Iron Ass OXP

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: [WIP] Iron Ass OXP

Post by Old Murgh »

cbr wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:22 am
the standard shader mulitpliers are set so high they seem to wash out any subtle lighting details.

but as said, one can achieve effects on the diffuse map itself...
We have the luxury of options :)
Seems the most handsome results without jigging the shaders is a combination of the two.
Cody wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 11:42 am
I'm currently using:

Code: Select all

#define MULTIPLIER_LIGHTSRCRADIANCE	2.0
#define MULITPLIER_EXPOSURE		1.0
Would you say this gives you stronger colours and more dramatic tenebrism? :wink:
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

<chuckles> It's certainly better-suited to my poor old eyes! The default shader multipliers are too stark for me, but are probably more "realistic" (shadows on the Moon are black). I prefer a "lights down" look for my Ooniverse, and my ambient lighting is ambient_level = 0.15; (with a distant sun). I also prefer lots more stars so star_count_multiplier = 56; works well for me. That can go much higher, but your graphics card might complain.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cody wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 4:07 pm
<chuckles> It's certainly better-suited to my poor old eyes! The default shader multipliers are too stark for me, but are probably more "realistic" (shadows on the Moon are black). I prefer a "lights down" look for my Ooniverse, and my ambient lighting is ambient_level = 0.15; (with a distant sun). I also prefer lots more stars so star_count_multiplier = 56; works well for me. That can go much higher, but your graphics card might complain.
It opens my eyes to how many aspects can be customised to personal preference. I suppose there's an orchestra of OXPs that can have some influence too.. I guess there's no taking into account all of this.
..We have the luxury of options :)
–which is great. I just wish I was more proficient in the alpha ones. Here is how I end up doing it the old way.
Maybe too saturated?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Saturate by purpose

Old skool Tiger Clan skin on a ironass frame...
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

cbr wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:49 pm
Saturate by purpose
Oh I do want saturation. Just so unsure how toxic it will end up looking for those with custom tweaked shaders :wink:
cbr wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:49 pm
Old skool Tiger Clan skin on a ironass frame...
It takes a certain type of commander to pull off the faux fur look.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Oh I do want saturation. Just so unsure how toxic it will end up looking for those with custom tweaked shaders
That will always be a surprise.
I just wish I was more proficient in the alpha ones. Here is how I end up doing it the old way.
My wish too, but i also cannot (re)create those effects without lowering those shaders multipliers ( yep old lowlight fixedfocus eyes too :) )

This does looks 'better' on this machine ( saturation turned down, greyed out engines, a bit plating and darkening the grey one :idea:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Old Murgh wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:33 pm
It opens my eyes to how many aspects can be customised to personal preference.
It's those little tweaks to the core game that can make so much difference.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

cbr wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:50 pm
This does looks 'better' on this machine ( saturation turned down, greyed out engines, a bit plating and darkening the grey one :idea:
Do you think it looks bette without the corrosion affecting the engines? They look a little weird to me together all factory fresh. I thought I was maybe lazy to limiting the decay to them and not rusting down the lasers, before I decided that even the most sloppy pilot keeps his weapon polished.

But yes, it seems the other elements could stand having the colour intensity decreased a little. I'll make the call after seeing enough of them appearing in space. To me it's easier when you fine-tune it with a photoshop slider rather than the mystic world of alphas and shaders.
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Do you think it looks bette without the corrosion affecting the engines?
Somehow i envisioned the engine cover a different kind of alloy plating
To me it's easier when you fine-tune it with a photoshop slider rather than the mystic world of alphas and shaders.
So true!

It is still difficult for me to visualize the endresult in combining diffuse/specular/gloss without a realtime visual image.
But
It's those little tweaks to the core game that can make so much difference.
it also results in some unpredictable fun and amazing oolite imagery!
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

cbr wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:33 pm
Do you think it looks bette without the corrosion affecting the engines?
Somehow i envisioned the engine cover a different kind of alloy plating
They might have used that for the whole ship :D
Well, real science doesn't apply in rustyspace. The judgement comes down to aesthetics. Trying a slightly more sooty approach, but considering I've already done the architecture for 3 types of corrosion for each of the 8 different engine types, I'm a bit invested. The oldfashioned way is possibly not the most practical way.

But I'm open to any unpredictable fun and amazing accident.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Old Murgh wrote: Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:33 pm
..We have the luxury of options :)
–which is great. I just wish I was more proficient in the alpha ones. Here is how I end up doing it the old way.
Maybe too saturated?
FWIW...

Although the leftmost texture is initially the one I find the least appealing, it is probably the one that best represents a beat up, well used vessel that's skimmed too many stars, and taken too many hits, to maintain anything other than a pitted surface and an absent paintjob.

It also might be the one that will be the least jarring when replicated throughout a whole shipset; not that you'd have to take that approach of course...
Perhaps the freighters have the brown, rusty look for whatever reason you care too imagine, just to further distinguish them from the smaller vessels which could be a a grey, weathered alloy look?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Redspear wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:13 pm
Although the leftmost texture is initially the one I find the least appealing, it is probably the one that best represents a beat up, well used vessel that's skimmed too many stars, and taken too many hits, to maintain anything other than a pitted surface and an absent paintjob.

It also might be the one that will be the least jarring when replicated throughout a whole shipset; not that you'd have to take that approach of course...
Perhaps the freighters have the brown, rusty look for whatever reason you care too imagine, just to further distinguish them from the smaller vessels which could be a a grey, weathered alloy look?
Thanks for the input. I rather like the "white" look, and I'm thinking maybe I should try for even more calcification like in cbr's pics.
Yes, one must each decide one's favoured justification for such a phenomenon, yours has rationale.

Or, I guess, since the Adder, Moray, Sidewinder, Transporter all supposedly can enter atmospheres, they might be the ones with oxygen-related corrosion.

Ah, I'll probably put out all 3 styles of each of the set and see how it looks. Anyone who wants to use them can discard the ones they don't want. I reckon everybody's a tweaker.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Old Murgh wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:46 pm
Ah, I'll probably put out all 3 styles of each of the set and see how it looks. Anyone who wants to use them can discard the ones they don't want
It's hard to argue with that.
Old Murgh wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 9:46 pm
everybody's a tweaker
...baby, that's the truth (yes, the truth)
Making something new is such a thrill...
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Redspear wrote: Mon Mar 07, 2022 10:24 pm
...baby, that's the truth (yes, the truth)
Making something new is such a thrill...
:wink: Can't quite catch which tune..

I'm attempting another Ironass homage to the unknown illustrator of the Space Traders Flight Training Manual, the dragonfaced Gecko..
Anyone have an opinion on which technique works best for the mouth hole?
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

The left one is more pronounced and the right one more subtle...

Could be a clan of its own, ironass ships with mouth (subtle) and eyes :D