Sudden jump in number of kills

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

BooDog
Poor
Poor

Sudden jump in number of kills

Post by BooDog »

Has anyone seen the number of kills (and rating) suddenly change without apparently doing anything to earn them?

I started with a fresh "Jameson" a few weeks ago, been slowly getting the hang of the game, building money and kills, and also playing with the balance of OXPs/OXZs to get the "feel" right for my tastes.

At Competent (256) I was offered the traditional "Constrictor" first mission. (On my long gone Apple //e I'm sure I remember "Curruthers" being "Carruthers", and the reward being a "Military Energy Unit" or some-such, but that's not the point here ...)

Anyway, this evening I duly completed the Constrictor mission, with kudos from HIMSN, and then set off to trade around Chart 2 looking for something else to do. At some point this evening I was Competent (272), last figure that stuck in my mind. Then ... hosed a bunch of pirates just planet side from the witchpoint at Tezaeded, and after cruising in and docking noticed that I was suddenly Dangerous (531).

Where in space did those extra kills come from? No Q-bombs or anything like that were used, just Military Lasers and plain ol' 30 Credit missiles.

At this point, if there's no rational explanation for the unearned jump in kills and status I'll either restore last backup and play forward again, or edit the save game file back to the remembered 272.
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Re: Sudden jump in number of kills

Post by another_commander »

The 256 kills is the reward for completing the Constrictor mission. It is entirely intentional, so there should be no need to edit your savefile.
BooDog
Poor
Poor

Post by BooDog »

Oh right - that wasn't clear to me at all! I noticed the jump and my programming brain just screamed "corruption!!!".

This whole post can quite happily be clobbered, its just noise.

Thanks!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

It is a rather strange reward though! Just another quirk, I suppose.
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
BooDog
Poor
Poor

Post by BooDog »

Actually feels a bit like cheating. The Constrictor isn't hard enough to be worth 256 kills!

I just assumed it was a bug! Oops :roll:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

BooDog wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:55 pm
Actually feels a bit like cheating. The Constrictor isn't hard enough to be worth 256 kills!

If I hadn't read about the extra kills elsewhere, I too would have assumed it was a bug.
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Just took a quick look at the core missiontext.plist. The 256 kills reward is not mentioned anywhere in the Constrictor Mission section. Perhaps a bit of an edit is in order prior to the next release so as to avoid any future confusions. The following is from around line 20 of the aforementioned missiontext.plist and is humbly submitted for general perusal and approval, edits always welcome.
"constrictor_hunt_debrief" = "---INCOMING MESSAGE\n\nCongratulations Commander!\n\nThere will always be a place for you in Her Imperial Majesty’s Space Navy.\n\nAnd maybe sooner than you think…\n\nThe Elite Federation is being contacted and 256 Kills will be added to your score as compensation for your time and effort in this matter.\n\nWe hope this sudden increase in your Elite Rating does not lead to any unforeseen encounters.\n\n---MESSAGE ENDS.";
Done up as a quote due to the lack of formatting in the code option which puts all of the above into a single line.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cody

Post by Cody »

5,000 Credits would be a better reward, but there was probably some arcane reasoning behind the 256 kills.
It does of course bump the player up a level to Dangerous - is that why? Right on, Commander!
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

5000 Cr is already a part of the mission reward. The full reward list for this mission is:
- 5000 Cr added to commander's balance
- 256 kills awarded
- legal status force-reset to clean
Cody

Post by Cody »

Damn, I should've known that - but it's been many years since I ran that mission.
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

In light of another_commander's previous post here is a revised version from my previous post.
"constrictor_hunt_debrief" = "---INCOMING MESSAGE\n\nCongratulations Commander!\n\nThere will always be a place for you in Her Imperial Majesty’s Space Navy.\n\nAnd perhaps sooner than you think...\n\nAs compensation for your time and effort in this matter 5000 ₢ are being transferred to your account.\n\nThe Elite Federation is also being contacted so that 256 Kills can be added to your score.\n\nWe hope this sudden increase in your Elite Rating does not lead to any unforeseen encounters.\n\nAny trouble you might be in as a result of this mission or other circumstances has been removed from the appropriate databases returning your legal status to Clean.\n\nWe will contact you should any other interesting needs arise.\n\n ---MESSAGE ENDS.";
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Cmdr Wyvern
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Cmdr Wyvern »

BooDog wrote: Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:55 pm

The Constrictor is a difficult target to get your sights on: Low profile and fast like a scalded cat. Then on first contact, the bugger makes a strafing flyby, flashes you the middle digit, lights the injectors and makes you chase him down.

When you catch up, the battle is anything but epic: Those super shields the Navy agent went on about turn out to be a great dud, and the Constrictor goes down with a few well aimed shots. Sure, you fitted the suggested mil laser... then it feels like coulda punked that bum with a super soaker water gun! :lol:

Waaaaay back in the day when I played Elite on a C-64, the Constrictor wasn't any faster than your Cobra, didn't have injectors, and he was as tough as an old boot, with a heck of a lot of endurance. He made you work for those kill points alright.
Running Oolite buttery smooth & rock stable w/ tons of eyecandy oxps on:
ASUS Prime X370-A
Ryzen 5 1500X
16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
128GB NVMe M.2 SSD (Boot drive)
1TB Hybrid HDD (For software and games)
EVGA GTX-1070 SC
1080P Samsung large screen monitor