Iron Ass OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: [WIP] Iron Ass OXP

Post by Old Murgh »

cbr wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:04 pm
The left one is more pronounced and the right one more subtle...
Could be a clan of its own, ironass ships with mouth (subtle) and eyes :D
Not just a Gecko clan?
As I keep looking at the original, I think I'll start over and have another go this weekend.
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Old Murgh wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:55 pm
Redspear wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:24 pm
...baby, that's the truth (yes, the truth)
Making something new is such a thrill...
:wink: Can't quite catch which tune..
Everyone's a Winner by Hot Chocolate.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Redspear wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:24 pm
Old Murgh wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:46 pm
everybody's a tweaker
...baby, that's the truth (yes, the truth)
Making something new is such a thrill...
Very groovy tune, didn't know it. 8)

I think I'm satisfied with this one.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

very cool...

Will the serie expand? :?:
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: Iron Ass OXP

Post by Old Murgh »

cbr wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:44 pm
very cool...
Lol. The original art translates well to PROHIP models :wink:

It was a bit of agony to transcribe the manual artwork, and it was only the Gecko and PCC that got that sort of warpaint, so I think leave it with those for now, at least until I manage to wrap up a few of these projects.

[ed]
[WIP]
So I called it on V1.0 for now. Download links updated at the top of the thread. There are a few improvements from the WIP version, small tweaks, an engine barrel upgrade and the late inclusion ship Gecko ALT "Dragonface".
cbr wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:44 pm
As I think on it, I really like the process of drawing onto ships (couldn't do that back in 06, didn't have a nice pad with a pencil), and would like play more with it, but I'd rather try to come up with somewhat different styles of doing it, and not a series of too-similars.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

[WIP] Iron Ass OXP Vol.2

Post by Old Murgh »

I've put the Iron Ass Vol.2 b1 1024 version in a box for anyone who is interested in trying out another new set of old ships made in the old way.

I am guessing the set is a bit familiar to some, I did the models back in 2006 and they've been seen cover versions a few times since, but now they are gritty Iron Asses. More detail on the [EliteWiki] Iron Ass OXP page for the curious.

I personally have long had a fondness for both the Wolf and Cougar (don't call it Cat!) and it has been fun incorporating them again. There have been some balancing acts to make the stats better fit the core set, but I'm open to suggestions if there are thoughts on it. I'll add my altered stats to the relevant wikipages in the coming days.

ImageHere, a Wolf mk.II in a rush to get away from my favourite planet, Oculus Rufus.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: [WIP] Iron Ass OXP Vol.2

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:14 pm
ImageHere, a Wolf mk.II in a rush to get away from my favourite planet, Oculus Rufus.
Oculus Rufus?

Two more questions:

1) What happened with your HOTAS? Did you ever sort out the problems?
2) Do you also have problems with your AppleMac refusing to accept manifest.plists as such?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:14 am
Oculus Rufus?
I thought it sounded fancier, cooler and funnier in Latin: red eye. I think it's an excellent-looking planet.
Cholmondely wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:14 am
1) What happened with your HOTAS? Did you ever sort out the problems?
2) Do you also have problems with your AppleMac refusing to accept manifest.plists as such?
I've accepted the HOTAS as a stick-only experience, which is ok enough considering I need a hand for the touch portal. I'm pretty satisfied.

The manifest.plists is a hurdle still ahead of me since I've never put up an OXZ, not yet.. But why would Mac have a particular problem with that, nothing sets it apart from any other pList, no?
:shock: You do use a pList editor..?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:24 am
But why would Mac have a particular problem with that, nothing sets it apart from any other pList, no?
:shock: You do use a pList editor..?
Seems to happen once in a blue moon. Most recently when I downloaded my own .oxp's but in the past with oxp's I'd tweaked (but not touched the manifest.plist). I tend to use TextEdit, occasionally SubEthaEdit, and have discovered that I've also something called Script Editor which I've not really touched.

SubEthaEdit seems good for Javascript.

Oh - and congratulations on publishing your second installment of IA!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:57 am
Seems to happen once in a blue moon. Most recently when I downloaded my own .oxp's but in the past with oxp's I'd tweaked (but not touched the manifest.plist). I tend to use TextEdit, occasionally SubEthaEdit, and have discovered that I've also something called Script Editor which I've not really touched.

SubEthaEdit seems good for Javascript.

Oh - and congratulations on publishing your second installment of IA!
Thank you. It has been pleasant.

I'd just using think the TextEdit would leave you vulnerable to near invisible errors that takes an alert, experienced eye to spot. I used SubEtha back in the day, but now only running Plist Edit Pro which has yet to produce an error for me.

It lets me edit at any OpenStep or XML in an "easy, translated" (and Mac-handsome) window –with collapsable folder arrows keeping it compact, and prompting that prevents faulty entries. This is great if you're mostly altering and copy/pasting onto a file that was initially working. PLUTIL still hasn't found any faults anyway.
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

WIP Iron Ass OXP Vol.3

Post by Old Murgh »

I uploaded the WIP Volume 3 package, for anyone interested, as well as minortweaked 1.01 of Vol1s and b2 of Vol2 (fresh links at thread top and wiki). Finally IronAssWorld is in accord with the superb RandomShipNames engine.

The latest chunk are the rest of the Giles ships (except Behemoths and such). It's getting to be a long list of testing, trying each and every cockpit –nearly there– but it's pleasing, I like these ships a lot. Please let me know if and when mistakes are spotted.

ImageHere, A PCC narrowly escaping a death comet.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Lovely! Thank you.

I've downloaded all four and your new Lave to give them a try-out. An impressive body of work.

And how super to see the Ship's Library being properly used (enjoyed your laconic descriptions). You and Montana seem to be the only ones to bother with it. Watching your Expat-Adder dance the mazurka is wonderfully weird!

Minor point: 2 typos in Naga description, 1 in Sidewinder-X.
Comments wanted:
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:55 am
Lovely! Thank you.

I've downloaded all four and your new Lave to give them a try-out. An impressive body of work.

And how super to see the Ship's Library being properly used (enjoyed your laconic descriptions). You and Montana seem to be the only ones to bother with it. Watching your Expat-Adder dance the mazurka is wonderfully weird!

Minor point: 2 typos in Naga description, 1 in Sidewinder-X.
Thank you for the kind words. I also find the Xpat wiggle hypnotically satisfying.

And thanks for proofreading (no spellcheck with plist editors). Shall be fixed.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

I habitually have the Systems oxp's loaded (Anarchies, Commies, Feudal States & Dictatorships). You might wish to consider giving their ships a retexture too, in order to make them compatible with your Ooniverse. Or not! But I would guess that most who plump for your entire suite of 4 would also have the systems .oxp's loaded.

I am very pleased with the mix of ships in the fourth .oxp!
Comments wanted:
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:15 pm
I habitually have the Systems oxp's loaded (Anarchies, Commies, Feudal States & Dictatorships). You might wish to consider giving their ships a retexture too, in order to make them compatible with your Ooniverse. Or not! But I would guess that most who plump for your entire suite of 4 would also have the systems .oxp's loaded.
I haven't yet evolved to the point I know how many unique ships these system oxps bring with them, but it sounds like a natural progression. Definitely one for the suggestion list of the next time horrible weather keeps me indoors for days.
There is of course the Rusty Ass series that needs to mirror this one first..
Cholmondely wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:15 pm
I am very pleased with the mix of ships in the fourth .oxp!
I am very pleased you feel that way. BTW, how do you feel about the brand name of the Coral liners? :shock: