Dropping Windows Vista Support

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Dropping Windows Vista Support

Post by another_commander »

As mentioned in this post from 2016, we aim to be able to run Oolite even on low end systems, trying to offer support for versions of Windows that go back as far as possible.

As also mentioned in the same post though, certain new features require newer versions of the OS for their implementation. There comes a time where it becomes a matter of choice: either new features or no features and staying with the older OS version support, without possibility for any solutions in-between. And with the latest HDR support implementation, we seem to have reached such a junction.

In addition to that, earlier this year we had to drop general 32-bit support on Windows. This was not announced officially, just in passing during a discussion about another topic, but just to keep it on official record: yes, 32-bit support is already dropped and no more 32-bit nightlies are generated. No new 32-bit releases will be published. At this point I would consider it a safe bet that all users running the game on Windows are already on the 64-bit version of the OS so I do not expect to see any drama over this. But, dropping 32-bit support implicitly drops also support for the vast majority of Windows Vista installations (assuming there are any of them still left around). And yes, there might have been Vista x64 versions, but I would consider them too rare at this time to be of significance.

So, to keep it short and to the point, it looks like the time to make the next step and drop Windows Vista support has arrived. We are currently standing by for a pull request on github which, once merged, will make the game not runnable on this OS. Once the pull request has been merged, the minimum version of Windows required to run Oolite will be officially upped to Windows 7 64-bit. Although Windows 7 is also past its EOL (End of Life) since January 14 2020, it is understood that there is still a relevant user base for it, so it remains supported as far as Oolite is concerned. But for the best experience, the recommendation regarding preferred OS versions at this time is either Windows 10 or 11.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Re: Dropping Windows Vista Support

Post by Cody »

<hugs Win7 Pro 64-bit OEM DVD>
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cody wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:04 pm
<hugs Win7 Pro 64-bit OEM DVD>
Hey bro! I also have an MS Win Vista Home Basic OEM 64. It had to leave for Linux to come, and eventually I placed it inside a virtualbox.
But not having all the patches that came throughout it's lifetime make it even quite isolated on the network. So it is of little value.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cody

Post by Cody »

I dodged Vista, went straight from XP to Win7.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Switeck »

Cody wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:07 pm
As did I!

Mostly due to not getting a new computer very often (years-and-years!) and due to "if it ain't broke..."

Having an archive to older versions of Oolite, with notes that the updater won't work without workarounds at best, is probably a good way to support older OSes and PCs.
Also might need a mention somewhere about "last version to support 32bit/Vista/XP/etc".
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Switeck wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:48 pm
Cody wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 9:07 pm
As did I!

Mostly due to not getting a new computer very often (years-and-years!) and due to "if it ain't broke..."

Having an archive to older versions of Oolite, with notes that the updater won't work without workarounds at best, is probably a good way to support older OSes and PCs.
Also might need a mention somewhere about "last version to support 32bit/Vista/XP/etc".
There is a difference between dev support and community support. The old versions will not get any fixed but if someone asks he may at least get a response.
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite