Do you like the way it looks?? Do you think it's too much? Too little? Keep it or revert it?

Example shot here (if you can please make sure to view the .hdr version of the image):

And here is a comparison shot. Left as it was before, right as it is now.

And some thargoid lasers for good measure (.hdr file here):
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Brightened up lasers test

Post by Cody »

It seems I can open .hdr pics in GIMP. As someone who uses a green laser, I think that needs to be a tad darker. The brightness looks fine though. As it does in the Cobra pic - but is that edging towards magenta? Or is it my poor old MkI eyeballs?

I have no way to run the game with HDR enabled - nor will I have in the foreseeable future.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Like Cody, I'm only checking with GIMP at present but...

Looks like an improvement from what I can tell.
The green looks reminiscent of Return of the Jedi to me 8)
Cody wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:33 pm
is that edging towards magenta?
Er, isn't that what it's supposed to be?
RGB display granting magenta, cyan and yellow as secondary (and therefore still distinct) colours.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Thanks for the input guys. Note that viewing hdr files on gimp is the same as viewing them as pngs, if your display is not HDR capable, i.e. on a non HDR display you will not be able to view them in their full detail. Also some older gimp versions have a bug and show transparency when pixels are full black, which is contrary to the hdr file format spec and looks weird. If this happens to you, just export the image as .hdr from gimp itself and that will fix it.

The lightsaber look is kind of what I was looking for. Not that we were too far away from that before, it just needed a bit more oomph to get there.

And yes, magenta is what it should be in that Cobra pic.