Deep Space Dredger

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

I have just tried to download version 2.0 but Boxnet informed me that no shared files or folders found. Version 1.2 downloaded fine but I am dying to see those new models in ver. 2

By the way the version in the initial wiki oxp page says version 1.1 (That is the reason why I haven’t seen that a new version was available all this time)
Eric Walch
Slightly Grand Rear Admiral

Post by Eric Walch »

Ark wrote:
I have just tried to download version 2.0 but Boxnet informed me that no shared files or folders found. Version 1.2 downloaded fine but I am dying to see those new models in ver. 2
I think it has a dozen downloads so it did work fine. I haven't changed anything but maybe boxnet changed it since?. I verified the link and it should be correct to thebox's info. I got the same message, but while doing something else, the download suddenly started after a minute or so. Strange.

Currently I have a new version prepared for the 1.72 changes. I'll upload that soon.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Eric Walch wrote:
Currently I have a new version prepared for the 1.72 changes. I'll upload that soon.
I looking forward to it :D
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

I am about to upload a 1.72 adapted version of the Dredgers.oxp. I just wonder if I have to change things. Specially the opinion of the salvage part would be interesting.

Compared to version 1.0 there are more dredger types but all are very rarely seen during normal play. They are added sometimes very far away behind the witchpoint and in very deep space at systems with tech level 8 or higher.

I am curious if others than Little Bear and me managed to salvage some ships. Is it doable or is the pirate resistance to strong? When you revive a derelict it will fly towards a dredger. The dredger is just visible from this point and the player has to look for the heading of the derelict to spot the distant dredger.

On its way the derelict will meet two waves of pirates with a random number of ships. The only way to protect the defenceless derelict is to fly ahead and draw all the hostile fire to the player and kill them all in time before the derelict reaches the second wave. And never cloak, as than the pirates will switch target to the defenceless derelict.

Did others manage to find this tactic themselves and have others already rescued any ships using this oxp? (I normally succeed in over 90% of the cases)
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Commander McLane »

Haven't tried it out yet.

I get the occasional JS-warning from the dredgers-script, though. Usually something about planets in interstellar space.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Just got it again and can quote the error:
[script.javaScript.exception.39]: ***** JavaScript exception: TypeError: system.mainPlanet has no properties
[script.javaScript.exception.39]: /Applications/Spiele/Oolite 1.72/AddOns/Dredger 1.2.oxp/Scripts/dredger.js, line 30.
The dredgerCheck-function is executed in interstellar space as well, and therefore gives the error, because there is no planet to measure the distance from.

dredgerCheck is only called (in the dredger-script itself) from within the reset-event handler. Which means that either the reset-event handler gets executed when the player is spawned in interstellar space (which would be a bug, wouldn't it?), or some other script at some point is calling dredgerCheck.

EDIT: Could be yet something else. I misjumped after starting the game. So probably the timer was running since I started the game. I just happened to be in interstellar space when it fired.

@ Eric: Please have a look into this. I don't completely understand why you scripted it that way anyway, with the this.reset-event handler that finally will add a dredger after a long wait.
Ark
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Ark »

Commander McLane wrote:
[script.javaScript.exception.39]: ***** JavaScript exception: TypeError: system.mainPlanet has no properties
[script.javaScript.exception.39]: /Applications/Spiele/Oolite 1.72/AddOns/Dredger 1.2.oxp/Scripts/dredger.js, line 30.
From what I know Eric wants to upgrade ver. 2 of the space dradger oxp.
Aparently you have ver 1.2
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Oops! Somehow missed that.

Okay, have downloaded v 2.0 now. Let's see if it works...
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
The dredgerCheck-function is executed in interstellar space as well, and therefore gives the error, because there is no planet to measure the distance from.
You are right. I just noticed this yesterday and fixed it for the next release. You have the old version with just one dredger and without the salvage part, but my current version had still this mistake.

And as the salvage part only works with script added derelicts, they will have an altered name so the player knows this are salvageable ships.
Its almost ready for a new release. I'm just final testing now.
Lestradae
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Lestradae »

Eric Walch wrote:
And as the salvage part only works with script added derelicts, they will have an altered name so the player knows this are salvageable ships.
Wasn`t there talk that "real" derelicts might become salvagable with the new options of 1.72?
LittleBear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----
Location: On a survey mission for GalCop. Ship: Cobra Corvette: Hidden Dragon Rated: Deadly.

Post by LittleBear »

Eric's salvage missile works perfectly on a real derilict. But the game sets a real derilicts max speed to 0.0. :shock: . So although the real direlict is following the new AI given to it by the salvage missile, its moving along at a not very helpful 0.0LM! Doh! I haven't tested it on 1.72, but if 1.72 still sets the max speed of real haulks to zero, then the same problem arrises.
OXPS : The Assassins Guild, Asteroid Storm, The Bank of the Black Monks, Random Hits, The Galactic Almanac, Renegade Pirates can be downloaded from the Elite Wiki here.
Commander McLane
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Just a small suggestion:
ReadMe wrote:
With version 2.0 the dredgers have stepped into the salvation business. ...
While a pilot trapped in a derelict ship may certainly feel this way, I do however think that 'salvation' would generally be considered to be someone else's business (please find your own salvation here).

Therefore I would prefer to assume that the dredgers have stepped into salvaging business. :wink:
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Commander McLane wrote:
I do however think that 'salvation' would generally be considered to be :wink:
But the missile is resurrecting the board computer. And isn't this he soul of the ship. So it is rescuing the ships soul!

(I'll correct this. Bloody foreign languages, in Dutch we just have one word for rescuing an object or a soul))
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Deep Space Dredger 2.2 is on-line.

Minimum version is now 1.72+. No real changes in comparison to 2.1.

- Salvageable ships can now be recognised by the word "derelict" in their name. This to distinguish with system created derelict were the maximum speed is hard coded at 0 m/s.

- Derelicts are a little rarer in safer governments than before.

- The occasional dredger is added a little closer to the space-lanes than before. This increases the change a player will see one.
Eric Walch

Post by Eric Walch »

Updated to version 2.2.5.

Code: Select all

Version 2.2.5 Fixed the commodity definition because it was not used. It will now work for the ships added by this oxp. Renamed texture files to more unique names.
Version 2.2.4 Fixed the commodity definition for gold/platinum/gems. Was always defined in Tons.
Version 2.2.3 Raised maximum salvageble weight from 500 000 to 1 000 000 (Hamadryad = 985 000). Made it work for Oolite 1.74.
Version 2.2.2 Recognises now bigShips.oxp.  When present, that oxp will control part of the ship additions in the spacelane.