Options other than amnesty for clearing offender status?

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Options other than amnesty for clearing offender status?

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:52 pm
From what I have heard your status cleans slowly during witchspace jumps. Maybe the status cannot travel faster than light...
your status cleans slowly during witchspace jumps... unless you have Bounty System loaded!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

crochambeau wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:02 pm
So, an odd thing happened to me the other day.

I'm playing with the BountySystem.oxz and Smugglers_2.1.1.oxz installed. Because I found it impossible to resist seeing what would happen, I did a bad, bad thing in G1. Instant fugitive status.

So, I bounce to G2. Obviously this does nothing to change my status as a fugitive. I learn that if I can slip into stations before my ship is scanned I'm able to manage a living for a bit, eventually winding up on the wrong end of a scanner and needing to factor a given system as unwelcoming.

It keeps things interesting, and I figured I would play this way for as long as it took to reach the point at which I could come clean and pay up. Turned out I had a 10K bounty on my head with close to a million in fees. Okay, this may take a bit longer than I had planned for, but I'm going to see if I can manage to climb out of this hole without getting myself killed.

Fast forward a couple months. I'm running passengers and parcels, which demands I visit stations. Being on the run has resulted in a hunted tunnel vision, and I forget to "disappear" some mundane cargo that this system finds offensive. Panicked, I bribe an official 1000 credits to look the other way; resulting in me keeping my cargo, which was then sold at some less than optimal market rate.

Ever since then my intergalactic crime appears to be expunged from Galcop's system. I have not yet returned to G1 and the scene of the crime, but for the moment everything seems to be above board, and I can even fly next to Galcop ships and suffer no misfortune when they repeatedly put me under scrutiny.

Is this a glitch? Is it going to snap back when the official whom I bribed is caught with their pants down in the future? I feel like I dodged a bullet, thanks for reading.
This is one for Phkb, methinks.

Do you still have your latest.log of the game? If you have only played once since, then it will have been reclassified as your previous.log... if you have played more than once, then it is gone for good!

And where does your name "crochambeau" come from?
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
crochambeau
Poor
Poor

Post by crochambeau »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:15 pm

Do you still have your latest.log of the game? If you have only played once since, then it will have been reclassified as your previous.log... if you have played more than once, then it is gone for good!

And where does your name "crochambeau" come from?
I believe I have played several more times since that happened and didn't think to branch another save file once I noticed it (I did branch a save file right before I committed "the act", and could theoretically have a go at recreating the sequence of events if it's enormously useful). I'm happy to provide my previous log, but it's quite wordy and would benefit from a "spoilers" tag for readability. Let me know if I should just let 'er rip anyway!

My user name is the first initial of my actual name followed by my last name; so much for my anonymity (hahaha), but with my record newly scrubbed I should pass as normal.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

crochambeau wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:48 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:15 pm

I believe I have played several more times since that happened and didn't think to branch another save file once I noticed it (I did branch a save file right before I committed "the act", and could theoretically have a go at recreating the sequence of events if it's enormously useful). I'm happy to provide my previous log, but it's quite wordy and would benefit from a "spoilers" tag for readability. Let me know if I should just let 'er rip anyway!
It sounds quite wonderful to me. The official seems to have gotten it wrong and let you off for more than he should have (seems to have really liked you). Your interpretation is a good immersive one. I tried to do the same when BountySystem combined with Diplomancy clobbered me twice, but failed to come up with a logical reason.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=290782#p290782 (in G7)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=286774#p286774 (in G1)

But more generally,

What do you think of the new version of Oolite? The changes since 2011 (tougher game, better NPC AI, pirates in safe systems close to anarchies, the newer oxps...)?

How do you find Oolite Starter/the Expansions Manager?

Did you ever find the Towbar OXP wished for in your 2011 post?
Comments wanted:
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

crochambeau wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:02 pm
Is this a glitch? Is it going to snap back when the official whom I bribed is caught with their pants down in the future?
You can check what your systemwide bounty status is by going to the GalCop Security Office on the main station in any system and viewing any outstanding bounties in the current system or any intergalactic ones.

However, the Bounty system is trying to honour situations where an OXP would set the player's bounty back to zero (meaning it was being completely cleared). In your case, a similar thing happened, I think. If you managed to avoid getting scanned prior to docking, that meant your in-system bounty stayed at zero. Illegal cargo was found on your ship, and so a penalty was applied. You then bribed the official and had that penalty removed. However, because your starting bounty was zero, paying the penalty cleared all your bounties. So, a lucky "GalCop error in your favour" type of thing.

I might have to refine my method of clearing all bounties in a future release of the Bounty System. Thanks for reporting!
crochambeau
Poor
Poor

Post by crochambeau »

phkb wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:07 pm
If you managed to avoid getting scanned prior to docking, that meant your in-system bounty stayed at zero. Illegal cargo was found on your ship, and so a penalty was applied. You then bribed the official and had that penalty removed. However, because your starting bounty was zero, paying the penalty cleared all your bounties. So, a lucky "GalCop error in your favour" type of thing.

I might have to refine my method of clearing all bounties in a future release of the Bounty System. Thanks for reporting!
Thanks for clarifying, this does make sense. This was indeed the case, I was still "clean" on my status page inside the station. My approach was to hit "Shift C" and do the fast docking ASAP which didn't result in a scan (over DOZENS of runs), even though the shortcut involves the loss of 20 minutes. I once tried to zip in and manually dock (while still registering as clean in that system), and while I could get the station to green light my approach I was unable to actually fly in before I was scanned and everything went sideways.
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:56 pm

It sounds quite wonderful to me. The official seems to have gotten it wrong and let you off for more than he should have (seems to have really liked you). Your interpretation is a good immersive one. I tried to do the same when BountySystem combined with Diplomancy clobbered me twice, but failed to come up with a logical reason.

https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=290782#p290782 (in G7)
https://bb.oolite.space/viewtopic.php?p=286774#p286774 (in G1)

But more generally,

What do you think of the new version of Oolite? The changes since 2011 (tougher game, better NPC AI, pirates in safe systems close to anarchies, the newer oxps...)?

How do you find Oolite Starter/the Expansions Manager?

Did you ever find the Towbar OXP wished for in your 2011 post?
Yes, I'm happy with the immersion of that solution. Honestly, I'm still a bit apprehensive about checking my status through the Galcop system, but currently the only thing there is a minor jewel smuggling mishap, and I can eat the 50 Cr.

I'm enjoying the improved game quite a bit so far! It had been several years between plays, so I'm still getting the hang of it again. This is my first experience with running any OXPs, as my old system was quite long in tooth and objected to much beyond wire frame. I have not yet installed the towbar. I'll rectify that, but the fact of the matter is I have yet to come across any derelict ships. Thanks for the reminder!
RockDoctor
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by RockDoctor »

Cody wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:58 am
and get sent for "attitude adjustment" (this will take days on your ship's clock) - et voilà!
Oh, I'll have to watch out for this next time I have to clean up after the Lobstoids.
--
Shooting aliens for fun and ... well, more fun.
"Speaking as an outsider, what do you think of the human race?" (John Cooper Clark - "I married a Space Alien")