Regarding the stutter I'm experiencing (visible in my videos)

For test results, bug reports, announcements of new builds etc.

Moderators: another_commander, winston, Getafix

zx_cb
Competent
Competent

Re: Regarding the stutter I'm experiencing (visible in my videos)

Post by zx_cb »

Should be noted here, I experienced frequent crashes with multiple "script out of memory" errors in a log, and an average FPS around 20. That is on a 6-core 7800X, 64GB RAM and slime-cooled GTX1080. 300-some OXPs installed and one NOT installed is Useful MFDs. Increasing script memory allocation to 256 sorted both issues.

Dear Mr. Wiki Master, maybe that is the kind of info that should not be hidden in the bellows of unpretending "Hidden Settings" article, with "out of memory" search returning fruitless.

Or, maybe that setting should be increased on developer level, provided most modern machines rarely run less then 8 or even 16GB memory, and sparing new player of digging into the board and the script. Just saying.
Cholmondely
Archivist
Archivist
Location: The Delightful Domains of His Most Britannic Majesty (industrial? agricultural? mainly anything?)

Post by Cholmondely »

zx_cb wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:55 am
...maybe that is the kind of info that should not be hidden in the bellows of unpretending "Hidden Settings" article, with "out of memory" search returning fruitless.
I've added to the wiki page. I'm unsure that will be enough for people like myself who are not computer nerds, though. If I'm a new player with little computer awareness and 300 OXP's loaded, how will I ever work out where to look?
Comments wanted:
Missing OXPs? What do you think is missing?
Lore: The economics of ship building How many built for Aronar?
Lore: The Space Traders Flight Training Manual: Cowell & MgRath Do you agree with Redspear?
zx_cb
Competent
Competent

Post by zx_cb »

Cholmondely wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 7:11 am
I've added to the wiki page. I'm unsure that will be enough for people like myself who are not computer nerds, though. If I'm a new player with little computer awareness and 300 OXP's loaded, how will I ever work out where to look?
That is exactly my point - one doesn`t have to go grail-digging to find a tweak to the core software that is very required for its stable and smooth operation under multiple OXP burden (which is an advertised part of its functionality - hey, we do have a thousand mods, try them out!)

For completeness sake, I`ve added Useful MFDs to my main install, and no decrease of performance was felt to be noticed by naked eye after the script memory increase, my guess it isn`t a clue here at all when JS is choking on a default 32MB.