Join us at the Oolite Anniversary Party -- London, 7th July 2024, 1pm
More details in this thread.

Hints OXZ (Development Thread)

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Re: Education

Post by Old Murgh »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:32 pm
This is now available for download here: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File: ... .0.092.oxz

Wiki Page is here: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Hints
Hey. First OXP! Congratulations!
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Old Murgh wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:59 pm
Cholmondely wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:32 pm
This is now available for download here: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File: ... .0.092.oxz

Wiki Page is here: https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/Hints
Hey. First OXP! Congratulations!

Ahem!

Lore Collection (Classic Elite)
Addons for Beginners (Vital Statistics)
Broadcast Comms - Digebiti Variations

I just hope that this one proves useful!

But Phkb and the rest have made it all possible. Left on my tod... Image
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Old Murgh
Wiki Wizard
Wiki Wizard

Post by Old Murgh »

Oh, :oops:
How embarrassing.

Well..
Congratulations with yet another OXP release! :D
I was young, I was naïve. [EliteWiki] Jonny Cuba made me do it!
Cody
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin
Sharp Shooter Spam Assassin

Post by Cody »

Oh dear! Cholly's gone emoji-crazy!
I would advise stilts for the quagmires, and camels for the snowy hills
And any survivors, their debts I will certainly pay. There's always a way!
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

Cody wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:26 pm
Oh dear! Cholly's gone emoji-crazy!
Copied from SandJ's old posts - he has some super ones!
Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
cag
Deadly
Deadly

Post by cag »

You've got (private) mail!
"Better to be thought a fool, boy, than to open your trap and remove all doubt." - Grandma [over time, just "Shut your trap... fool"]
"The only stupid questions are the ones you fail to ask." - Dad
How do I...? Nevermind.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

cag wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:22 pm
You've got (private) mail!
Thanks for the note that I'd made a mess of uploading Hints & Steampunk for downloading. Turned out I'd forgotten to put the real page-names for the wiki: I'd put in https://wiki.alioth.net/index.php/File: ... unkHUD.oxz (the simple version) rather than https://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/3/ ... unkHUD.oxz (more complex, and on the AppleMac gettable from the command+i information box for the downloaded file).

But, I'm now being told that it won't download because it is missing the manifest.plist - which it has, and which seems to work fine on my machine (no error messages when I play the game about the relevant manifest.plist...).

Too tired now to sort it out (just drove all the way up to Yorkshire and back again to visit a cemetery - no, not the Tionisla Orbital!). Hope to have another stab at it tomorrow. Thanks again for the "Heads-Up"!
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

I just installed hints without any problems. Good job, enjoyable to read. :) In a future release, you might want the exit screen to be F4 and change Activities to Misc in the manifest, but that's really marginal.
Scars remind us where we've been. They don't have to dictate where we're going.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:01 am
I just installed hints without any problems. Good job, enjoyable to read. :) In a future release, you might want the exit screen to be F4 and change Activities to Misc in the manifest, but that's really marginal.
Umm... yes, I'd concluded that my manifest.plist problems were either personal or AppleMac issues. Thanks for the encouragement!

How do I change the exit screen? I had no idea that I could do that!

I bunged it in as activities as I was influenced by Life in the Frontier, which I'd eventually like to make it part of. Was that silly of me?
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:17 pm
I bunged it in as activities as I was influenced by Life in the Frontier, which I'd eventually like to make it part of. Was that silly of me?
Personally, I like it under activities, but currently it shows up in the expansion manager under misc. A simple update in the expansion manager input mask will do the trick.

Code: Select all

mission.runScreen
(
     {
	screenID: "strange_encounter_start",
	title: "A strange encounter ...", 
	overlay: encounterImage,
	choices: options,
	exitScreen: "GUI_SCREEN_STATUS"
     },
)
As you see above, you can define an exit screen, just add the name of the page you intend to show up after exiting the bar.
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

I am currently kind of busy, so except 1 h in the morning while drinking my coffee, I don't have much time for coding. However, here is an update for you:

this.showBar = function() {
mission.runScreen({
title: "The Local Bar",
screenID:"show_bar",
overlay: "litf_bg_localbar.png", //This adds the bar image behind the message
exitScreen: "GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES",  // will go back to the F4 screen rather than to the main screen
                  })
}
This will exit the bar screen to F4 rather than to the main screen

Btw, your ReadME.txt is kind of corrupted for a simple Win user like me. While readable, it shows all hidden characters as well.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

montana05 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:09 am
I am currently kind of busy, so except 1 h in the morning while drinking my coffee, I don't have much time for coding. However, here is an update for you:

this.showBar = function() {
mission.runScreen({
title: "The Local Bar",
screenID:"show_bar",
overlay: "litf_bg_localbar.png", //This adds the bar image behind the message
exitScreen: "GUI_SCREEN_INTERFACES",  // will go back to the F4 screen rather than to the main screen
                  })
}
This will exit the bar screen to F4 rather than to the main screen

Btw, your ReadME.txt is kind of corrupted for a simple Win user like me. While readable, it shows all hidden characters as well.
Thanks for the code. I'll give it a stab!

Sorry about this. The AppleMac's TextEdit always used to produce .txt. files and could do nothing with .rtf's - they have "improved it" and thus made it useless. I might have a better way of producing ReadMe's...
Comments wanted:
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

LittleBear wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:45 pm
I think news broadcasts with GNN would be quite an immersive way of introducing these sort of things. Information about missions at special stations could be done with a news item reporting on the fact. Guidance on how to do cargo contracts could be given indirectly by the news reporting on the mis-fortunes of a commander who made a mess of it (sued, assassins sent after him or just a paid for content item by the disgruntled client as to how useless he is). GNN's OXZ does the donkey work, so a simple script like this will feed news items to it over time:

Under this.startupcomplete set up a news variable as 0 if not already defined. This gives you an easy way to check that each news item in your script is only given once. Under exiting.hyperspace increment a timer each time a jump is made so you can spread out the flavour news items so they don't pop up all at once.

Then you just need a test like this under exiting hyperspace:-

// Send the 2nd (Rooters) Broadcast to GNN.- Is Sent as a Prioity 1 once 4 jumps have been made since Broadcast 1 was sent.
if (missionVariables.random_station_names_news === 2 &&  missionVariables.random_station_names_timer > 3) {
missionVariables.random_station_names_timer = 0;
var news = new Object;
news.ID = this.name;
news.Message = expandDescription("[random_station_names_2_news]");
news.Agency = 2;
news.Priority = 1;
this.passScreen(news,1); 
// The same method is used as above.
}
// Send the 3rd (Tionisla Chronicle) Broadcast to GNN.- Is Sent as a Prioity 1 once 6 jumps have been made since Broadcast 2 was sent.
if (missionVariables.random_station_names_news === 3 &&  missionVariables.random_station_names_timer > 5) {
missionVariables.random_station_names_timer = 0;
var news = new Object;
news.ID = this.name;
news.Message = expandDescription("[random_station_names_3_news]");
news.Agency = 4;
news.Priority = 1;
this.passScreen(news,1); 
// The same method is used as above.
}

And so on for however many news broadcasts you want to write.
Now copy and past in the function below to send the news items to GNN when the conditions are met:

this.passScreen = function(news,mode)
{var a = worldScripts.GNN._insertNews(news);
if(!a){ if(mode) missionVariables.random_station_names_news++;  // If GNN conforms sucess, advance the News Counting variable to the next Broadcast.
return;
} else {if(a<0){ // If the buffer was full then the mission variable counting the News Broadcasts wasn't advanced. Once the player has made the required number of jumps Random Station names will check again.
return;
}}}
Thats all you need by way of a script.

In a descriptions file write the text for your news broadcasts. All you need is a:-

"random_station_names_1_news" = "Type in your text!";
"random_station_names_2_news" = "Type in your text for the next one";

And so on for however many broadcasts you want to send.

I want to start weaving in the GNN broadcasts, but the instructions above talk about bunging them in a descriptions.plist.

But I already have a descriptions.plist with the bar talk.

How do I keep the two lists (bar talk & GNN broadcasts) distinct so that they don't get confused and work as they are intended?
Comments wanted:
montana05
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by montana05 »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:30 pm
I want to start weaving in the GNN broadcasts, but the instructions above talk about bunging them in a descriptions.plist.

But I already have a descriptions.plist with the bar talk.

How do I keep the two lists (bar talk & GNN broadcasts) distinct so that they don't get confused and work as they are intended?
Every entry to the descriptions.plist (and there could be multiple) is basically an array, so you just need to open a new one, maybe "hints_bar_GNN" and use this one for the broadcasts.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Apologies. I'm not yet up to adding the GNN broadcasts (don't understand how to, and my timid experiments failed dismally as usual), or the costs of the drinks (again, don't understand how to). Or experimenting with different backdrops (again, my timid experiments here have failed).

Next Stage.

I'd like to start adding Hints for some of the other OXPs.

Eg:

Commies: "SLAPU's have jolly good prices if you want to buy computers, CZGF's have the same for machinery".
Deep Space Dredger: "I made a fortune selling food and liquors to one of these - and then buying alloys for rock-bottom prices there. But docking was jolly dangerous... I ended up buying an ILS"
SothisTC + New Cargoes: "I dropped into one of those rather natty Sothis Stations last week. Did you know that they are only at Corporate States? Well, this one had a rather nice map of the Galaxy in the disembarkment lounge and there was free access to that TradeNet journal. I saw a piece about good deals in Vargon mind-silk - and made a small fortune!" SothisTC is not yet an .oxz with a manifest.plist on the Expansions Manager

How would I do this?
Comments wanted: