Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Scanner Filter/Modes

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Scanner Filter/Modes

Post by Killer Wolf »

I seem to regularly get jumped by pirate groups whilst trading at Hermits, and it's pretty annoying having the targetting lock up asteroids as i try and get a bead on a ship. i think it would be pretty cool to have an upgrade to the scanner that would allow you to select modes;
- default: as is
- combat: will lock onto ships only [including Thargoids]
- miner: will only lock up asteroids, boulders and splinters
- scavenger: will lock up ships and cargo canisters only
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Re: Scanner Filter/Modes

Post by phkb »

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

See Guide to Accuracy OXPs for a lengthy disquisition on all this. Missile Locks, Laser Locks etc.

Personally I found Phkb's Fast Target Selector invaluable in my early days, and had it permanently glued to my Fast Activation button. His simple choice between just "attackers" vs. "absolutely everything" proved just the thing for me. But then I discovered CSOTB's Military Targeting System (2 months ago) which needs no buttons...
Last edited by Cholmondely on Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

ta for that. got the military targeter and works great, the wall of text spamming the list of targets in an active anarchy system can be a little distracting though.

i noted when loading the game, before installing, my scanner flashes a locked target blue/orange, it didn't last night and i changed nothing, any idea what that is?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Killer Wolf wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:53 pm
ta for that. got the military targeter and works great, the wall of text spamming the list of targets in an active anarchy system can be a little distracting though.

i noted when loading the game, before installing, my scanner flashes a locked target blue/orange, it didn't last night and i changed nothing, any idea what that is?
That, dear boy, is CSOTB's military targeting system showing you what your target is on your scanner.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Killer Wolf
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Killer Wolf »

ah right - odd though, i put the OXP in but it was doing it before it i actually hopped to the Tech 11 and bought the item.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Killer Wolf wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:01 pm
Ah right - odd though, I put the OXP in but it was doing it before it I actually hopped to the Tech 11 and bought the item.
Quite. There are two parts to the OXP. The free part is granted gratis when you add the OXP to your cocktail - the automatic sensing and targeting of whatever you are pointing at (and includes the blue/orange lollipop). CSOTB seems to have felt that any normal space ship would have that included as part of the basic ship systems. The paid part allows selecting targets by type (pirates/Thargoids/neutrals etc).

By the way, you might care to sneak a peek at Target System Plugins - there are various MFDs which you might find interesting....

By the way, you might at some stage consider modifying some of your HUD's to allow MFD's to be displayed. And there are possibly other updates which might be worth considering - Phkb would know more about this.
Comments wanted: