Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Hiding equipment from the priming list

An area for discussing new ideas and additions to Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Alnivel
Dangerous
Dangerous

Hiding equipment from the priming list

Post by Alnivel »

In the near future, it may be possible to map keys to equipment, and it may turn out that the remaining entry in the priming list will only interfere. It would be nice if it would be possible to hide equipment from this list.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Hiding equipment from the priming list

Post by Cholmondely »

Does the list exist as such anywhere much outside the Primeable Equipment MFD? With Fast Activation buttons installed for everything, won't the list just become irrelevant for those using them - or am I missing something?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Alnivel
Dangerous
Dangerous

Post by Alnivel »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:53 pm
Does the list exist as such anywhere much outside the Primeable Equipment MFD?
This MFD only displays the list on the screen, the priming list itself is part of the main game and can be scrolled through without any OXP via Shift+N. I will clarify that by hiding I mean not just the impossibility to see the equipment entry on screen, but the impossibility to prime this equipment by scrolling the list.
Cholmondely wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:53 pm
With Fast Activation buttons installed for everything, won't the list just become irrelevant for those using them - or am I missing something?
Yes, install buttons for everything, then it will become rudimentary, sure. But:
  • Will there be enough buttons on the keyboard for this? On mine, I only counted 6 free keys, probably missed a couple, this is only enough for about 3-5 equipment.
  • What if I rarely use some equipment or just don't want to activate it by accident?
  • Should the player go into the settings to set a buttons for mission equipment that they will use only once (for example, a camera from Tionisla Reporter), and the mission to explain to the player what needs to be done (and probably how)? (Well, it still would be nice to have a mission that shows how to do keybinding, like TR does with equipment priming)
So I think the priming list is still needed even after adding keybindings and the way to hide equipment will only make it better.

Also, I forgot to add in the first post that if hiding is possible via js or plist it will allow to create equipment that is aimed only at using individual keys without clogging the main list.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Alnivel wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:49 pm
Will there be enough buttons on the keyboard for this? On mine, I only counted 6 free keys, probably missed a couple, this is only enough for about 3-5 equipment.
Remember that Shift, Ctrl and Alt options will be possible for almost all keys. There should be a few of those spare!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

And if you then add a Button Box - or use Touchportal, you will be away!

Touch Portal
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

phkb wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:42 pm
Alnivel wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:49 pm
Will there be enough buttons on the keyboard for this? On mine, I only counted 6 free keys, probably missed a couple, this is only enough for about 3-5 equipment.
Remember that Shift, Ctrl and Alt options will be possible for almost all keys. There should be a few of those spare!
Does this include the number pad? By which I mean as a distinct form of input rather than simply replicating the numbers on the rest of the keyboard.

Does "Num Lock" help/hinder in this regard?
phkb
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Redspear wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:04 am
Does this include the number pad? By which I mean as a distinct form of input rather than simply replicating the numbers on the rest of the keyboard.
It should. That was the goal, anyway.
Redspear wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 9:04 am
Does "Num Lock" help/hinder in this regard?
I'm not sure at present of the impact of numlock - I can't remember from my testing what the story was. I'd need to do some tests.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

phkb wrote: Tue Nov 22, 2022 11:30 am
It should. That was the goal, anyway.
Interesting...

No rush, I might have a go myself at some point. Thanks.