griff SpecGloss ships

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Re: griff SpecGloss ships

Post by Griff »

Thanks for spotting that problem with the filename Commander_X :D I'll get that fixed

Nearly there now i hope, just need to oxz-ify it all - I've reuploaded the test oxp with the TradeFactor ship deterioration effect for the player version

I don't think it's worth adding for the NPC's, it'll just mean us the player meets a bunch of grey sidewinder ships all the time, I want these to be fairly colourfull :lol:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

Griff wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 2:48 pm
I don't think it's worth adding for the NPC's, it'll just mean us the player meets a bunch of grey sidewinder ships all the time, I want these to be fairly colourfull :lol:
Why not? Perhaps keep the random threshold at the colourfull side?
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

heh that's a good point! :)
I've added the tradefactor effects to the NPC's as well and updated the download, might as well have the shader there for reference even if it turns out to be somethig we're not keen on using, actually it looks like maybe editing the scale of this shader uniform for the NPC ship will control just how much paint they loose, i've got it set to this at the moment

Code: Select all

uTradeFactor = { type = "randomFloat"; scale = 0.8;};

but setting the scale to 1.0 would proably result in some ships with nearly all the paint worn away something lower like 0.2 or 0.3 would just end up with ships with just some dusty splots on them at most :lol:

Edit:
Expansion Manager version now uploaded, use the filter option to search on the keyword specgloss to find it quickly.
The OXZ includes a player flyable version but the Sidewinder isn't hyperspace capable so i wouldn't recommend buying one, at least not on your main commander save :)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Added a WIP "SpecGloss" Mamba - uses Oolite's Materials for its shader effects. Textures are still a bit big at the moment

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... share_link
NPC and a player flyable test version

Modding resources are in the same folder - not needed for gameplay :D
thecoredump
Above Average
Above Average

Post by thecoredump »

Very very nice 8)
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

I've stalled for a long time on the texturing of this one, got a bit of a writers block thing going on or something but hopefully it's a cobra mk1 next :D
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks Redspear :)
Well, I got this textured in the end - without realising it, i managed to hit a couple of nasty polygon shading errors after trippling the object some of which i wasn't able to fix after seeing the object in game, so the top side has a couple of nasty looking patches as it starts to turn into shadow :(

screenshot from the oolite load commander page (doesn't show the shading errors):

OXP and modding resources here...
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

...everything is in the Cobrak_Mk1 sub folder, hope i've got the sharing settings right in google drive :)

You just need the griff_HP_CobraMK1_Oolite_Materials_V01.zip download to see the ship in game, extract the griff_HP_CobraMK1_Materials_V0.1.oxp subfolder from the download and put it in your Oolite AddOns folder.
Uninstall the oxp by deleting that folder from your AddOns
another_commander
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral
Quite Grand Sub-Admiral

Post by another_commander »

Very nice ship! Here are some sreenshots to show its various incarnations off:

Standard:

Alternative:

Miner:

I really dig the metallic plate materials and the cockpit glass on those. You seem to have totally mastered spec-gloss maps, Griff.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

That cockpit really suits this model IMHO.
Love the spacing betwen the plates 8)

Looks like cbr's next patient has arrived :wink:
thecoredump
Above Average
Above Average

Post by thecoredump »

Freaking awesome !
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Thanks guys, it definately helps with the spec gloss settings that the texture maps 'substance painter' generates work straight out the box in Oolite, plus it handles all the spec gloss stuff,so i'm just moving some sliders around :)

I've uploaded a v0.2 to the same folder, I wanted to fix the shading errors on those two top panels either side of the "cockpit panel", i hadn't realied the polygons were so twisted, it really showed up when i turned the whole model into triangles for exporting into Oolite, here's what i mean and have hopefully fixed - the dark shadowy triangles and lines across those two top white panels:
DGill
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by DGill »

Another masterpiece by the maestro :D
Griff
Oolite 2 Art Director
Oolite 2 Art Director

Post by Griff »

Had a go at a Gecko, oxp and modding resources in the same folder as the others
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... uFRRw3NxB7

struggled a lot with this one :( was hoping i'd be getting better but this was a real battle to model, loads of false starts - think there's a better design for a gecko out there, might come back to this one
OXP is very WIP, textures are still massive and havent been resized from being exported out of substance, oxp has a player flyable version but the shipyard.plist prices and restrictions are just made up!
Couldn't get a decent shot of it in game without the textures looking all blurry? might have something set wrong in my game, so hope it's ok to post one from the 3d app