Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

where are my new oxps?

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

zarkov
Above Average
Above Average

where are my new oxps?

Post by zarkov »

After a long time away from Oolite I have installed 1.90 - which is grand. All of the oxps that I had installed with the old version work fine. Amongst a few others, I have downloaded and installed the Vimana HUD via "Manage expansion packs", but my old HUD still appears on screen. I have looked at the folder containing all my manually installed oxps, but it doesn't contain any of the latest installations and a search doesn't find a folder containing them. Should I simply delete the old HUD file to prompt its replacement with the Vimana, or...?? :?
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: where are my new oxps?

Post by montana05 »

Downloads from the expansion manager end up in a different folder, you will not see them under AddsOns. Regarding your HUD a wild guess would be that you first need to buy it to replace with your current one.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

montana05 wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 1:11 pm
Downloads from the expansion manager end up in a different folder
Here: ~:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddons

And welcome back!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
zarkov
Above Average
Above Average

Post by zarkov »

Many thanks :D
zarkov
Above Average
Above Average

Post by zarkov »

Further to my Vimana HUD query and the reply from montana05 - when I have manually installed HUD oxps in older versions, the HUD has appeared immediately. Does installing a HUD from the new management system make it available only by purchase when offered on sundry tech planets? :?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

zarkov wrote: Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:41 pm
Further to my Vimana HUD query and the reply from montana05 - when I have manually installed HUD oxps in older versions, the HUD has appeared immediately. Does installing a HUD from the new management system make it available only by purchase when offered on sundry tech planets? :?
I don't know why Vimana does not show up for you. But why not add in Norby's HUDSelector.oxp (on the in-game Expansions Manager) and then you can choose the HUD of your choice while docked on the F4 screen - HUD and MFD Selector under "Ship systems". The newer HUDs all tend to be HUDSelector compliant so you can try them all out and see what suits you best!

Just to explain - the newer oxz's are on the in-game Expansions Manager (apart from a few here and there) - and are stored in your ManagedAddOns folder. The oxp's are not on the Expansions Manager and (as before) need to be physically added to your AddOns folder. I've sent you a pm with links to the various .oxp lists on the wiki. Many of the old favourites (eg. Galactic Navy) are not oxz's.

Reference: HUD Images here - over 40 HUDs for your delight and delectation!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

One other point - if you are still having issues with the Vimana, try adding LogEvents.oxz to your cocktail of oxz's, and then post your latest.log here.

LogEvents adds more information into your latest.log to help track down and fix problems.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
zarkov
Above Average
Above Average

Post by zarkov »

Many thanks for that info. I couldn't find the Norby's HUD selector anywhere on the list - unless it's the "HUD selector with large HUD", which I did install - and following your advice to hit the F4 screen I was able to select the Vimana HUD. Although I previously had version 1.8 installed, I haven't really spent much time playing since version 1.76 or something, around 2007. The game has come on immensely since then – putting it mildly. In the past my son often scoffed at my enthusiasm for Oolite – comparing it unfavourably with EV and the like, but Oolite is now in different league altogether, so I hope to draw him in. I'm not sure it is likely to be necessary, but I'm unable to find the "ManagedAddOns" folder anywhere on the PC. I have an Addons folder with all my previously installed oxps - around 60 odd, but a search fails to find the former...
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

zarkov wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:40 am
Many thanks for that info. I couldn't find the Norby's HUD selector anywhere on the list - unless it's the "HUD selector with large HUD", which I did install - and following your advice to hit the F4 screen I was able to select the Vimana HUD. Although I previously had version 1.8 installed, I haven't really spent much time playing since version 1.76 or something, around 2007. The game has come on immensely since then – putting it mildly. In the past my son often scoffed at my enthusiasm for Oolite – comparing it unfavourably with EV and the like, but Oolite is now in different league altogether, so I hope to draw him in. I'm not sure it is likely to be necessary, but I'm unable to find the "ManagedAddOns" folder anywhere on the PC. I have an Addons folder with all my previously installed oxps - around 60 odd, but a search fails to find the former...
I'm just a dumb pilot, not a programmer, but I understand the crucial differences between the two to be the management aspect and ability to load .oxp's-

ManagedAddOns allows one .oxz to state that it conflicts with another .oxz in the same folder - or to demand that another .oxz is downloaded to allow it to function properly. I'm not sure that oxp's will be loaded into your game if they are placed in here. (They might need a manifest.plist or something).

AddOns does not allow any of this, but .oxp's and .oxz's will both be added into your game if in this folder.

But is your Managed AddOns really not at ~:\Oolite\oolite.app\GNUstep\Library\ApplicationSupport\Oolite\ManagedAddons? But if your newly downloaded oxz's are working properly, you probably don't need to know where it is - unless you want to start tweaking them.

As a matter of interest, how are things at your end of existence? How did your family get through Covid? And how are you all coping with the current economic crisis? Are you lucky enough to be somewhere not too badly affected by it all?

I'm in the UK - everything seems to be collapsing (prices going up, the poor being hammered in every which way, taxes going up, etc). But at least COVID seems to be becoming less of a threat, although many of the elderly wear masks when going out.
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

The ManagedAddons folder is only created when you install your first oxz from the manager.
zarkov
Above Average
Above Average

Post by zarkov »

I don't remember how to include a quote - but here it is -

"As a matter of interest, how are things at your end of existence? How did your family get through Covid? And how are you all coping with the current economic crisis? Are you lucky enough to be somewhere not too badly affected by it all?
I'm in the UK - everything seems to be collapsing (prices going up, the poor being hammered in every which way, taxes going up, etc). But at least COVID seems to be becoming less of a threat, although many of the elderly wear masks when going out."

Things here are fine - thanks. I'm retired and live with my partner in Cornwall - a few miles as the crow flies from Plymouth. We've exercised healthy paranoia throughout Covid and with caution and jabs we've not yet caught it. We are fortunate here - it's usually much warmer than most of the uk and apart from the summer months the Covid infection levels have been fairly low. We were both used to living with limited means from the early 70s onwards, and now we receive state pension so we've not really had any problems - yet - as a result of the economic turbulence. The UK does appear to be falling apart and It must be horrendous for so many people having to fight for survival - particularly when there's no shortage of money out there. I think when there are so many individuals who can pay millions for a biro that once belonged to John Lennon - or the like - it suggests that something has gone very horribly wrong - globally - and appears to be getting worse.
zarkov
Above Average
Above Average

Post by zarkov »

I have found the ManagedAddOns folder. W11 pc found it no probs, but not W10 for some unknown reason. Many thanks to all for your help :D
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

zarkov wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:13 pm
I don't remember how to include a quote
Use the " button on the top right - and then delete what you don't want in the quote. Keep the boxed "/quote" at the end though!

zarkov wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:13 pm
and now we receive a pension
If you have a little spare time, and if you have the interest, might there be any chance of your helping out on the LitF (Life in the Frontier) project? We need more descriptions of bars, as well as hotels and anything else which might take your fancy. The more that we can add in, the better it will be...

Massively Locked's current prototype (v.0.06) is here - click on the puce LitF+v0.06.oxz just above Summary and pop it into either AddOns folder

Table of Contents for the LitF thread (what we are working on) is here

You might also want to add in the cheat oxp Long Range Scanner to allow you to visit other systems easily to visit Dodos & Icos and to pop up besides the Rock Hermits - and edit a test pilot save file to add the dosh (165,000₢) to afford the equipment!
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

zarkov wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:15 pm
I have found the ManagedAddOns folder. W11 pc found it no probs, but not W10 for some unknown reason.
How strange! Not that I know much about W10/W11 as I'm still on Win7 (and likely to remain so).