A PC for Oolite

News and discussion of the PC port of Oolite.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: A PC for Oolite

Post by Old Murgh »

Switeck wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:25 am
One of the major ways to speed up Microsoft Windows has always been to shut down a lot of background apps it insists stay running almost 24/7.
So I hope you see improvements from that.
Thanks. I endeavour to learn to control that.

Grateful for all such tips that the inexperienced PC user would want to know. Hopefully this weekend's boot camp will educate me somewhat.
–But I managed to install firmware and get the Thrustmaster HOTAS working all by myself. :roll:
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

[Wikipedia] Process Explorer is useful software for monitoring Windows. M$ liked it so much, they acquired the company and kept the developer on.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
hiran
Theorethicist
Location: a parallel world I created for myself. Some call it a singularity...

Post by hiran »

Cody wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:42 pm
[Wikipedia] Process Explorer is useful software for monitoring Windows. M$ liked it so much, they acquired the company and kept the developer on.
When on Windows, for years I really loved not only SysInternals but also Process Lasso, which makes the machine more responsive by just tweaking priorities of the running processes. On latest Windows I have not seen the need any more, but maybe it is due to the excessive CPU power my laptops have today.

Well, whoever's interested might want to check out https://bitsum.com/
Sunshine - Moonlight - Good Times - Oolite
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:13 pm
Grateful for all such tips that the inexperienced PC user would want to know.
Well? Are you still inexperienced?

Did you work out how to turn off your new set of silicon chips?

How is life up there in far-flung frigid northern ice-lands? Did you survive the summer?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:19 pm
Well? Are you still inexperienced?

Did you work out how to turn off your new set of silicon chips?

How is life up there in far-flung frigid northern ice-lands? Did you survive the summer?
Greetings everyone.

Experience didn't come to me as easily and smoothly as hoped. It feels like there will always be an awkwardness between me and Windows. I'm better at using it as a tool, but compared to the intuitive Apple OS relationship that started around 1989, there will probably always be that formal, slightly suspicious distance I suppose.
It mostly does what I want it to. There is a lot less time for exploring it these days, so progress is slow. I did buy Elite Dangerous but never got the momentum to pierce the membrane. In a few years maybe the body will wear out and I'll be less mobile, and I'll have a good alibi to stay put in place.

The ice-lands can be merciless at times. Summers are rarely fantastic, but they offer a break from periods of cruel cold, like the stretch of ~−20°C that we recently weathered. Chopping wood helps a bit to keep warm, and burning it helps a lot. The right kind gives of good smells and atmosphere. Once it's sufficiently warm inside, we can appreciate the things we have foraged, harvested and hunted. Life may be tough sometimes, but also pleasant.

–Very interesting to skim over some of the things that have taken place here in the year that has passed. Domain foreclosure, a saving move, name auction! Exciting stuff. But you lot resolutely endure. Chapeau, lads.
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Wood can warm you three times. When cutting trees and bringing them home. When chopping and stapling. And when burning.

A sufficiently sized PC can heat the room too. ;-)
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:23 am
chopping and stapling.
Stapling chopped trees? What on earth do you staple them to?

Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 9:01 am
Greetings everyone.

Experience didn't come to me as easily and smoothly as hoped. It feels like there will always be an awkwardness between me and Windows. I'm better at using it as a tool, but compared to the intuitive Apple OS relationship that started around 1989, there will probably always be that formal, slightly suspicious distance I suppose.
It mostly does what I want it to. There is a lot less time for exploring it these days, so progress is slow. I did buy Elite Dangerous but never got the momentum to pierce the membrane. In a few years maybe the body will wear out and I'll be less mobile, and I'll have a good alibi to stay put in place.

The ice-lands can be merciless at times. Summers are rarely fantastic, but they offer a break from periods of cruel cold, like the stretch of ~−20°C that we recently weathered. Chopping wood helps a bit to keep warm, and burning it helps a lot. The right kind gives of good smells and atmosphere. Once it's sufficiently warm inside, we can appreciate the things we have foraged, harvested and hunted. Life may be tough sometimes, but also pleasant.

–Very interesting to skim over some of the things that have taken place here in the year that has passed. Domain foreclosure, a saving move, name auction! Exciting stuff. But you lot resolutely endure. Chapeau, lads.
So how is the wonderful world of alcohol up there in the frigid frozen north? Still enjoying it?

There used to be an Oolite-players group in E:D - I think the Tionisla Historical Society, if I recall correctly (Drew & Selezen used to be involved, but have since left E:D due to unhappiness with recent changes).

There is some interesting new stuff that has also come up in the past year:
- Griff's SpecGloss ships with a Sidewinder showing lack of maintenance
- Phkb's updates of New Cargoes, Tianve (improved Pulsar), the broken top-notch Cataclysm mission & your old Globe & Torus stations
- Phkb's new oxps: Vimana-X HUD, Black Hole

Edited to name the Tionisla Historical Society
Last edited by Cholmondely on Sat Dec 16, 2023 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Comments wanted:
hiran
Theorethicist

Post by hiran »

Cholmondely wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 5:50 pm
chopping and stapling.
Stapling chopped trees? What on earth do you staple them to?
Seems I wanted to use the word 'stacking'....
:oops:
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Wood can warm you three times. When cutting trees and bringing them home. When chopping and stapling. And when burning.

A sufficiently sized PC can heat the room too. ;-)
Most of us here exploit every available heat source. My blingy PC does a good job on that score :D

And when you obsessively stack too high, some manner of stapling becomes necessary.
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:35 pm
So how is the wonderful world of alcohol up there in the frigid frozen north? Still enjoying it?
Alcohol is still lucrative business, in every season but no less the cold and festive ones. Personally I enjoy it in moderation with good company, these last years it hasn't been rewarding when alone. And doing it very seldom means one may allocate the budget to proper heights, so that's quite nice.
Cholmondely wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:35 pm
There is some interesting new stuff that has also come up in the past year:
- Griff's SpecGloss ships with a Sidewinder showing lack of maintenance
- Phkb's updates of New Cargoes, Tianve (improved Pulsar), the broken top-notch Cataclysm mission & your old Globe & Torus stations
- Phkb's new oxps: Vimana-X HUD, Black Hole
Thanks for the news update on the artistic front. All of these seem very enticing and profound enough to marvel at and disappear into for a long time. I hope to be able to do a deep dive soon.