Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Size and Fuel

General discussion for players of Oolite.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Size and Fuel

Post by Cholmondely »

Curious!

I've noticed the argument that the amount of fuel to open a witchhole has no relevance to the size of the ship entering it. Fair enough.

But.

Should not injectors in big ships (Boas) use more fuel than those in small ships (Adders)? The existence of Military Fuel Injectors OXP, Star Fuel OXP shows this to be OXP-able.

I presume that our various ship Equipment "meta-oxp's" out there do not address this (Ship Configuration OXP, Equipment by Ship Class OXP, Equipment by Ship Role OXP, ShipVersion OXP...)

And could it not be possible to allow an increase in the capacity of the fuel tanks in the vanilla game code without increasing the maximum jump distance?

This of course should be even more true for such oxp's as SW's HardWay where all activity costs fuel.

Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Milo
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Size and Fuel

Post by Milo »

https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Surjectors modify fuel consumption, not by ship size but by consuming shields when weapons are off.

Ship Configuration changes the injector fuel consumption rate also, based on the type of injector installed.
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:22 pm
And could it not be possible to allow an increase in the capacity of the fuel tanks in the vanilla game code without increasing the maximum jump distance?
You can increase the fuel capacity, but the maximum jump range is hard-coded.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:46 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:22 pm
You can increase the fuel capacity, but the maximum jump range is hard-coded.
Super!

How?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:53 pm
Super!

How?
fuel

fuel : Number (read/write)

The ship’s current fuel capacity, in LY. The game will limit this to the range 0..7, and round it off to the nearest tenth.
You need a workaround e.g. as soon as it drops below 7, restore it back to 7.
Incorporate a limited supply of this boosting e.g. when player ship fuel would drop, decrease reserve instead.
Once reserve is depleted then you're down to your last 7.

Equipment by Ship Class increased fuel price for the larger vessels as it's sold by by range (LY), not quantity (TC/m3/whatever).
fuelChargeRate

fuelChargeRate : Number (read-only)

The cost, relative to the cost for a new Cobra III, of a unit of fuel. When buying fuel for a ship, the price in equipment.plist will be multiplied by this number.
As well as altering both injector burn rate and injector speed based on tech and grade but it realllyyyy needs an update :|
Last edited by Redspear on Sun Nov 20, 2022 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cody

Post by Cody »

Having had dinner and thought about it, perhaps not. You can increase it in a save-file though. Summon a boffin!See Redspear's post above!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!