Oolite Website Domain & Fixing the Expansions Manager

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Oolite Website Domain & Fixing the Expansions Manager

Post by phkb »

another_commander wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:54 am
@phkb I was wondering if you could maybe post a short blurb for each of the main features you've added in 1.91 (e.g. keyboard handling etc.) when you get a chance. I'd like to add them in the What's New page on the website ;-)
Can do! I’ll send something through shortly.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

Well... I tried to make another menu for a small screen width... now I see that some sections are displayed quite acceptable (News, Start, Gallery, Community), but the About, Downloads and Expansions are out of screen. I will continue to work on this problem.
Cobra MK III owner since 1994
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

another_commander wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:35 am
True, but probably no good advertising it any further. I think it creates confusion if we have it up on the website when we no longer offer support for 32 bit systems. It can still stay on github for those willing to look for it, but I think it's best to concentrate on the 64 bit versions. I've updated the website text with the new minimum OS requirement.
My understanding was that Oolite tried to help those people with older, outdated computers. And when one looks around the surface of the planet, there would seem to be many using older Windows computers, especially in third world countries.

It already creates confusion having a version which for almost an entire year now has been linked to a non-working (virus-infested?) website for the Expansions Manager. We seem utterly unconcerned about that.

I really don't see how actually keeping something up which helps people download Oolite for their older computers is confusing. And directing most people to gaze at GitHub is a complete waste of time. Too complicated. Too user-unfriendly. If Hiran had not helped me, I'd be utterly unable to do so myself.

I'm sorry. If I had the skills to help, I would love to do so. But I don't.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

The table with extensions took the longest to finalize; I had to sacrifice some columns when reducing the screen size (on a wide screen everything will be the same). The update has already been applied to the site (remember to clear your browser cache or just wait a while). Fixed minor problems in the gallery. On the downloads page on a small screen, the blocks will be in a column.
Plz let me know if some looks bad on small screens.

Regarding the Win32 version, I support the opinion that a "legacy block" with a link to the Win32 version should be added to the Downloads page. Indeed, not everyone will go to GitHub.

PS Dear friends, I try to visit the forum periodically, but sometimes I may not log in for a long time. Please feel free to contact me via email (if you are able) if you need me.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

32-bit Windows downloads added to the website Download page.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

another_commander wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:42 pm
faster than bullet... 8)

IMHO it is necessary to add a clarification to the right of the link like "* see. note below"
And below we will write a paragraph something like "About the Win32 version: 1.9 is the last and is not planned to be automatically rebuilt for this platform." What do you think?
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Yes, I'll write a short note in the download box. Give me a few minutes.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

another_commander wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:42 pm
Thank you for this!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

another_commander wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:35 pm
Sorry, but I couldn't resist trying to bring all three boot blocks into the same style. :oops:

What confuses me now is that all three blocks mention the same link to OoliteStarter (no depend on OS - just repeated)...
I would prefer to insert another separate H2 section (before the first Starfield) and make a short description of the advantages and benefits of using this wonderful recommended program (with link to forum topic?). I can do this, but your consent and text are required. :roll:
phkb

Post by phkb »

another_commander wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:54 am
@phkb I was wondering if you could maybe post a short blurb for each of the main features you've added in 1.91 (e.g. keyboard handling etc.) when you get a chance. I'd like to add them in the What's New page on the website ;-)
How's this?
In-Game Keyboard Configuration
Possibly our most requested feature has made it into the game. You can now completely configure your keyboard in game, and even during play. You can set key combinations that use the Ctrl and Alt (eg Ctrl-C), and assign them to any game action. More keys of the keyboard are recognised and can be used, keys like Home, Insert, and Delete. There is now no need to recall obscure numbers to utilise the number pad keys on the keyboard, as the game understands text definitions like "numpad1".

Along with this comes support for non-US keyboard layouts, so those Italian or German keyboards can have Oolite understand their keyboard natively. 16 keyboard layouts are included by default.

Finally, the functions listed on the keyboard configuration screen have been grouped into sections with a section heading, to make navigating the list a bit easier and more intuitive.

Fast Activation Keys
Getting more fast activation keys for prime-able equipment is probably the second most requested feature, and this is now in the game. Every piece of prime-able equipment you purchase can have the "Activate" and "Mode" functions assigned to individual keys, eliminating the need to prime the equipment first. Once the keys are assigned, they will remain attached to that equipment in any new game you start, so you don't have to go through the process of assigning them more than once.

Mission screen enhancements
For a long time, player interaction on mission screens was limited to the Up and Down arrow keys to navigate a menu, and pressing Enter to select the item. We can now define any number of additional keys for a mission screen, which gives OXP developers the opportunity to create far more interactive and intuitive screens for players. From being able to utilise the Page Up and Down keys to navigate multiple pages, or using the Left and Right keys to change a value, to having a custom number entry page to enter a key code, the possibilities are endless.

Along side this, it is now also possible to attach custom key presses to existing game screens. For instance, you can add a key press to the F6 Chart screen that will jump to a mission screen when pressed. Or it could execute a new function on that screen. This means that OXP developers can choose the best place in the game to create an interface to their custom code, and not be restricted to just using the F4 Interfaces page. Mission screens can even be called up during flight, with some restrictions.

Joysticks
We've given the joystick mapping screen a bit of an update, grouping related functions together under headings (the same headings used for the Keyboard configuration screen), added the ability to map some missing commands, and added included the ability to map the "Activate" and "Mode" functions of prime-able equipment to any joystick button.
Edit: Delete unnecessary word
Last edited by phkb on Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

@another_commander,
plz, let me add this? )
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

timer wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:07 am
@another_commander,
plz, let me add this? )
Looks great. Hit it!
phkb

Post by phkb »

@another_commander,
plz, let me add this? )
please note the small adjustment to the joystick segment.
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

timer wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:57 pm
another_commander wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:35 pm
Sorry, but I couldn't resist trying to bring all three boot blocks into the same style. :oops:

What confuses me now is that all three blocks mention the same link to OoliteStarter (no depend on OS - just repeated)...
I would prefer to insert another separate H2 section (before the first Starfield) and make a short description of the advantages and benefits of using this wonderful recommended program (with link to forum topic?). I can do this, but your consent and text are required. :roll:
When I asked an AI about OoliteStarter, this is what it came up with:
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?f= ... er#p293282

Would an extract of that be sufficient for your purpose? You can use that link also as forum thread, and we do have a wiki page as well if you like:
https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Oolite_Starter

If you need a formal consent: Granted. Go ahead. :-)
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
timer
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by timer »

another_commander wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:15 am
@another_commander,
plz, let me add this? )
Looks great. Hit it!
reworked the code of all HTML pages of the "whatsnew" section, brought it to a unified style using CSS, fixed some problems with HTML tags. Added information from @phkb to the page for 1.91. It would be great to add some items to the "Expansion Pack Development - Scripting" section...

Any correction - welcome!

hiran wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:56 am
If you need a formal consent: Granted. Go ahead. :-)
Great! I will try to do everything in the best possible way! :D