OXP/OXZ proposal - stop poking holes in my ship!

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: winston, another_commander

Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

OXP/OXZ proposal - stop poking holes in my ship!

Post by Switeck »

This is a simple idea, probably easily and even already implemented somewhere...but here goes!

As a ship is under heavy fire, often its shields go down and it is taking hits to its internal energy banks...presumably, the hull of the ship is also taking damage at that point and at risk of puncture.

This explains the possible loss of both external (high odds?) and internal (lower odds?) equipment.

...But can being under fire with no remaining shields ever cause a fuel leak?

(If not, perhaps it should be a possibility as an OXP/OXZ add-on or core game behavior?)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: OXP/OXZ proposal - stop poking holes in my ship!

Post by Cholmondely »

Switeck wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:21 pm
This is a simple idea, probably easily and even already implemented somewhere...but here goes!

As a ship is under heavy fire, often its shields go down and it is taking hits to its internal energy banks...presumably, the hull of the ship is also taking damage at that point and at risk of puncture.

This explains the possible loss of both external (high odds?) and internal (lower odds?) equipment.

...But can being under fire with no remaining shields ever cause a fuel leak?

(If not, perhaps it should be a possibility as an OXP/OXZ add-on or core game behavior?)
I wonder if Norby's Hard Ships might already do this:
Armour sides to all ships

The standard armour of the ships divided between 6 sides: Fore, Aft, Port, Starboard, Top, Bottom. There are two "inner" sides also: IronHide armour and the Core hull.

After taking enough (maxEnergy/2) damage either outer side to destroy it, the next hits on the damaged side will count to the Core hull hit. Taking equal amounts with maxEnergy of the Core hull hit causes internal damage or if it happens within a short time then more likely will cause a Fuel Leak. The chance of the Leak is higher if the ship is low in energy.
Technically the Core hull is another shield against the energy damage, but it is repaired much slower than the energy is recharged. If you get many hits in a short time then the energy will be low also when the Core hull runs out - so this can cause a Fuel Leak. But if there was enough time between the hits to recharge enough energy (but not enough to repair the hull) then one gets internal damage. The Fuel Leak will be sealed if 25% of the hull is repaired, and this then continues until fully repaired: but fuel can leak again if it runs out next time.
Additional Core Hull Equipment

Doubles the damage absorbed before one starts to get internal damage or a Fuel Leak. It is automatically repaired in-flight as the normal part of the Core hull due to it not being an armour. If the equipment is damaged then it is repairable in dock only, but the added hull remains as a one-time defense.
Conflicts

CustomShields OXP included Fuel Leak support also, turn it off if you do not want double chance to leaking.
And also CSOTB's Custom Shields - and also Smiv's Battle Damage...

I think that you have come up with a classic example of the difficulties inherent in understanding a game with over 1,150 modifications...
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Switeck
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: OXP/OXZ proposal - stop poking holes in my ship!

Post by Switeck »

So there are multiple examples of this...as OXPs/OXZs.

Should that leaky fuel behavior also be a rare vanilla Oolite event?