Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Hints OXZ (Development Thread)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Re: Education

Post by Redspear »

Old Murgh wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:56 am
I guess there is the yiddish use of schnook meaning a stupid or unimportant person...
Of course, the convention as regards offence is a bit messed up anyway. Namely, you can be as rude as you like just not towards anyone in particular.

Still, if we can avoid obvious offence then let's.
spara
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by spara »

I'm fairly sure this

Code: Select all

this.showBar = function() {
mission.runScreen({
title: "The Local Bar",
screenID:"show_bar",
background: "litf_bg_localbar.png", //This adds the bar image behind the message
	})
}
should be this

mission.runScreen({
background: "litf_bg_localbar.png" //This adds the bar image behind the message
	})
}
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

spara wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:22 am
I'm fairly sure this

mission.runScreen({
background: "litf_bg_localbar.png", //This adds the bar image behind the message
	})
}
should be this

mission.runScreen({
background: "litf_bg_localbar.png" //This adds the bar image behind the message
	})
}
Spot on! That did it, thanks!
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

phkb wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:05 am
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:05 pm
And as before, Nada! not even a Knackwürste! Nothing!
But "foo" worked just fine.
Based on your githib repository, the "descriptions.plist" file should be inside the "Config" folder, not at the root level.
So I tried Spara's fix first - my missing comma was the problem.

The descriptions.plist works fine where it is (but that's on my AppleMac). For the life of me (I can't find it now), I'm sure that I saw another working .oxp with the descriptions.plist outside the config folder. I intend to move it, since you've suggested it (and it seems to be the general convention), but can't even rename the education.copy to education on github, so I'll need to remember to do it for the publication on the Expansions Manager.
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

hiran wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:30 am
You might want to add some drawn-out jokes so there are more conversations that can be overheard but not all of them transport 'wisdom'. ;-)
Alas, Digebiti is notorious for its lack of any sense of humour (hence the duelling pistols and the constant balloon activity at the University of Old Salisbury)

Any suggestions will be gratefully added (and full acknowledgement given).

I went for 'goids as it also alliterates with ghastly glowing green
Comments wanted:
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:12 am
I'm in ghastly glowing green...
<cocks a snook at Cholly> Ghastly indeed!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Almost ready to publish (the drinks can wait...) thanks to LB, Spara, Montana05 & phkb.

Does the title (Education.oxp) make sense, or is it misleading?
Comments wanted:
Cody

Post by Cody »

Perhaps just call it Bar Talk, and in its description elucidate?
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:02 am
Almost ready to publish (the drinks can wait...) thanks to LB, Spara, Montana05 & phkb.

Does the title (Education.oxp) make sense, or is it misleading?
What work ethic!

The title seems a bit broad and maybe promises something with more direct structure. How about something along the lines of Clues, Hints, Overheard or IlluminatingEavesdropper ?
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:29 pm
The title seems a bit broad and maybe promises something with more direct structure. How about something along the lines of Clues or Hints or IlluminatingEavesdropper ?
Maybe "Hints from the Bar"?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Adding this one in:
avder wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:30 am
Paladin Tux wrote:
Injectors are outright fun. I could use them to help me ram...

I have just had an amazing OXP idea!
If you're gonna ram something, probably not a good idea to ram at injector speeds :mrgreen:

Whenever my cargo is full and I come across a thargon warship and end up with a bunch of unpowered fighters, I've found it's fastest to just ram them at full (non-injector) speed to kill them and pick up the 50 credit bounty. Costs like a few units of shield, which are regenerated within moments. If you ram one while at full injector speed you lose your whole shield, and that's with both the shield boosters and military shield enhancement :mrgreen:
And various bits of this one:
avder wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:47 am
I got rich doing parcel couriers and doing the fur/computer swap between rich industrial and poor ag on the way.

One tip tho, make sure you have the injector add on, and also use the "shortest route" mode on the chart to help you plan route. The reason for that being that, ideally, you want at least a third a tank of fuel whenever you jump to a new system in case of an over the top ambush. If you do multiple contracts at once you will soon see what I mean.

You could also start carrying energy bombs or quirium cascade mines, just make sure you don't launch them with vipers in range or you'll end up a fugitive potentially instantly.

It's also a really good idea to get good at combat against multiple targets at once. Get the shield boosters and extra energy unit. An ECM unit is mandatory. Once you can afford it, you'll want the military shield boosters as well. When you are targeted and you either don't want to or can't run away, get close to them quickly so they furball around you. As long as you don't fly straight they have a very hard time hitting you. Only ever fly straight while you are firing your laser, and only fire when you are 100% on target.

I also recommend you get lasers on your port and starboard sides. They come in very handy against ships that show you a generous amount of profile while flying next to you like the fer-de-lance, asp, and both types of cobra. Just remember that you will be steering up and down with roll instead of pitch while looking to either side of your ship.

As far as missiles, it's up to preference. I've found that either the regular or ECM types realistically only have a chance of a kill against pirates. Against the hit squads, you can expect them to have injectors to outrun your missiles as well as an ECM. The only thing missiles are good for against them is to get them off your back for a while.

Members of hit squads also tend to inject away when they get low on energy. Get good at sniping so you can kill them while they are running away. They'll be back in a minute after they've regenerated otherwise. They're cowards who refuse to meet their end with dignity, and its entertaining to watch them beg for their lives.
Comments wanted:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

"Bar Talk" just stuck(s)...

Bar Talk with your friendly host from Digebiti ( a foreseeable GNN channel :idea: )

rinse those glasses and open up!
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »

:lol:
cbr
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by cbr »