Demand Driven Economy OXZ

Discussion and information relevant to creating special missions, new ships, skins etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Re: Demand Driven Economy OXZ

Post by Cholmondely »

Wiki page now updated
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

I say, old bean, if you are seriously going through the galaxy marking up every single bally F7 screen, might it not make more sense to do so with regard to the original lore and incorporate that into the individual planetary markets?
Cholmondely wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:06 am
And then more recondite stuff for specific planets with hints in their F7 descriptions:
Ontimaxe (This planet is reasonably famous for its inhabitants' exceptional love for food blenders) should pay well for machinery.
Ceedra (This planet is most fabled for its inhabitants' ingrained silliness but scourged by deadly civil war) wants firearms.
Anarlaqu (This world is mildly famous for its hoopy night life and its exotic night life.) - luxuries.
Begeabi (Begeabi is very notable for its inhabitants' weird silliness) - textiles.
Isveve (The planet Isveve is reasonably noted for its inhabitants' eccentric shyness and its inhabitants' eccentric shyness) - obviously desperate for computers...

Comments wanted:
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:22 pm
I say, old bean, if you are seriously going through the galaxy marking up every single bally F7 screen, might it not make more sense to do so with regard to the original lore and incorporate that into the individual planetary markets?
Well, it depends on what you read from them I think.
For example...
Ontimaxe (This planet is reasonably famous for its inhabitants' exceptional love for food blenders) should pay well for machinery.
Are food blenders machinery or luxuries? And when I buy 1TC of machinery is it full of food blenders? It could be, but that's neither reflected nor desired by this oxp.

Ceedra (This planet is most fabled for its inhabitants' ingrained silliness but scourged by deadly civil war) wants firearms.
This appears more straightforward but are they having a civil war right now? If they are then demand should be up but if so then are they also a confederate state? Bit safe for a civil war don't you think? It could still make sense but then so could firearms not being in demand right now.

Anarlaqu (This world is mildly famous for its hoopy night life and its exotic night life.) - luxuries.
...or liquor/wines ...or narcotics.

Begeabi (Begeabi is very notable for its inhabitants' weird silliness) - textiles.
Er... ok... maybe...

Isveve (The planet Isveve is reasonably noted for its inhabitants' eccentric shyness and its inhabitants' eccentric shyness) - obviously desperate for computers...
Unless it manufactures and exports them of course...

And that's the absolutely crucial flaw/quirk/design choice with this oxp: it features demand much, much more prominently than supply.

It's not an oversight, it's entirely deliberate because by my estimation it may be less realistic but it's much more fun. It means that the pilot regualrly has a choice of profitable destinations, of variable danger level, within either one jump or two. If I put as much detail into supply (as I have considered in the past) then it would be more like plotting a 5 jump route to the nearest poor agricultural that isn't a death-trap and in a 'galaxy' that would likely then seem much smaller. There are contracts for that type of play, and it can be lots of fun, but 'regular' trade should offer something different IMHO.

So for all those systems that love food blenders/tourists/firearms/parking meters etc. I would humbly suggest that many of them make their own (maybe not for tourists but even that could techincally be true)... And when they do match up with my alterations well then they're clearly importing 8)

There's some great stuff in YAH, perhaps my favourite was, "Elite IV... Coming Soon."
Nite Owl
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Nite Owl »

Might it be suggested that in the next release you make use of the "new line" [ \n ] JavaScript code before your additions to the F7 screen. It is not really necessary but would go a bit of a ways toward differentiating between what the game itself puts on the F7 screen and your well thought out additions.

Code: Select all

mission.addMessageText("\n Rich systems are seldom this politically unstable. Reliable forms of investment are much sought after by discerning buyers.");
Your choice on whether to make this change or not. Once downloaded the text will most likely get my personalized TWEAK treatment in either case. Thanks Once Again for a well thought out addition to Oolite.
Humor is the second most subjective thing on the planet

Brevity is the soul of wit and vulgarity is wit's downfall

Good Night and Good Luck - Read You Soon
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Nite Owl wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 4:50 am
Might it be suggested that in the next release you make use of the "new line" [ \n ] JavaScript code before your additions to the F7 screen. It is not really necessary but would go a bit of a ways toward differentiating between what the game itself puts on the F7 screen and your well thought out additions.
I wasn't aware of that option so I'll likely give it a try. The text is already yellow rather than green, which should help most people to differentiate but then it might just look better if done as you suggest.

Space is a consideration of course, especially as other oxps might wish to do similar.

Once downloaded the text will most likely get my personalized TWEAK treatment in either case.
It's what I'd do :)

Thanks Once Again for a well thought out addition to Oolite.
You're very welcome.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

• v 1.4 available
    • further boosted number of f7 descriptions up to approx 120
Nite Owl sent me some ideas with regards to possible improvements and although I've yet to adopt any of them that doesn't mean that I haven't taken inspiration from them...

With more variability around the f7 screen descriptions I could be both crytic (as was the case in my earlier meassages) as well as occasionally explicit (as with some of the newer messages), thereby gaining something from both approaches. The fact that economy type is consistent with demand means that this approach can work as opposed to otherwise appearing random.

What?! Never mind the reactors, how could it fail to mention
the girls
???
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Brewing an update ATM but meanwhile...

Does anyone know how to make the second paragraph of the description below display in green text?

FWIW, I'm using mission.addMessageText to display the additional text.
I like the last paragraph being in yellow but not the second.
phkb
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Impressively Grand Sub-Admiral
Location: Writing more OXPs, because the world needs more OXPs.

Post by phkb »

Redspear wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:48 pm
You can make the last para green, but you'd have to compromise by making it para 1.
ie.

// updating Atrienxe
System.infoForSystem(0, 88).description += "\nDemands: Radioactives; Liquor/Wines; Textiles; Furs";
It would then put that info directly beneath the system description in green. Your additional para would then appear below it in yellow.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

phkb wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:07 pm
Redspear wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:48 pm
You can make the last para green, but you'd have to compromise by making it para 1.
I wanted the last one to be yellow (see above) but it hardly matters...

phkb wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:07 pm

// updating Atrienxe
System.infoForSystem(0, 88).description += "\nDemands: Radioactives; Liquor/Wines; Textiles; Furs";
It would then put that info directly beneath the system description in green. Your additional para would then appear below it in yellow.
Tricky to get this to work when I'm using multiple conditions to asign the descriptions, rather than specific system designations (such as 0, 88).

Thanks anyway.
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

• v 1.5 now available https://wiki.alioth.net/img_auth.php/3/ ... conomy.oxz
    • Improved compatability - code courtesy of phkb
    • Improved clarity - idea courtesy of Nite Owl
    • Another 40 planet descriptions linked to government and economy types - questionable humour courtesy of yours truly
    • Text colour adjustment will have to wait at least until next time...

Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:34 pm
[*]Another 40 planet descriptions linked to government and economy types - questionable humour courtesy of yours truly
You might wish to make sure that your planet descriptions also work for the Povray Planet Textures. I've been working through the 40-odd Feudal States trying to match descriptions for Vanilla textures (if that is what they are) and Povray. There is quite some variance, needless to say.

And I'm hoping that Povray will eventually end up either on the Expansions Manager and/or linked to one of Hiran's little buttons...
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:49 pm
You might wish to make sure that your planet descriptions also work for the Povray Planet Textures. I've been working through the 40-odd Feudal States trying to match descriptions for Vanilla textures (if that is what they are) and Povray. There is quite some variance, needless to say.
It should be irrelevant.

My descriptions are based purely on my interpretation of the economy and government type of a system. If I was mentioning gas giants, rain-forests or pink oceans then you'd be right.

BTW, I'll update the wiki page later, so no need to touch it for now.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist

Post by Cholmondely »

Redspear wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:26 pm
It should be irrelevant.
You seem to be in luck. Your description of Aate also seems to fit Povray's Aate.
Comments wanted:
Redspear
---- E L I T E ----
---- E L I T E ----

Post by Redspear »

Cholmondely wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:52 pm
Redspear wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:26 pm
It should be irrelevant.
You seem to be in luck. Your description of Aate also seems to fit Povray's Aate.
OK, I see how you've read it now. Perhaps I should have written, 'The distinctive appearance of the locals...'
Next update perhaps.